Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hostility in Travel Talk (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hostility-in-travel-talk-306710/)

Amber_Jean Apr 13th, 2003 01:01 PM

Hostility in Travel Talk

I am amazed and disappointed at how much hostility is on this site. Some of you are downright rude. We are all trying to gain and relay information. Let's make this a little more positive for pete sake. At the moment I am refering to the topic of using Neosporin on air flights. If someone feels that is going to help, well then maybe it does or will for them. Give us a break, not insults.

chrisp Apr 13th, 2003 01:08 PM

Ditto. Like Rodney King said "Why can't we all just get along"

Scarlett Apr 13th, 2003 01:15 PM

<BR>I find it best when a thread goes ugly to just not read it anymore. <BR>I refuse to let these things upset me. There are so many worse things in life these days than unpleasant posters on a travel board.<BR>

bettyk Apr 13th, 2003 01:25 PM

Amber Jean, it's much better now than prior to registration! Of course, it can still get a little (?) testy on occasion.

Linds Apr 13th, 2003 01:25 PM

Amen, guys. Just let the nasties fall off the top-50.<BR><BR>I'm fairly new around here, but I've picked up on one thing. If you ask a too-general question, or one that's been asked before, some folks seem to act like the poster is wasting their time. I see a lot of stuff to the effect of &quot;you should do a search for X before posting&quot;. I think a lot of newbies don't get their questions answered because of that sort of reception. I'm all for using the text search tool (I do it ALL the time), but it's always a good idea to get a new spin on an old topic.<BR><BR>Just my 2 cents/pence/whatever. What do y'all think?

Scarlett Apr 13th, 2003 01:31 PM

I think that is true in some cases but then again, how many times does one feel like advising on what shoes to pack :)<BR>I always try to put in a text search or go to Google before coming on with a thread here, why ask others to do what I am able to do?<BR>Then, there are just some cranky days when people want to be mean:)

mpprh Apr 13th, 2003 01:41 PM

What are you talking about ?<BR>Hostility ?<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>

ThinGorjus Apr 13th, 2003 01:41 PM

Amber Jean, there always has been hostility on this site, which is normal when people's opinions conflict. However, there are those who love to pick a fight. Just ignore them because their egos become complete by making you upset. As my idol, Edina Margaret Rose Monsoon, would say to them, &quot;Sod off, sweetie.&quot;

Linds Apr 13th, 2003 01:41 PM

Hey, I like the shoe threads! But then, I have a problem when it comes to shoes. Hee-hee.

Scarlett Apr 13th, 2003 01:48 PM

<BR>Linds, there is a difference in asking if one should wear white sneakers or if one just wants to talk about shoes.<BR><BR>I will always be happy to talk about shoes:) <BR>If one is not buying shoes, one should be able to talk about them:)

gocats2002 Apr 13th, 2003 01:48 PM

Amber Jean,<BR><BR>The writer asked a question and was looking for an answer. I thought she got pretty good advise. <BR><BR>In fact, I've had major problems with colds on trans-Atlantic flights, and I plan to use saline nose spray and vasoline in my nose my next flight, after reading the thread. <BR><BR>I see nothing wrong with people pointing out that Neosporin was not designed to combat the common cold, and, other than as a moisturizer, is not a weapon in the arsenal in the battle against the common cold. <BR><BR>Ya gotta separate the wheat from the chaf.

Marilyn Apr 13th, 2003 02:03 PM

I will suggest a newbie do a search when I know for a fact that there is a previous thread(s) that has loads of pertinent information. It's not that I'm annoyed, but rather that the newbie can find what they are looking for without waiting for responses or hoping to get the same info twice.<BR><BR>As for rudeness on this site, those of you who were not here pre-registration really have NO idea how bad it can get!

bookchick Apr 13th, 2003 02:44 PM

Amber Jean, I'm afraid Marilyn is right, before registration one could sense more than hostility, it was unbelievable. As snippy as some posts are now, it's nothing like &quot;the old days&quot;. My own rule for posting is that if I can't take the post seriously or comment in a constructive way, I'll stay off it. If a thread turns nasty, I will try to ignore it &amp; let it sink. Life's too short, folks, we've all got to try to stay sane &amp; civilized.<BR><BR>BC

escholtzia Apr 13th, 2003 03:04 PM

Margaret Rose? Are you sure??

Tango Apr 13th, 2003 03:25 PM

I agree. I love this website but I have to take breaks from it because people are so rude! I would bet these people displaying rudeness would NEVER act like that in person. I believe they use the anonymity of this site to take out their personal frustrations!

Flyboy Apr 13th, 2003 03:48 PM

The positive side to negative people is the wonderful opportunity they give others to provide a refreshing contrast. :o)

Sue4 Apr 13th, 2003 05:11 PM

I just ignore the rude posters. I have picked up many wonderful travel hints on this forum (like using saline nose spray!) and will continue to do so, hopefully. If you don't want to talk about shoes, then don't open up that thread; etc.!!

suejohntoots Apr 13th, 2003 08:42 PM

I'm a new Fodorite, and have received excellent, helpful info from very kind strangers via this site. I've enjoyed perusing several of the threads as well and am amazed at how truly helpful so many of you are...I'm grateful for the opportunity to participate.<BR>As far as &quot;hostility&quot; goes....close the thread! Ignore it! That's the true beauty of this.