Hostels vs. Hotels - couple traveling

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hostels vs. Hotels - couple traveling

I'm traveling to Europe over the summer with my husband. We prefer private rooms w/a double bed but don't mind sharing bathrooms though, that's not an issue. However, after visiting some hostel websites (hostels.com and hostelz.com) and inquiring about rates, it seems that hostels might not necessarily be cheaper than finding a B&B or renting a room from someone's apartment. The prices on the hostel websites are per person. Once you multiply that by 2, the amount is over $100. $100/nt. is the MAXIUM I would like to spend on accommodations. Am I being delirious? How much do you think accommodations per night should cost for 2 people in Italy? I'm also visiting Spain, Paris, and London. How much per night should I budget for 2 people? Thanks for your input.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:41 AM

My husband and I also like to keep our per night costs to no more than $100 (CAD, for US you get a bit more) and we've never had any problem finding hotels or B&B's in Paris, Florence, Rome, Venice and even Sorrento that were very nice and met that price requirement. For our Croatia trip this May we're renting apartments and the most we're paying is 65euros a night. You don't need to go with hostels except maybe for London....if you'd like some specific recommendations maybe give which cities you're going to...
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I'm surprised they are over $100 for two people in a hostel (at least US$100). I know Paris hostels are as cheap as some other cities, and maybe not so good, but even those aren't that expensive from what I've seen. Also, a lot of Paris hostels have curfews and lockouts, so I wouldn't think people who could afford a cheap hotel room and weren't young and wanting to meet lots of other student travelers, for example, would be at all interested in that setting. I don't know how other countries are as much. In Paris, you have to check those terms to see what you want.

The Young and Happy Hostel on rue Mouffetard (a great location) is only 23-26 euro a night per person in a private double room, for example, and that's not $100.
http://www.youngandhappy.fr

The Village Hostel up near Montmartre (which is really more a private cheap hotel) is only 27 euro per person in summer in a double room.
http://www.villagehostel.fr/

The Woodstock Hostel is another similar one and also near Montmartre and it's only 25 euro per person in a double room
http://www.woodstock.fr/

So, I haven't stayed in those, just know about them, but I know they aren't $100 for two people typically in Paris.

However, you can find a decent 1-2* hotel in Paris for around 75 euro, if you want. I'd do that myself.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Amanda for your response. Here are the places we are going. I don't really want to stay in hostels anyways because I'm not going to be up all night partying and drinking. Plus, I don't feel comfortable sleeping with 8 other people.

- Italy: Rome, Florence, Venice, Italian Riveria Cinque Terre.
- France: French Riviera but not quite sure where yet. I know I'll probably pay more here.
- Spain: Barcelona and Madrid
- London

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM

for such a room in hostels, if available, you'd probably pay $30 or more per head in big cities and you can get pensions or cheap hotels for that price as hotels often charge per room whilst hostels per head.

and you won't have to put up with any bratty school kid groups or partying college students.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Both Lonely Planet and Rough Guide guidebooks have good budget accommodation suggestions. Also you can look at the British site, Time Out for suggestions in a lot of cities:
http://www.timeout.com/travel/

I think London will be the hardest place to stay within your budget parameters.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have never stayed in a hostel myself and certainly am no expert. Especially if you are willing to share bathrooms, I don't believe you will have a problem finding 1-2 star hotels or B&B's in that price range.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think $100USD/night (so approx. 80 euro) is reasonable. You'll just need to do a bit of research to find nice places in all those different locations.

London is the one city you mention that I bet you'll need to give a bit more $.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:12 PM
LJ

Your saving grace in London will be that you don't mind sharing a bathroom. This will help you keep to your budget. There are still quite a few nice clean freindly hotels in British Museum territory that you can afford. Try searching on Lonely Planet wesbsite(Thorntree?).
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Booking.com is a good website for reasonable hotels all over europe and one can usually find a room for about 70 euros a night double, plus it has a list of reviews next to each hotel.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 03:15 AM
ira

Hi T,

This business traveler's hotel in Paris has been recommended by another poster.

www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75012lux.htm

In Florence, I can highly recommend www.bedinflorence.it

For Venice try www.hotelbernardi.com/en/hotel.html

Also search for rooms at www.venere.com.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 03:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, t'bug,

in spain, a "hostel" is a not a hostel at all, but a cheaper type of hotel without, necessarily the conciege facilities etc. often on an upper floor of a building used for apartments. therefore it would be ideal for your needs, IMO.

in London, why not try "priceline" - lots of OPs have succeeded in geting good hotels are very cheap rates - try searching this forum for details of how it works.

if you are staying 3 nights or longer, an apartment may work out cheaper than nicer than a hotel - for 2 you shouldb e able to find them for less than 100U$ per night.

regards, ann

regards, ann
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry - I think i meant "hostal" - but the info remains the same.

regards, ann
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Try Travelodge in London. They have £15 and £26 room rates for double, family or double plus (double + single bed). Bathroom is included.

It's clean, no frills and should be about $30 per person and most are near the tube stations.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM

yes, annhig, you meant a "hostal"
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Plaza Mayor in Madrid last summer. I think the double rooms go for 75-80 euros per night. It was very nice for a 'budget' hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 01:50 PM

And we often use Priceline in London.