Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotel abbazia venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-abbazia-venice-695994/)

Smiley4 Apr 11th, 2007 11:44 AM

hotel abbazia venice

Hi,
Anyone stayed at Hotel Abbazia in Venice?
Prices for a double room in May £120.Is this a good price for Venice...not sure...pls reply urgently as I need to book asap.
Thankyou

ellenem Apr 11th, 2007 11:51 AM

Looks nice. The price is low because of the location which is on the other side of Venice from most of the main sights. In Venice this is not that much of a problem, since the city is not that large.

Have you checked tripadvisor.com for reviews?

Colleen Apr 11th, 2007 12:18 PM

Hi Smiley4
My husband and I stayed at the Abbazia in Venice March 25, 26 and 27th. Although I liked the hotel i.e. it was near the train station, had a very nice lobby, great breakfasts and the nicest staff we encounted in 25 nights in Italy, it was about 45 minute walk to St. Marks. This did give us a wonderful chance to explore Cannaregio. There is a vaporetto stop very near the hotel. We did book the superior room but found it dark, partly because it was decorated in darker blues and partly because of taller neighbouring buildings. I thought the price was good value so have mixed feelings about the hotel. Hope this helps.

Girlspytravel Apr 11th, 2007 08:52 PM

Smiley-Hotel Abbazia is ideally located, and as far as I'm concerned, one of the nicest hotels you could select in Venice, full of character-it used to be a monastery-it's right there off the Lista di Spagna from the train station, around great restaurants, bacaros and shopping. You've near 3 vaporetto stops-150 yards from the train station, Ca d'Oro, Guglie, so I don't quite understand Colleen's comments -there's no need to walk to San Marco-and there's really no need to go down to San Marco when you're in Cannaregio, which is the charming authentic heart of Venice-just take a traghetto across to the fruit and vegetable market at Rialto-you're right where it's happening, yet, in a lovely little haven of quiet, on a canal, with its own garden terrace area, nice lounge bar, lovely rooms. Really, I don't know what more you could want in a hotel. It is one of the highest rated hotels on Trip Advisor. This is one of the places I'd choose to stay if I were to stay in a hotel.

Take a look for yourself:

www.abbaziahotel.com/en/index.htm

luvtotravel Apr 11th, 2007 10:18 PM

A friend of mine stayed there last week and liked it. She noted that her room was extremely quiet.

Leburta Apr 11th, 2007 11:27 PM

Stayed there several years ago. The staff was helpful and polite. The location was ideal for us because we had an early morning train. This allowed us to avoid having to get boat transportation to the station that early.

I'm sure that there are many nice hotels more centrally located. That is a very good price for Venice, however.