hotel & car rental Austria/Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have never been to Europe so I am feeling my way in the dark, but I am trying to arrange travel for my husband, who will be in Austria & Germany next month. The last leg of his trip (June 1) he will drive from Jenbach, Austria to Munich to fly out of Munich Airport early in the morning of June 2. From some earlier posts I discovered Hotel Moevenpick near the airport. I haven't yet investigated how the car rental system works there so am wondering -- does it make sense to drive to the hotel in Munich on Friday, find parking, then drive himself to the airport early the next morning, or would it be better to turn in the car on Friday (where, I don't know) and take a hotel shuttle to the airport? (I assume there are car rentals at or near the airport.) He will already have stayed over in Munich May 19 - May 25. A business contact has him staying at Hotel Laimer Hof for that week, which sounds very nice, but for his return for one night on June 1, I think it may be too far from the airport. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM

What I would do
1) drop the car at Munich-Airport the day before. All big car rental companies serve this airport.But there is an extra fee of 19% when dropping the car at the airport.
Your H can phone the Moevenpick for a pick-up or use public transportation to Hallbergmoos, where Moevenpick is situated. Less than 3 miles from the airport, so a taxi ride should be another option.
2) spend an overnight in Erding(home of the wellknown Erdinger wheat beer), approx. 8 miles from airport. Several car rental companies have stations there to drop the car and avoid the surcharge.
The BW Park-Hotel is a good choice. Next to train station with frequent connections to airport. Dont compare Best Western hotels in the States with those in Europe. The Park-Hotel is also a 4star.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi mefreen,
I can't agree more with the previous post. On our last 4 trips we did the exact plan as above.
In '01, '03 and '05 we stayed at the Moevenpick, which is excellent, and I returned the car to the airport the night before, got the hotel shutlle back to the Moevenpick and we both took the hotel shuttle the next morning.
In '06 we styed at the Best Western Park Hotel in Erding, also excellent, but we both dropped the car off the day before, took a cab back to the Park Hotel (20 Euros) and took a cab to the airport (we had to leave early, 5am, before the shuttle started). Park Hotel is 1 block across from the station and just a few minutes walk to the beautiful old town and pedestrian zone.

Paul
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:47 AM
JN

Picking up a car in Austria and dropping off in Munich will incur a huge drop off extra charge. A train gets your spouse to Munich in 2 hours or less, is cheaper and avoids any of the Autobahn's legendary traffic jams.

Try priceline for a hotel near the airport. Biddingfortravel.com will show the hotels often used by priceline and recent winning bids.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:08 AM
ira

Hi M,

DH should get his car in Munich, drive to Austria and return the car in Germany.

Otherwise he will pay a large drop off fee.

He will need an Austrian Road Tax sticker.

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:31 AM

It is a short train ride between Austira and Munich so that might be a good option unless you are set on driving. If you do drive you don't want to pay the huge drop off fee for pick up in one country and drop off in another so Ira's suggestion is excellent. You can buy the Austria sticker at any gas station and there is always one on the border between the two contries that sells the sticker. If I remember correctly the cost was about 11 Euro.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Is there more to do in Erding than Hallbermoos? Can you take a train directly from Erding tot he airport?
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 08:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
We stayed a couple of years ago at the Moevenpick in Hallbermoos. Didn't notice any town. It is located in an office park setting with really nothing else. We really enjoyed staying in Erding last year though. Very nice old town. I don't know anything about trains to the airport, but the station is just a block away. We took a cab for 20 Euros to the airport from the Park Hotel.

Paul
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Reply to Wolfmisc:
HELP - Maybe you can tell me how far Frankfurt Int'l Airport is from Avis car rental at 39 Schmidt Street, 60326, downtown Frankfurt by taxi and approximate cost. Regards, Andrea
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:51 PM

try plugging the addresses into maps.google.com - we plotted our whole Germany trip out this way and it's super accurate.