Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotel advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-advice-482997/)

trishiad Oct 28th, 2004 08:31 AM

hotel advice

Okay, I now know what to pack for my 3 year old and that it's worth the cost of the train to hop over to brussels for chocolate and the grand place but now I'm terribly confused about where to stay. You have all been so helpful I was hoping I could impose one last time?
A friend recommended the Familia but I just read a bunch of bad reviews and feel like I'm swimming in a sea of Parisian hotels. We are husband and wife in our early 30's travelling with a 3 year old critter from SFO to Paris for a week in late February or early March. We are pretending we can afford to take this trip so inexpensive is as important as location. By inexpensive I mean well under 100 E. We will dine early (out of respect for folks travelling without critters) and probably take a stroll after dinner before heading back to the hotel. We won't need the opera or theatre or nightclubs. I require pastries at all times. A fridge for critter milk would be super. We'd love to be able to walk to as many attractions as possible, gardens, eiffel tower, arcs, a museum or two so we don't have to drag the critter on and off of buses and trains everyday ( a few days will be fine).
Clean is great but I don't mind the odd dustbunny. Shower or tub ensuite please.
I'm thinking we want to be in the 5th, 6th, or 7th but correct me if I'm wrong.

I've read a billion reviews on just as many sites in the last week and am having a hard time choosing based on reviews from people who may or may not be anything like me.
any suggestions would be SO aprreciated.
trish

smacknmo Oct 28th, 2004 08:47 AM

Try putting Paris hotels in the "search this forum" box and alot of info should pop up. You can also enter a hotel's name to see if it was ever discussed here before. No experience with Paris, yet! Sorry.

Underhill Oct 28th, 2004 08:48 AM

Reposting your message with Paris in the title will bring many more responses than just "hotel advice."

StCirq Oct 28th, 2004 08:52 AM

I like the Hôtel de France in the 7me. Easy walk to Rodin Museum, Tour Eiffel, Les Invalides, and the Seine. Three blocks to Ecole Militaire métro stop, and a couple of bus lines are just a hop away. Nice, clean hotel, friendly staff (we've been there often with our kids since they were little like yours); minibar; high-speed internet access in lobby if that's of interest; rue Cler is three minutes away; and it's inexpensive - I think 72€ for a double. Some rooms have (tiny) balconies overlooking Les Invalides, which is lit up at night. Rooms ARE small, but aren't they pretty much small everywhere in Paris except at the high-priced hotels?

website is www.hoteldefrance.com

elaine Oct 28th, 2004 09:06 AM

Hi
Here are just a few often-praised hotels, they are at or close to your price range, you could search by name for these (or others) here or at
www.tripadvisor.com. Check regarding minibars.

Grand Hotel des Balcons 6th
Hotel St Jacques 5th
Residence Monge (5th)

Hotel Bonaparte 6th definitely has minibars fax 01-46-33-57-67

College de France 5th www.hotel-collegedefrance.com

Degres de Notre Dame
5th, www.lesdegreshotel.com

Dhely's 22 rue de l'Hirondelle, 6th
Fax :(33) 1 43 26 51 06 no elevator

Grand Hotel Leveque 7th
www.hotel-leveque.com

Home Latin 5th
www.homelatinhotel.com

Many Paris double hotel rooms are quite small, and you'll have to inquire as to whether an extra cot/bed would be available or whether it will even fit.

This isn't a romantic suggestion, but twin-bedded rooms (a 'twin room' will have two beds, a 'double room' often just one bed) often have a bit more floor space (that could accommodate an extra bed or just stuff), on average, than double-bedded rooms, so it's something to consider.

I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at

[email protected]

trishiad Oct 28th, 2004 09:09 AM

Reposted with the word Paris in title, thanks

ira Oct 28th, 2004 11:50 AM

Hi trish,

I think that the Bonaparte would be ideal for you, except that a dbl is 120E w/bkfst served in the room.

It is in the 6th at 61 Rue Bonaparte, across the street from Pierre Herme and 2 blks from Laduree.

They do provide a crib.

Last time we were there they set up a play pen for a little critter.