Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Albergo Miramare, Positano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-albergo-miramare-positano-109278/)

lisa Mar 1st, 2001 02:00 PM

Hotel Albergo Miramare, Positano

How is the location of the Miramare, and has anyone stayed there? Would you recommend it? A friend & I are looking for a double with AC, someplace with a pool, & our budget is 300,000 lire per night. Miramare's website looks nice and the standard doubles are in our price range. (First choice was the Villa Franca but they're quoting a much higher rate...) Anything we should know about the Miramare?

up Mar 2nd, 2001 05:47 AM

topping

Maggie Mar 2nd, 2001 12:43 PM

Stayed there three years ago: <BR>Location-fabulous. Had a big terrace with a view to die for. <BR>Room-VERY small. We had booked the lowest price category and that's what we got (despite the hotel being pretty empty) <BR>Bathroom--even smaller with non-existent water pressure (literally could not take a shower.) <BR>Staff-generally aloof <BR> <BR>I still recall sitting on the terrace drinking wine and taking in the view as one of life's wonderful experiences but overall, I would not stay there again. Sorry.

lisa Mar 2nd, 2001 02:26 PM

Hmmm. Thanks for the input, Maggie. It is recommended in Fodor's but it's always good to hear about peoples' personal experiences. I'm wondering if there's any chance they've fixed the water pressure problem by now, because not being able to take a shower would definitely be a problem. I don't care so much about the room being small because we probably won't be in it much anyway. Anybody else?

lisa Mar 2nd, 2001 02:41 PM

Maggie & any others who might have an opinion: Here's the problem. The only other hotel in Positano with a pool that's in our price range is La Fenice, which sounds wonderful (we don't even mind the fact that it's a short walk from town), except for the fact that it doesn't have air conditioning and we're going in August. If you had to choose between La Fenice with no A/C in August, or Hotel Albergo Miramare with A/C, which would you choose? The thing is, I'm assuming it's going to be really hot and we'll wish we had AC, especially when trying to sleep at night -- but maybe since it's up on a hillside there are good breezes and we won't need AC anyway??

JEFF Mar 2nd, 2001 04:37 PM

I have not stayed in any of these hotels, but I found accommodation in Postitano to be very expensive- stay in Sorrento or Amalfi, and go to Positano for the day by bus. We stayed in Sorrento in August, 2000 with no air and it was fine, and in Amalfi with air but really did not need it either. We are from Texas and to us that was not hot- depends what part of the country you live in ,and what you are used to .

lisa Mar 5th, 2001 06:20 AM

Thanks Jeff. <BR>I noticed this weekend that Albergo Miramare is listed in both Frommer's and Fodors, so it seems like it couldn't be THAT bad -- I'm hoping Maggie's experience was an aberration or that any problems have been fixed by now. <BR>Anybody else have any thoughts?