Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hot Meal on the Champs Elysees for Less than 10euros? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hot-meal-on-the-champs-elysees-for-less-than-10euros-829860/)

tod Mar 8th, 2010 01:30 AM

Hot Meal on the Champs Elysees for Less than 10euros?

Kerouac, In Jan, 2007 there was a post about cheap meals. You replied to Norween and said" "As working people know, you can even eat a hot meal on the Champs Elysees for less than 10euros" - OK, that was 3 years ago but I would like some of your inside information about cheap eats on the Champs or just off it will do.
Thanks in advance.

Gretchen Mar 8th, 2010 04:04 AM

It might have been at the cafeteria at Le Madeleine (isn't that the end of the Champs).

tod Mar 8th, 2010 08:17 PM

I have no idea where Le Madeleine is, but taking a guess I think you are probably right about it being down the far end at the bottom.
I don't think Kerouac was referring to places that distance from the main hub around George V.
Hoping you see this post at sometime Kerouac......

tod Mar 8th, 2010 08:34 PM

ttt

Cathinjoetown Mar 8th, 2010 10:40 PM

Well, there's Chez Mac although the full whack there would probably set you back more than 10 euros.

Seriously, I once stayed at the Marriott on the C.E. and if you cross over from there and go down the side streets opposite, there are some reasonable bistros, a Middle Eastern restaurant, etc.

10 euros? Probably not for a full meal but the M.E. restaurant had selections under 10 e.

Gretchen Mar 9th, 2010 03:40 AM

Are you staying there? It is a pretty sterile area for almost everything--in my opinion.

tod Mar 9th, 2010 08:27 PM

Cathinjoetown: I am discounting MacD's as a proposed venue for a hot meal. We have had breakfast there once or twice but its my least favourite of any of the Mac's in Paris.
The side street you are probably mentioning - could it be Rue de Berri?

Gretchen: Not staying on the Champs Elysees but further up in La Defense. As the metro runs all the way down, it is very handy for this year's Tour de France.
Seeing we will be hanging out there the weekend of the Finale`, thought we may grab something to eat and remembered Kerouac's post in my notes. He works in Ave. George V so I'm sure knows every inch of the area !

kerouac Mar 9th, 2010 11:24 PM

I am still eating a couple times a week at Chez Quan at 66 avenue des Champs Elysées for 6.60€ total. There are two or three other places at that address that practice similar prices.

tod Mar 10th, 2010 01:23 AM

Thank you so much Kerouac!- if you think of any others please add them - its a long time to July........sigh

Cathinjoetown Mar 10th, 2010 05:34 AM

Hope you know I was joking about Chez Mac.

Not Rue de Berri but opposite side of the C. E. I think the streets were Rue Lincoln, Rue Quentin Bauchart and Rue Bassano--heading more or less toward the river.