Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hot/Fashionable/New Restaurants and Bars in Paris -- writing article for magazine (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hot-fashionable-new-restaurants-and-bars-in-paris-writing-article-for-magazine-376067/)

LulubelleT Jun 9th, 2008 04:48 PM

Hot/Fashionable/New Restaurants and Bars in Paris -- writing article for magazine

All,

I am going to Paris Friday for a few days of relaxation before a business trip begins the following Tuesday. Also, I write for a significant style/lifestyle publication in the mid-atlantic. I am doing a story on "What's Hot in Paris" that will be published in the fall.

I need help with Bars and Restaurants. We are already scheduled to dine at L'Atelier Joel Robouchon but need other suggestions we can check out.

This is what the concierge at Pavillon de la Reine suggested:

Sensing www.restaurantsensing.com
This is a first restaurant modern of Guy Matin, chef of 3 star Guide Michelin "Grand vefour".

2.Ozu http://ozu-paris.com/
A tony Japanese restaurant inside the new CinéAqua aquarium.

3.Citrus etoile http://www.citrusetoile.fr/

4.Unico http://www.resto-unico.com
A best restaurant Argentine in Paris.

Unico looks great, Ozu interesting too...Also, has anyone heard of Liza?

Also, bars that are new/interesting/"hot" are welcome too! Note we're late thirties, like to think we're slightly hip but the reality is we have three kids and live in the DC suburbs!

Thanks for all your help!

Elizabeth

StCirq Jun 9th, 2008 06:31 PM

How is it that a "significant style/lifestyle publication" hires someone to write an article about what's hot in Paris who doesn't already know that by virtue of living there or spending gobs of time there?

This is why I abandoned all my subscriptions to "significant publications."

LulubelleT Jun 9th, 2008 07:06 PM

Yikes! Obviously a mid atlantic US magazine wouldn't have a Paris bureau...

It's a style/lifestyle publication that is published six times a year and is distributed nationally. I know enough people (many by the way who are natives and expats of 10 plus years) but wanted also to get independent "votes" since the Fodors forum users are quite sophisticated...

As you know, when concierge makes recommendations, it is based on relationships and favors.

StCirq Jun 9th, 2008 07:25 PM

I "get" not having a Paris bureau. I also "get" that you're doing your research in a VERY good place, with a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people. In your place, I'd do the same.

I'm just curious, as a publisher myself, and also a freelance travel writer who's been writing for more than 30 years. I never got an assignment where I didn't pretty much already know the scoop. No one ever hired me who didn't know "this woman's been to X 15 times, speaks the language, has loads of contacts, and knows the hot spots." Must be a different climate in travel writing these days - I wouldn't know. I've been out of that loop for quite a few years.

LulubelleT Jun 9th, 2008 07:41 PM

Let's put it this way -- they know I know the right people to get the correct information. They also have ZERO budget to send anyone anywhere. I have a French client, I was going anyway, low hanging fruit for magazine.

I have three small children under 5, a recently laid off husband, nanny and big mortgage. I need all the work I can get!

Leely2 Jun 9th, 2008 07:54 PM

StCirq, it seemed strange to Fodorites on the Africa board when Fodor's had an editor asking regs there for info because he (or was it a she?) was going to be writing their latest East Africa safari book.

The editor had never been on a safari. There were those of us on that board who were sick with envy. Not me, though, of course. I am above such feelings. Ha. ha.

So apparently it does happen.

Kristina Jun 9th, 2008 07:55 PM

I think you would have received more helpful replies if you had not declared yourself writing a story on "What's Hot in Paris".

Personally, I like to assume the writers of such articles have some special knowledge, or at least a clue, but I really wonder how much you know about travel and Paris when you ask (in another post) about the best way to get euros or if people still use traveler's checks.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be harsh, but you need to do your homework. If that includes posting messages here, that's fine, but since you are the one being paid for the story, it feels a little like you are hoping others have the answers that you, as the writer, of such a story should already have.

Finally, you might want to check out the www.chowhound.com message board for France for ideas.

Leely2 Jun 9th, 2008 07:58 PM

postscript to Lulubelle. Let us know what you come up with when you're back. I'm curious to read what your findings are. Have fun!

dlejhunt Jun 9th, 2008 08:07 PM

Just read about a restaurant called Spring, run by an American. There was an article in the Chicago Trib, I think the guy is from Chi. Anyway, it is supposed to be a hot ticket and you might want to check it out.

Also I have heard good buzz about the restaurant in the new Musee Quai Branly. I can't recall the name off the top of my head...sorry. We are headed to Paris on Saturday and hope to get into this place. We are also hoping to go to L'Atelier - were you able to make reservations?

francophile03 Jun 9th, 2008 08:21 PM

I'm sorry I think it's poor form to post a thread asking other members to furnish info. for your magazine article. I've seen this thing done before by someone else in another very popular travel forum. That person wanted information to publish on his website. I did think the Fodors editor asking for information to be the same situation.

djkbooks Jun 9th, 2008 08:24 PM

Now I know why so many articles featured on the cover of a magazine are so disappointing.

I don't think you can be the least bit authoritative from such a short visit by going to just a few places recommended by the Concierge.

jelane Jun 9th, 2008 09:10 PM

I don't understand some of the posters on this forum, often times when people are honest and just want some help, they get blasted when they don't give enough information they get blasted, and I also think that before they give information they see who they are and where they are from. They will start a huge political argument and go back and forth for hours but won't answer a question unles it falls into a certain guideline. Tons of wonderful information on this forum but depends on what sort of mood the regulars are in. LuLubelle, wish I knew some of these retaurants, but they do sound interesting. Good luck with your work and research.

hopingtotravel Jun 9th, 2008 09:13 PM

Maybe that explains why so many articles written on Oregon, Alaska, San Diego, and other places I know or have known well, all smack of something written by an 8 year-old who didn't pick very good places to go.

francophile03 Jun 9th, 2008 09:16 PM

To me there is a clear difference between someone who is asking travel related questions for personal use vs. someone who is doing so for work.

global_guy Jun 10th, 2008 03:15 AM

Since I make my living as an editor of and former writer for a VERY significant style and lifestyle publication I feel especially qualified to weigh in on this one.

First, to Lulubelle; Not all concierges make recommendations based on favors, but the crappy uninformed ones do. Concierges at the most up-to-the-minute, style setting boutique hotels don't simply herd guests to places that give kickbacks. They are much more aware of what's new and hot than concierges at, say, the local Hilton and the reputation of leading boutique hotel concierges is predicated on their ability to plug guests into the local scene. The concierges at the Hilton, for example, will know which Michelin Starred place you might like and how to get a good table, but they are much less likely to know which underground party spot opened last week. Likewise they'll know what exhibitions are being staged at the big museums, but they probably have no clue about the local independent arts scenes.

StCirq; believe it or not, but people who cover the "newest and hottest" beat professionally (and not merely occasionally, like it sounds Lulubelle might) can often find the hottest places before or at the same time as the local population. You just have to know where to look, who to ask, and in a sense, what to ask. My personal, hard and fast rule for covering the "what's cool" beat is this; If the restaurant, hotel, bar, lounge etc. has already been covered in a North American magazine or newspaper, then I don't want to cover it: Style mags are either derivative or trend setting, and I think you can't call yourself trend setting if your readers might have seen your content elsewhere. Precisely how I can be the first to cover something, I'll leave it to the imagination, but suffice it to say, it's not impossible. It does take more footwork than asking on web forums ;)

Also to StCirq; At first I was surprised to see that you said that you rarely headed somewhere without knowing the scoop, but then I re-read your comments. Yes, if someone assigned something to me, they might request an angle or specific scoop, but I also got to the point where I could pitch "what's cool in X" articles to editors. In those cases I was adamant that I couldn't tell the editor what my article would be about since I hadn't seen it yet.

Kristina; Writers covering "what's cool" should certainly have special amount of knowledge, but for general travel articles? I dunno. I guess it depends if the editor is asking for say, an art expert to discuss the "10 best independent art galleries in London" or if they are simply asking for a run-of-the-mill "72 Hours in Paris" article. If it's the latter, you don't need to speak French to know that the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame are must-dos for newbies. I think it depends on the editorial standards and expectations for a specific assignment. "Having a clue" should indeed be prerequisite! Like yourself, I wouldn't want to read a "Paris Travel Tips" article that starts by saying "First things first; leave the travelers cheques at home, and while we're on the subject, those Frenchies get their Euros from an ATM just like we do back home."

Finally, to Djkbooks and Hopingtotravel; The main reason that so many travel articles are weak, is that too many lazy writers simply stick to the hand fed itineraries provided by the organization (like the Los Angeles Tourism Board) hosting the press trip. But for a few exceptions, articles end up looking the same when cities have something special to promote (like an upcoming event or exhibition) and they parade tons of journalists to the same places hoping to promote something specific.

ira Jun 10th, 2008 06:40 AM

Hi L,

Citrus Etoile was on my list of places to go on our recent visit to Paris, but my Lady Wife thought that it was too trendy for us.

The resto at the Branly is http://www.lesombres-restaurant.com/

((I))

LulubelleT Jun 10th, 2008 06:41 AM

Hi all! Interesting debate...was hoping to get more input.

I did have Les Ombres (Musee Quai Branley) and Spring on my list! I have many suggestions from many sources and thought I'd solicit additional opinions...whoops!

Also, for the record, I did live in Paris for a year, have been several times, am going again to visit all places that make the list and am not recycling press releases!

I have been speaking and emailing with some native Parisians who are WAY hipper (and younger) than I could ever be and they have given interesting input as well. I wanted specifically to see what Fodorites thought of concierges recos as only one overlapped with my on the ground sources...

I still welcome any names if interested!

Dlejhunt: We're going to L'Atelier on Sunday evening. Pavillon concierge made the reservations at my request. We fly out Friday, land Saturday!!!

PS Been on Chowhound.com as well and have done quite a lot of legwork, merci beaucoup! I have a Paris file 4 inches thick and an aggressive itinerary to make sure all nominations are vetted/experienced.

avalon Jun 10th, 2008 06:44 AM

The new Mini Palais cafe in the grand Palais is supposed to be hot right now.

Katie_H Jun 10th, 2008 06:55 AM

Just a note about the Fodor's safari editor; as the editor, she did not write the guide---each guide has it's own team of writers who are frequent travelers to the specific destination or more often than not, locals, to write the majority of the guide content. Alexis did go on safari while working on the guide though.

Many of her posts were asking for your experience because we do include in the guides sections of your tips and experiences under sections titled "Word of Mouth". Members are quoted in that section and it's clear that the information is coming from travelers posting in our Forums.

nukesafe Jun 10th, 2008 07:03 AM

I don't know if Dans le Noir http://www.danslenoir.com/accueil/accueil.php
qualifies as trendy, but it certainly is unusual. also the Ice Bar at the Kube Hotel http://www.kubehotel.com/
may not be so unusual now, but it is the only one in Paris.

Enjoy your research in Paris!

:-)