Hostess gifts for England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Any suggestions for a hostess gift for a single lady who is giving us a one day tour of Liverpool and a family where we will be staying two nights? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Hi Carole: Since I have friends in England who are kind enough to put me up, I have usually given them things like food products from home that I know they can't get there. I have also brought along distinctive note paper sets, paper table napkins, cups/saucers, mugs, placemats, things of that nature. I have also brought some types of candies and sweets that are made where I live. I would think things from your own home town would much appreciated. I know I would like them! I hope that helps.<BR><BR>Dale
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:32 AM
vcl

Last autumn, Welsh friends were delighted with a crystal block etched with the New York City skyline. We also brought baseball caps embroidered with our hometown name to remind them where they are to visit next.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:11 AM

You might also consider a bottle of spirits purchased from the duty free shop. Spirits are really expensive in the UK. I always take my uncle a bottle of Bacardi.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Carole -<BR><BR>I don't know where you're from, but when I last visited a friend in the UK, I took her a regional cookbook. At the time I was living in Texas - so of course it was a Tex-Mex cookbook. She really got a kick out of it. I also recall taking a carry on bag full of tortilla chips (at her request - they weren't available in England at the time - they might be now) and a bottle of spicy barbecue sauce from a local BBQ restaurant - weird maybe, but appreciated just the same.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,<BR>Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I found out the single lady loves music so CDs are the answer for her - plus easy to pack. For the family I am going with a bottle of spirits (which I heard is very expensive in the UK) and some candy for the kids. Thanks again for all the thoughtful suggestions.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 04:10 AM

Funny, I've never thought os spirits in the UK being that expensive (any more than anything else anyway) - perhaps it appears so for outsiders.<BR><BR>Having said that, good quality alcohol is a traditional and welcome gift when you visit someone - I think because it's seen as a sociable, celebratory style of gift that you can all share. I often give champagne, as it's not the sort of thing anyone would by for their own home consumption on a regular basis and so always feels special. Equally good would be a really good bottle of wine, or a decent scotch or brandy.<BR><BR>Drink is a better choice, I think, than a trinket, as we all have different tastes (I'd personally hate the etched glass NY skyline, sorry vcl). But I think the idea of a regional cookbook is a GREAT idea, and one I'll remember.
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 11:19 AM
vcl

Kate:<BR>To your house, I'd bring drinks. But suppose the hosts are teatotalers?<BR><BR>I thought the questioner was trying to explore the range of options for things that might be indigenous to the United States. Popping into the nearest off-license doesn't require much planning. (Of course the advantage is it doesn't require any packing, either.)
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Kate I was going by what my friend, who is from England, said. When she goes back to England she brings a couple of bottles of Scotch because they are so expensive there. My friends go back and forth a few times each year. vcl I was thinking of something more indigenous to the US when the suggestion of spirits came up. However, I will not be buying there. I will buy here, pack it and carry it over. Nothing like good old USA prices. When I travel to England I never cease to be amazed by the prices. Upon our return one year we met two families with young children who were also on our flight to Orlando. I mentioned how expensive it is to bring a family to Disney. They thought differently. They come, do their Christmas shopping at the outlets and with the money they save, they treat themselves to a vacation at Disney. I guess it's all how you look at it. Happy traveling!
Old Feb 1st, 2003, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Kate I was going by what my friend, who is from England, said. When she goes back to England she brings a couple of bottles of Scotch because they are so expensive there. My friends go back and forth a few times each year. vcl I was thinking of something more indigenous to the US when the suggestion of spirits came up. However, I will not be buying there. I will buy here, pack it and carry it over. Nothing like good old USA prices. When I travel to England I never cease to be amazed by the prices. Upon our return one year we met two families with young children who were also on our flight to Orlando. I mentioned how expensive it is to bring a family to Disney. They thought differently. They come, do their Christmas shopping at the outlets and with the money they save, they treat themselves to a vacation at Disney. I guess it's all how you look at it. Happy traveling! P.S. They aren't tea-totalers by any means.