Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Advice Please- Krakow, Budapest, Dubrovnik

Mar 31st, 2004, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

I am visiting Krakow, Budapest and Dubrovnik (as part of a larger European trip)in late August early September.

I would appreciate any advice on which hotels to stay at in these cities. I am looking at 3 to 4 star and centrally located as I will only have 4 or 5 days in each city. Seeing as I am travelling on the lowly Australian dollar I dont have a fortune to spend. (Oh to be earning pounds or euros!)

Any comments or feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:59 PM

We visited two of your destinations last fall. In Krakow we stayed at the Hotel Wentzl, a very nice small hotel directly on the square in the Old Town. The rate then was about 140 Euro per night double, incl. breakfast. In Budapest we stayed at the Hotel Victoria across the Danube from Parliament based on many favorable comments on this board. It was 107 Euro double, incl. bkfst. We were very pleased with the hotel and its location. We are visiting Dubrovnik this fall, so I can't help there.
Apr 25th, 2004, 07:53 PM

The Canadian dollar doesn't travel very well either! I was in Krakow and Budapest last year (liked the former a lot more than the latter but there is lots to see in both places). In Krakow I stayed in the Hotel Atrium. It was fine, nice staff about a five minute walk from the main square. I booked through hotelspoland.com because I couldn't find very many other sites which dealt with Poland. It was just under 120 Canadian per night including breakfast.
In Budapest I stayed on the Buda side at a pretty nice hotel called the Carlton for about 140 cdn. including breakfast(booked via HotelOnlineHungary.com). I preferred the Buda side of Budapest so the hotel worked well for me but there certainly seemed to be more choice of hotels on the Pest side.
Hope you have a great time (here's to the decline of the Euro and the Pound!)
Apr 25th, 2004, 09:18 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Polonia between the train station and old town Krakow. It was an easy walk of about 2 minutes to each. I paid about $50 in December 2000. The room was nice and the staff very helpful and English-speaking. I would not buy the breakfast ticket though as there are plenty of nice places to eat.
Apr 25th, 2004, 09:22 PM

We stayed at the modern and comfortable K&K Hotel Opera in Budapest and would recommend it highly. Walking distance to the Danube and Chain Bridge, walking distance to the embassy row, and walking distance to Deak Ter (main square) and St. Stephen's Basilica. K&K has hotels throughout eastern Europe.
May 16th, 2004, 06:58 PM

As of late April 2004 trip...
Hotel Victoria- Budapest. Great location, amzing views of Danube in every room, $125(US) night. Great breakfast. Small baths.

Hotel Pollera- Krakow- Good central location, nice new bathroom, about $75 (US)a night. OK breakfast. Did our laundry here and it wasn't that expensive. ($1 an item)
May 16th, 2004, 08:37 PM

We stayed at the Art Hotel in Budapest. Nice hotel with a breakfast buffet that included everything from fish to bacon and eggs. The rooms were comfortable with a nice view of the Fisherman's Bastion. We booked through Priceline at a very good rate for this 4 star hotel.
May 21st, 2004, 11:12 AM

I have to put in a good word about the Intercontinental in Budapest. Gorgeous hotel. It costs a few dollars more to get a room with a view, but staring out onto the Danube (the hotel is literally across the street from the Danube) with the castle in the background at sunset is amazing. The buffet breakfast is also quite good.
May 26th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Don't know if you have made your hotel reservations yet, but I highly recommend Hotel Saski. We stayed there last Oct. $93 per night for a triple room, incl hearty breakfast (besides the ususal cold breakfast buffet items, they will cook to order eggs with sausage, ham and/or bacon.)Location in Old Town, about 1/2 block form Main Square. Nice, helpful staff, very large room and adequate-size bathroom. Lovely 100-year old elevator in the lobby.