Hotel Advice in Scotland

Feb 28th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Advice in Scotland

We are planning a trip to Scotland in September and need advice on where to stay, somewhere between Inverness and Carnoustie. We will be driving down the Whiskey trail. Is there anyplace to stay in the Braemar area?

Our itinerary looks like this: Glasgow, Oban, Mull, Inverness, Carnoustie, Edinburgh.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank yo.
Feb 28th, 2003, 04:12 PM

ccpdgt: As long as you are not there the first weekend in September you will have absolutely no problem finding a nice place to stay in any price range. Braemar and all along the Dee is totally full of B&Bs, hotels and guest houses. It is a MAJOR tourist area including the Deeside villages, Balmoral and Braemar.

But the first weekend is the HUGE Braemar Gathering and Games -- probably the most famous Highland Games in the world. If that is your timeframe book something ASAP.

Mar 13th, 2003, 07:23 AM

I'm concerned about the idea of the first week in september because we'll be going to Mull that first weekend to be married. I already have reservations on the Isle of Mull, but we are planning to spend the night at oban on a weeknight before we cross the ferry. Will it be difficult to find accommodation in Oban at the time, and can you recommend any cenbtrally located B&Bs in Oban?
Mar 13th, 2003, 07:48 AM

No - you won't have any problems. The Braemar Games mentioned above are a LONG way from Oban/Mull.

Oban has MANY B&Bs and you should have an easy time finding a nice place to stay -- especially mid-week.
Mar 18th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Janis-
do you know anything about the Alexandra or Columba hotels in Oban? Some of the smaller B&Bs are already booked for my weeknight (even 6 months in advance) and I think maybe a larger hotel might be easier to book.
Mar 18th, 2003, 01:51 PM

There is IMHO not a decent hotel in the place. I've stayed in the Alexandra, and it's OK (ish). The Columba is in a stunning location. I haven't been in it for years but it was very run down for a while.

The Dungallan is probably OK, although it's a bit out of the centre, and thee's quite a good modern place, the name of which is escaping me
Mar 18th, 2003, 09:42 PM

I know there is a LOT of pro-Oban sentiment on this forum. But IMHO it is really just an old fashioned British seaside resort. LOTS of so-so hotels and B&Bs, a few really good B&Bs (which book up pretty fast), a hundred touristy gift shops, a couple of neat pubs and restaurants - but a lot more yucky ones, and the ferry piers. Just outside of Oban either N or S are some really great villages and wonderful B&Bs.
Mar 19th, 2003, 04:18 AM

Oban : The Dungallon is good, 10 mins walk from town centre.Oban is an old fashioned British seaside town, but most of these have closed down long since - Oban is still busy, still has fishing boats,excursions & ferries to the inner & outer Hebrides, and is set amongst great scenic beauty.
There is no such thing as the whisky trail, it is a recent invention to pull tourists into certain areas.Whisky is made all over Scotland.You may also be told that "Inverness is the gateway to the Highlands".It is nothing of the kind.Most visitors to the highlands never go near the place.
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Try the Manor House Hotel in Oban - stayed there and a few years ago and was very pleased with it.
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:43 AM

zippo - true there are distilleries all over Scotland. But don't tell the Sottish Tourist Board there is no such thing as the "Whisky Trail". They publish entire travel guides geared to the Grantown/Dufftown area called the Whisky Trail.

If one gets to distilleries elsewhere there isn't really a reason to go specifically to that region - but it has been called and marketed as the "whisky trail" for at least 25 years.
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:45 AM

ps: Just as there isn't a specific castle area - Castles are EVERYWHERE - but the area S and W of Aberdeen is the "Castle Trail"