Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel advice in Florence, Venice & Rome in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-advice-in-florence-venice-and-rome-in-italy-210584/)

Rita Nov 28th, 2001 12:48 AM

Hotel advice in Florence, Venice & Rome in Italy

Please advice any good and best bargain hotel/pension (2-3 stars)for the above places as my husband and I are going there in the coming Easter. Thanks!

Alice Nov 28th, 2001 01:08 AM

I would recommend Pensione La Calcina: great location away from the crowds on the lovely residential promenade of the Zattere. Beautiful views of the giudecca canal, and lovely terrace on the water. Helpful staff and very comfortable rooms.

rita yeung Nov 28th, 2001 01:18 AM

Hi Alice<BR>But which city is the pension that you mentioned stationed at? In Florence, Venice or Rome and how much is the rate?

Mary Beth Nov 28th, 2001 04:27 AM

My husband and I just returned from a vacation to Italy. By far, our best hotel surprise was the Hotel Liana in Florence. For L200,000 we got a large beautifully decorated room with a bath, fabulous breakfast and a friendly staff. It's in a residential area, rather than in the center, but it's very quiet and close to several great family-run restaurants.

Marianna Nov 28th, 2001 04:32 AM

Hi Rita,<BR>I live and work in Rome as a tour guide so thought I would help out with some recommendations.<BR><BR>Hotel Teatro di Pompeo<BR>Largo del Pallaro, 8, 00186<BR>Phone # 06 6872812 <BR>email: [email protected]<BR><BR>This is a lovely small and reasonably priced 2 star hotel right near Campo di Fiori so it is in a fantastic location. This area is a wonderful place for restaurants and to sit in the Piazza sipping wine and people watching. It is also easy to go to any of the main sites, either by walking, bus or taxi from here.<BR><BR>Try the trattoria right next door, Tattoria del Pallaro. Here you will get typical Italian food with mama running around to see that all is well.(no need to order as they just bring it all out), costs about &pound;35,000lire includes wine.<BR><BR>Hotel Pomezia<BR>Via dei Chiavari 13, 00186 Roma<BR>Tel 06 6861371<BR>Email: [email protected] <BR>This is a medium priced hotel that is also centerally located near Campo di Fiori. Very charming and convenient for shopping and sightseeing.<BR><BR>Residenza San Pantaleo is a pensione and a great place to stay. Perfect location, clean and a good price with nice people running it. Right by Piazza Navona. <BR>www.residenzasanpantaleo.com<BR><BR>Hotel Smeraldo<BR>Vicolo Dei Chiodaroli 9, Roma 00186<BR>Phone: 06 687 5929<BR>Hotel Smeraldo<BR>Vicolo Dei Chiodaroli 9, Roma 00186<BR>Phone: 06 687 5929<BR>This is a very inexpensive hotel and I know many who have stayed there and say it is quite adequate. It is very well located right by Campo di Fiori in the historical centre and it has very friendly staff.<BR><BR>Albergo del Sole<BR>Email: [email protected]<BR>This hotel is a 2 star and also near the famous Campo di Fiori. The Albergo del sole is a medium priced hotel that is pleasant with kind hospitality .<BR><BR>Rita hope this gives you some ideas, but please feel free to email me direct (or anyone else) if you need any other recommendations or general help at all.<BR>Regards<BR>Marianna

elaine Nov 28th, 2001 04:32 AM

Rita<BR>La Calcina is in Venice. It has a wonderful reputation, but for my personal taste is a little too far away from the hub of Piazza San Marco, because I prefer to be closer.<BR>I have long files on your cities, including hotel info; if you'd like to see them, email me.<BR>You can do a search on this message board for "Venice hotel", etc and find many past recommendations, and also check the Fodor's hotel recommendations elsewhere on this website.

ron Nov 28th, 2001 07:37 AM

Rita I just returned fromItaly and stayed at the Hotel Teatro inRome. It's small ,service ok . great breakfast room in the caves but a bit pricy 170 a night. Take a look at Hotel Smeraldo as mentioned I believe it's cheaper and believe it or not it's less than a 2 minute walkfrom Hotel Teatro. In Florence highly recommend Hotel Casci. Great location,service and price was 90 a night. In Venice go with La Calcina we loved the place . It's right on the large canal and it is not that far from San Marco. were in our 50"sa and walked all around very easily plus it's less crowded and right near the Acadamia and Gugguiem museums.You can also take a short gondalo ride for 50 cents after visiting the Chapel S. Maria near the gugenheim that takes you accross the canal to San Marco. We walked several timesto San Marco and found it easy. La Calcina was 155 a night. Great place lovely breakfast an sitting area. Ron

marj Nov 28th, 2001 10:22 AM

i also recommend the hotel casci in florence. www.hotelcasci.com