horseracing in england

May 10th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

horseracing in england

Thought it might be fun to see a horse race while in england in june, tried Cheltenham and from what I gather from the website June is not the season. Does anyone know if any courses are open in June
Thanks
May 10th, 2003, 06:22 PM

I happen to have a link for the national racecourse schedules. Plenty of choices! Enjoy!

http://www.comeracing.co.uk/month.htm
May 10th, 2003, 06:28 PM

Nice site, Anonymous, thanks. I went to Newbury once - it is about an hour outside London - easy to reach on the train. It was just like the old Dick Francis films with the bookies on their little stands. Try to get to the races if you can, sharonkaye, you will enjoy it.
Mara
May 10th, 2003, 06:39 PM

Not in June??? Isn't Ascot in June?
May 10th, 2003, 06:46 PM

I think the OP meant there's nothing at Cheltenham in June. Royal Ascot is 17-20 June.
May 11th, 2003, 07:36 AM

For London courses, Ascot and Sandown (Esher station) are the 2 best courses. SAndown is smaller than Ascot but regularly beats Ascot for best course in country in racegoer votes - atmosphere is great for nearly all meetings, whereas Ascot being so much bigger can be a bit dead (comparatively) on quiet meetings. Royal Ascot has best racing in the UK, but it is very expensive for entry and very busy - you may also want to pre-book. Epsom is also on in first week of June -Derby Day. Can be great atmosphere, but very busy and expensive entry. Also Oaks on the Sunday - much quieter meeting. Epsom is 35 minutes from Wateloo or Victoria and then race bus. Monday evening meetings at Windsor are nice - get the boat from near Windsor Riverside station (leave from Waterloo)-takes 5 minutes. Kempton Park is OK also from Waterloo. Also for longer day trip, Goodwood is fantastic on good weather day - the most attractive course for views etc that I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot of places all round the world. It is right on top of the Sussex Downs (station is Chichester, then race bus)with wonderful views over the downs. Newbury is a good racecourse for the horses with good racing and is OK but simply not as nice as the other courses. July Course for Newmarket (train to Cambridge then race bus) is also very pretty and may offer meetings in June.
May 11th, 2003, 09:13 AM

Thanks, anonymous, for the website. I've saved it for future use.

Sharonkaye, there are a number of meetings in June at Newmarket and this would be a wonderful area to spend a few days because there are so many interesting places in the area, not the least of which is Cambridge.

In addition to the racecourse, Newmarket is the home of the National Horse Racing Museum.

Just north of Cambridge is Ely with an impressive cathedral and Oliver Cromwell's house.

East takes you to Bury St. Edmunds (Isn't that a wonderful name?) with the Abbey Ruins and great gardens which should be beautiful in June and a cathedral. We visited on a Sunday just after the service and heard the organist with all stops out. Whenever I think of that day, it makes me think of Quasimodo meeting the Phantom of the Opera.

To the west is the Duxford Air Museum.

We had a rental car to get around but I would think public transport from Cambridge would work.

Bet a few bob for me.