Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hoping to travel Europe by train...could use some advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hoping-to-travel-europe-by-train-could-use-some-advice-1107838/)

takemeaway37 May 17th, 2016 12:08 PM

Hoping to travel Europe by train...could use some advice

Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get some advice for me and my girlfriend before we head to Europe next month.

We're flying into Copenhagen in June for a 16 day vacation and will be flying back home out of Belgium. We've booked places to stay in both those places and were thinking of also stopping in Munich and Prague. We're open to other suggestions for places but I think we're definitely set on Prague.

We wanted to travel Europe by train, and overnight trains where possible, but I'm not sure how feasible that really is. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this? Do you think there are cheaper ways to do it? The reason we want to take overnight trains is because we would be able to save money on a place to stay and we would ideally arrive in our new destination in the morning leaving us with all day to explore. The biggest issue is that Belgium is so far away compared to our other destinations. I don't know. I'm not super experienced traveling and I guess I'm just looking for advice on what more experienced people would do.

Thanks for any help in advance!

suze May 17th, 2016 12:26 PM

I can't help plan your trip, but I will note that you probably don't want to take overnight trains too many times in a row. Unless you spring for a private sleeper car, you'll be with other people, and even then trains can be pretty noisy.

Point being most people don't really get a very good night's sleep (even though you "save" on the cost of hotel room that night). So I wouldn't do it more than 2-3 times within a 16 day trip myself.

takemeaway37 May 17th, 2016 12:38 PM

I figured the sleeping situation would be rather poor. We would only do it twice I believe, in the longer rides. We've discussed it and are ok with two nights of less then stellar sleep if it means getting more time in a city.

Do you have any experience with the Rail passes? We were thinking of using the Global one where you can travel within 4 countries as long as they're connected (I think that's what it's called). I just didn't know if it covers night trains and it was all a little overwhelming haha

Christina May 17th, 2016 12:52 PM

There aren't very many overnight trains any more as many distances are just covered by high speed trains and/or they can't compete with cheap air fares.

But having done it once, I would recommend you not plan a whole bunch of those if you have never done it. Have you ever been on an overnight train? The problem is you don't really "save" on accommodation cost because you have to pay extra for an overnight train. Sleeper cars can be as much or more than a budget hotel. SO I presume you and your girlfriend plan to stay in multi-person couchettes with 4-5 other people in bunk beds? Those can be cheap but not even necessarily cheaper than a hostel.

Just don't presume you are going to get a great nights sleep and wake up raring to go and that it will be the same as sleeping in a hotel or hostel in terms of rest. Also, some of those runs are not direct, so will involve multiple changes of trains, although that doesn't usually happen in the middle of the night.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is any overnight train feasible on your route, anyway, so find that out first. There isn't one from COpenhagen to Prague, only a bus that takes about 8 hours to Berlin, then you can get on a train to Prague. Same for Copenhagen to Munich, only an overnight bus to Hamburg. I don't think there is one from Prague to Munich, either, exactly. There is one that involves about 4 changes and long transfers.

So first figure out if there is any route where that is even feasible. I find www.bahn.de a very user-friendly way to check rail routes, they have all of Europe on there, I believe.

Yes, I think some cheap airlines can be cheaper than trains, sometimes cheaper than the train itself, let alone when you had in a sleeping car of some kind. For example, you can get nonstop flights from COpenhagen to Prague, take 1:20 hrs, for about $60-90 on Smartwings or Czech air. DOn't know what that train would cost, but check that out.

use www.skyscanner.com to check airfare

DebitNM May 17th, 2016 12:54 PM

This is a great site for all things train:

http://www.seat61.com/

PalenQ May 17th, 2016 12:54 PM

Do you have any experience with the Rail passes?>

used about 100 of them but your only Eurailpass to consider is the Eurail Select Pass (Saver for 2 people traveling together) and that may not be worth it unless you indicate more trains you'll be taking than in your OP - original post.

Rather if you know your dates and will not change them then you can book discounted train tickets if you jump on them weeks/months in advance as they are sold in limited numbers on each train.

Passes cover basic train fare on night trains but you must pay for optional or now often required sleeping supplements - ranging from a few euros for reclining seats (not all trains have these nor regular seats but are Hotel Trains - minimum for a couchette - 4 or 6 persons in a unisex compartment with three tiered bunks on each side of a central aisle for about $30 p.p. - this you pay on top of using the pass - a flexipass however on night trains lets you put the next day's date in so you can travel free from 7pm to midnight and then your pass is good the whole next day- can really cover ground - like take night train from Amsterdam to Zurich and then the next day go onto Venice or Florence, etc - all in one day on a pass.

To be less overwhelmed by trains check out these IMO superb sources: www.budgeteuropetravel.com (any questions about passes or night trains, etc I suggest calling Byron here - I've bought passes from him for years and he will objectively with no hard sell answer any question even if not buying); www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com - the latter being a font of great info on booking discounted tickets.

A pass in those countries lets you hop virtually any train anytime - fully flexible tickets cost a ton so if flexibility is key the pass should be a great deal - in either class (youthpasses are 2nd class; over 25 it's first class travel, a good perk too when comparing to discounted 2nd class fares which often are non-changeable non-refundable and if you miss the train you are out.

Night trains not for everyone but I love them - taken literally hundreds and rarely have trouble sleeping - bring any food and drink aboard - a little vino may help sleeping! the sleeping berths in couchettes and compartments is IME comfy enough -you get blanket and sheets, pillow,etc. and yes a good way to save daytime travel time and the cost of an accommodation.

Are yous under 26 yrs old - if so the Eurail Select Youthpass may well be a great deal - much cheaper than the first-class one for those over 25.

suze May 17th, 2016 01:00 PM

Sorry, no experience with passes. Point to point tickets have always worked better for me. (But I wasn't trying to cover as much territory as you are.)

spaarne May 17th, 2016 03:24 PM

<i> Hoping to travel Europe by train...could use some advice
Posted by: takemeaway37 on May 17, 16 at 4:08pm</i>

Here is an illustrated introduction to trains in Europe, http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap17/rail.htm. Night trains are covered in part 3. Night trains are the way to go for saving time and money, but also for convenience. Do not pre-judge the ride. You may become addicted.

PalenQ May 18th, 2016 11:27 AM

I too love night trains but they are not for everyone as I said above but wish to re-state - there is always a modicum of noise from inside and outside the train. I always slept well but others cannot so it depends a lot on how well you sleep with some noise. You may or may not become addicted to night trains - I have been and spaarne too but everyone is different.

suze May 18th, 2016 11:31 AM

If you can afford a private compartment that helps. But you still have the noises of the train starting and stopping, brakes squealing, etc. If you are in a couchette or a regular seat, then you have the noise from all the other passengers on top of the train noises.

I think overnight trains are fun and can be a good idea, but I'd never do one more than once per week.