I wonder if anyone knows where I can go horse-riding in either the Venice or Naples area in October. I have done a bit of Googling and can't find any specific listings where I can just go on a short 1-2 hour trail ride. Most seem like riding holidays and I am a bit 'long in the tooth' for that now! I have owned many horses for over 50 years but its been a few years since I have last ridden.
I haven't fully checked out the Naples area but would prefer the Venice area if possible . But I am open to all ideas. Some hotels mention riding on the Lido beaches but I wonder if you have to be a guest of the hotel to hire.
Some years ago, I investigated horse riding in the London area and was a bit surprised that some riding schools had weight restrictions for riders . Not something I have heard of here in Oz though I imagine they may draw the line at very obese people. Some London riding establishments limited riders to 175lb, (12.5st,75kg.) and I wonder how many very tall, well built men would be able to hire a horse! I am tall and overweight (5'9" and 195Lb) but I'm working on it! I wonder if that could be a problem? I have hired horses in New Caledonia and Vanuatu when I was only slightly smaller and had no problems...they were big horses though!
Another reason I am asking here is that I only want a place where the animals are well cared for. Most places I have used in the past are good but I have seen a few" iffy" riding schools I wouldn't use. Maybe letting a big woman ride might be considered "cruelty" and I shouldn't bother? Only slightly joking here - I'm sure the horse wouldn't laugh!
So does anyone have personal experience on this subject?
I also like the idea of short Vespa tours in either region...No complaints from scooters if you are heavy! I have an Australian licence but am a bit rusty here too. I intend to brush up before leaving Oz so I am not a menace on the road. Do I need an international permit for a short ride?
Thank you all,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 2 GTG Paris December 2017
- 3 Tips for first trip to UK
- 4 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 5 Where to stay in Naples?
- 6 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 7 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 8 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 9 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 10 10 days in europe
- 11 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 12 Buying a motorcycle in Europe??
- 13 European honeymoon help needed
- 14 paris to london- day trip
- 15 northern Italy this fall, dolomites and piedmont
- 16 Help/Critique Slovenia Trip
- 17 land vs river cruise
- 18 Portugal
- 19 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 20 Leaving Paris. Just a little sad.
- 21 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 22 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 23 Restaurant suggestion Bamberg
- 24 Browsing Barcelona
- 25 Spain December/ January 2018/19
Horse hire/trail rides in Venice or Naples area. Also Vespa tours.