Hostellerie de Bretonniere in Beaune, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have stayed at this hotel, would you recommend it? What room type looked best when you were there? A few of the reviews on Trip Advisor recommended rooms in the back garden area, but I'm not sure whether to choose a room in the older section or the newer section. The hotel website offers the following:

Duplex (garden) 1 or 2 persons - 95 €
kitchenettes - 23 €
Rooms (upstairs or in the garden) 69 €
Rooms (in the courtyard) 59 €

I'm confused that the reservations page says kitchenettes 23€, because it says elsewhere that the duplex apartments have kitchenettes so I would think that was included in the 95€ duplex price. We don't really need a full kitchenette, but it would be nice to have a refridgerator to hold wine and cheese (but not for an extra 23€ per night.)

TIA for any advice.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Sorry Kay - I didn't answer your question when you asked it earlier. I suspect that you have seen a previous post re this hotel...
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34823598
In that discussion I tried to describe my take on the different rooms - I admit it is somewhat confusing.
In my Burgundy photos, the first one is of Sandra sitting outside our room. It was in the older section, only 1 storey, directly straight ahead as you drive in - this might be enough to describe to them either in an email (in English) or by phone if your French can handle it.
I would suspect a room in the courtyard.
I personally would not pay for a kitchenette - some whim or fancy might overcome me and I might use the kitchenette instead of wandering into Beaune for a wonderful meal. We don't spend a lot of time at our hotel.
This is not a 4 star resort. Pros and cons?
Location is great.
Parking no problem.
Rooms and bathroom large.
Appears a little dingy/dark.
Furnishings are fine - dark hotel style.
Little patio outside your door to have a drink.
Great breakfast but we wandered to a nearby cafe/bakery for a croissant and espresso (save the €8,50 per person).
Price is right €59- save the euros for a meal at Ma Cuisine(book way ahead).
Bed (very large) is comfortable.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Robjame, thanks for the link to the earlier post, as I had not seen it. (I suspect it did not turn up in my search because the OP misspelled the name of the hotel.) I have a bad habit of trying to find the "nicest" room at a hotel (assuming the price difference is not outrageous). My husband makes fun of me because we usually spend so little time in the room, so I should probably save the money for food & wine.

We would be going in May, too. Did you find the courtyard room to be quiet? (The TA reviews made me worry about this.) Was the bed a single large mattress? I do not like when 2 small beds are pushed together to make a queen or king sized bed (we had 4 very uncomfortable nights in Berlin).

BTW, your recommendations on the other post today made my mouth water! Dinner tonight will pale in comparison. I would love to do the tasting at Olivier Leflaive, but we will have limited time in Beaune (thanks to day trips) and my husband would prefer to rent bikes and explore the countryside rather than spending 4 hours of daylight for a lunch and wine tasting. It sounds to me like it would be a wonderful introduction to the local wines.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 07:06 PM

The location hotel and the location in the hotel are quiet. The hotel is located outside the wall but an easy walk to town center - 10 minutes. The efficiency type units are in a separate part and I think that those rooms seem to attract more families. We found that a number of the tourists were from British Isles.
The bed was a king size (or maybe it just seemed that way after our little double in Paris). I am quite sure it was one mattress (Sandra would tend to remember if it weren't as I would share her half).
I think that in this case the "nicest" room isn't necessarily the most expensive. Th more expensive room had things we didn't want - extra beds. couches, kitchenettes. To be able to sit outside your room, with roses growing nearby, at your own table, and drink a bottle of Burgundy, ahhhh... Priceless.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Mmm ... sitting on the patio by the roses with a bottle of Burgundy does sound priceless. I wish we did not have to wait 6 months.