Hotel Amadeus or Alcantara in Seville?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Seville for 4 nights with my husband and 13 yo son in March. i prefer staying at the Santa Cruz area. Both hotels are available at that time and the prices are comparable. can you help me choose which of these two hotels to reserve. I read good comments on both. Thanks
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:47 AM

Not exactly as I haven't stayed at either (yet). However, I am thinking of booking Amadeus for very end of March through April 4th, and the hotel refused to give reservations this early (I just got the email today). They told me they won't book reservations for next year at this time, and that I should re-request in December.

So, how are you being able to reserve the Amadeus at this time for March? I am communicating directly with the hotel, and in Spanish. Cristina told me this.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 09:06 AM

igpjazz,
I haven't seen the 2 star Alcantara yet, but know the location (great) and from what Nick of Inns of Spain tells me, it has a paired down, minimalist look with more Ikea type furniture and clean, spare lines, plus an interior patio, that most all the hotels in the Santa Cruz quarter have. In case you haven't seen them already, you can view pictures and read reviews at
www.innsofspain.com
Not exactly basic dormitory style but not southern Spain charming or antique filled either. The tv is mounted hospital style, but everything is fresh and new because it hasn't been open all that long. There have been a couple of recent reviews here of the Alcantara if you do a text search (look for CathyM's remarks, among others).
But if you all are music lovers, the Amadeus should really please you. It's much more "sevillano" looking with pretty Andalusian tiles and filled with antiques, pianos, (concerts held downstairs), lots of typical Andalusian touches in the decor, a more "elegant" style. And the rooftop terrace has views of the Giralda and a great spot to relax. The night manager is a very sweet man who took lots of time out to show us around last spring. And it's a 3 star with an equally great location.
You can see the difference in the pics at www.hotelamadeussevilla.com

I tried to book the Amadeus for last May (but plans had to be changed subsequently), and was also told in the fall that they wouldn't accept bookings until Dec.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 09:08 AM
aj

My husband and I stayed at the Amadeus last May. I really enjoyed the hotel. I would call it a "boutique" hotel. There is a music theme to the hotel. Musical instruments and musical theme pictures on the walls. The entry way and lobby are covered with beautiful spanish tiles and there is a lovely fountain in the lobby. Our room was small but very clean and the towels were clean and fluffy every day. To reach the hotel you must walk down a very narrow street but it is not very far to walk. The staff was friendly, helpful and I would stay there again when in Seville. Enjoy your trip! The Santa Cruz area is close to most "sights" and you should be able to walk most everywhere.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:55 AM

I stayed in the Alcantara one year ago and it was an excellent choice. I had tried to book the Amadeus, but had no response from the hotel's Web site. Maribel (from here), Inns of Spain, and a nice little write up in National Geographic Traveler directed me to the Hotel Alcantara. The location is excellent and there's live flamenco in the adjoining building. It is rather sparse in terms of furnishings--like a clean IKEA-type decor--but the service was excellent and the buffet breakfast was lovely. Not lavish, but certainly tasty.

I would stay there again, but don't tell anyone! (It will become too difficult to book...)
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. I called Amadeus last August and of course they told me that it was too early to book for March. I sent an e-mail yesterday and they responded this morning for reservation in early March.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 01:25 PM

hmm.... that's interesting, they must have been answering emails yesterday. I wonder if it's because I requested a room during dates which they say are partly within their Santa Semana period. I was trying to avoid that by leaving on Palm Sunday, but they told me in the email they consider that period beginning April 2, which is the Fri. BEFORE Palm Sunday. In some Madrid hotels or elsewhere, I didn't see Easter rates start until at least April 6th. I don't know why they'll give you reservations for March and not me, but I guess there's nothing I can do but wait if I want. Do you know what email address you are using? I was using [email protected]
Old Nov 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM

This is a very old thread but I am in the exact position that the original writer was 5 years ago.

I am planning to be in Seville in several months and have the options of either one of these fine looking hotels.

If any more people have now been to either of them and can enlighten me to help me make a decision, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 02:30 AM

We stayed at Hotel Amadeus and loved it. However, the room was about as small a shoe box but I must say a very cute shoe box. Couldn't even fully open the bathroom door! But we still loved it. It even had musical note paper lining the cupboard in the room. We had breakfast on the roof terrace which was just the most beautiful thing to do, with a lovely view over the rooftops and church bells peeling around us. Some people recommend getting the slightly higher category of room which is a bit bigger. The family who own the hotel were very courteous and friendly even though they did not speak much English. The hotel was well located to everything in Sevilla, which is one of my favourite Spanish cities. Enjoy!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:13 AM

Well, I did end up staying there and I think I had a superior double room. It wasn't their top category, but it certainly wasn't small, so that's why I think maybe it was not the cheapest. It was very large, actually, and had a loveseat in addition to the double bed, and the room in general was pretty big. I as concerned about street noise (it is on a small narrow pedestrian street where a lot of people walk and it can be noisy at times), so got a room looking onto an interior small space, don't think you'd even call it a courtyard. Anyway, it was plenty quiet from the street --

however, the hotel was extremely noisy from the inside, that is my big complaint. I was on the second floor where some espresso machine is and and outer railing and area you can stand around and various guests would stand around out there right outside my door and talk really loud, as people usually do. ON top of that, the door to the room was extremely think and even had holes in it so it didn't block noise at all. Also, as they have this musical theme, the guy down in the lobby plays really loud music on some stereo system MOST of the day. You could never take a nap, if you wanted to. I guess he stopped that early enough in the evening if you go to bed late.

Oh, on top of that, my room was directly next to the maid's supply room, so they were at it in there at 6 am banging things around really loud.

So my advice is the higher the room the better to avoid all this noise, including the rude guests who make a lot of noise in the lobby and on that area with the coffee machine. The bed had really comfortable sheets, I remember that, and the room was a little worn/not the best furniture (mismatched pieces, the loveseat was very cheap, maybe something from a discount store some years ago), but the room was very large and comfortable enough. It's about what you'd expect from that level of small hotel, I think it is a 2*.

The staff were very nice in the lobby (a woman in particular). The guy who plays the loud music works at night and sometimes disappears for a time period, so once I couldn't get in the door for about ten minutes around 10-11 pm.

Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:17 AM

I, too, stayed at the Amadeus a few years ago. Liked it..and agree Iwould call it a boutique hotel.

It was not easy to find when trying to drive there by car..it is not really a street!

Enjoy...
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed there in November 06 and found the same thing as Christina, it was very loud. The music plays in the reception area at all hours, which if your room is nearby you cannot escape. Also the staff starts setting breakfast up quite early, which I also heard from my room. It was nice enough, with a spacious room and a good location, but I would need to be off the open reception area and away from common areas if I were to stay there again.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM

My first trip to Spain I stayed at Alcantara and absolutely loved it. I had travelled there for a Flamenco festival and was delighted to find out that the hotel was adjacent to the best place (IMHO) to see Flamenco in the city. Yes, the rooms are basic, but everything is clean and everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. I have read many great reviews about Amadeus, so I'm sure either will be great, but just to be able to hang out my window and hear the palmas of Flamenco next door would sway my vote

I travelled to the hotel by taxi so I had no difficulty finding it. If you want an even more centrally located hotel, take a look at Hotel Alminar (www.hotelalminar.com suggested to me when Alcantara was full). It is only 50 meters from the Cathedral. If it is available, I will stay there every time I go to Spain!

Either way, I'm sure you will have a lovely stay! I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:49 AM

"the best place (IMHO) to see Flamenco in the city"

Hi Kalikiana you did not specify which is your favorite venue for flamenco in Sevilla?
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 06:53 AM
yk

The flamenco venue is Casa de la Memoria. It is right next door to Hotel Alcantara.

Casa de la Memoria
c/Ximénez de Enciso, 28
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Although mostly everyone seems to suggest Amadeus more than Alcantara, those that have stayed do not really give such a glowing report. Alcantara, on the other hand, has better reviews, is higher up in tripadvisor AND is quite a bit cheaper!! As for the Alminar, I also checked on that one and it is much more expensive. Thanks again and anyone else with experience, chime in !!
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
yk

I can't compare the 2, but I've stayed at Alcantara in Feb 08. You can read my review there on Tripadvisor.

It is very basic, and I was surprised some TA reviewers call it a "boutique" hotel. Definitely NOT. It's basic and my single room was on the small side. I also mentioned in my review of potential noise from the inner courtyard where guests can eat breakfast (no one sat outside during my stay b/c it was Feb).
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 11:50 PM

I am leaning more and more towards the Alcantara, as it seems that they have more "consistent" rooms and not ones that are better/quieter/larger than others.

In terms of neighborhood, I understand that they are in the same. Is that correct?