Hotel Abel in Krakow

Dec 5th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Abel in Krakow

Anyone have an experience with Hotel Abel in Krakow?
Is the Jewish quarter a good area to stay in as far as convenience is concerned?
Will be there inmid- Janoary.
Dec 6th, 2004, 08:19 AM

topping for Dave
Dec 6th, 2004, 08:34 AM

I just returned from Krakow last night... take your warmest clothing, as they told me that it will be well below zero in January.

I found the city easy to walk around - and didn't find the Jewish quarter to be that far from everything else.
The book store just across from the Remuh synagogue and cemetery arranges a tour around Schindler... I didn't have time to take it, but plan to next time I go.

Something else to remember is that the major sites all close earlier in the winter. I was unable to visit Wavel Castle this trip because it closed at 3 PM.
I haven't had time to write a report yet, but if you'd like the names of some restaurants, etc., you can email me at [email protected]
Patricia
Dec 15th, 2004, 09:16 AM

A belated reply, but...

I cannot comment specifically on Hotel Abel, but I stayed in Hotel Eden in the Jewish quarter (which I can wholeheartedly recommend - a true bargain) last August. I don't think it's too far from the centre. The Jewish quarter is within a 20-25 minute walk from the train station.
Dec 20th, 2004, 10:52 AM

my husband and I have just come back from krakow. We were there from the 13th to the 16th and booked at the Abel on the strength of their website which made the hotel seem very pleasant indeed. However I can only say we were very disappointed and felt very misled. The hotel was very smokey. The room we were given was small and drab in the extreem, a dull butterscotch instant whip colour, which will make sense if you are English and of a certain age. The bed was hard and only a foam mattress and the bottom sheet was shorter than the mattress, there was not a single picture on the wall but I would say the room was clean.

Before booking we had also looked at the Alef's web site and had decided that at the low cost of accommodation in Krakow that a night in a suite at the Alef at 69 euros was unneccessarally extravagant. If you've seen Schindlers List the Alef was apparently used for some of the filming and Steven Spielberg and Ben Kingsley stayed in the suites there.

When we saw the room we went round the corner to the Alef and treated ourselves to two nights in a suite which was well worth the money. Nice furniture, comfy beds, pictures, rugs absolutely wonderful. The web site says its decorated with Antiques but I would say they're not that posh more bric a brac with good paint effects

The Alef also have two other Hotels which are cheaper and if the suite we had can be taken as a guide then I would look at these if you cannot stretch to the original Alef. I imagine these would be simpler rooms in style but probably of a good standard. The suites do not have t.v.s in the rooms and a hairdryer was not provided. The other Alef Hotels do have t.v.s apparently

I do help this helps. Going back to the Abel at night would have been depressing to say the least. I hope this helps you. If nothing else at least we were not committed to stay at the Abel.