Notices

Hope we picked the right hotel

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Donna

Hope we picked the right hotel

Has anyone stayed at the Thistle Kensington Gardens Hotel in London?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Geo

Yes. millions

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:40 PM
xxxxx

Prime example of a vague heading and an even more vague question without any research having been done beforehand.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Banter

It is really the banter back and forth that makes this forum interesting.

Questions like.. best way from CDG to Paris and where to stay in the 7th have been done so many times that they are totally boring. It is only the banter that is fun now.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Pointless

Maybe they picked the left hotel!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:23 PM
xxx

Now, Donna, before you go away mad at people for laughing at your expense, try to realize what is going on here. What was your quesion about? Are you thinking of staying there? Are you already booked there, in which case our answers don't mean anything anyway?
Please tell us specifically what you want to know. You must admit that the very first answer was a complete answer to your question. There was no other way to answer it but that.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Non-specific

Why does she have to be more specific? The question is obvious. She's asking for opinions on this hotel. Are you people daft?

And speaking of obvious, you obviously DON'T have an answer and nothing better to do that ridicule people who ask normal questions.

Get a grip kids.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:42 PM
helping

I'm just amazed at how many of us took the time to open/read this thread when Donna's title is so vague.

Donna: A helpful hint. Look at the forum - there is no "England" or "London" board. "Hope we picked the right hotel" could be asking about any hotel in Rome, or Munich, or Prague or Moscow or, or, or. Do a text search and you will probably find many threads that mention your hotel.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:57 AM
ron

Yes, Donna, I stayed there for three nights in October 2002. It was the right hotel for me. Do you have any specific concerns?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:22 AM
amanda

Ron -
I'll be staying there for a week next month. How close is are the Tube stops? What are the breakfasts like?

Thanks for your help!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:04 AM
je

Stayed at Thistle Kensington Gardens last June. I also stressed on where to stay and this turned out to be a good choice.

It is on top of a gas station (and a convenience store) and directly across the street from Kensington Gardens. The rooms were small but the bathroom room was a good size and by the end of the vacation I needed that tub to soak my aching feet. There is a bus stop directly outside and a Tube stop just down the street with another (more lines) Tube stop just another block or so.

The continental breakfast was good toast, tea/coffee, rolls, cheese and ham. You can also purchase full breakfast but they fried their eggs in a big pan of oil and they did not appeal to me.

There is a small lounge with a TV and bar for a nightcap.

There are a number of Chinese restaurants by the Tube stops although we did not try any. We had drinks at the Pub right down the street.

One thing we did not have was a bad meal. I can give you a list of restaurants they we visited if you would like.

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:45 AM
amanda

je -
thanks for the reply. Yes, I'd appreciate any info on good restaurants. First-hand opinions go alot further than travel guides. I was going to say you can just email me direct, but there seems to be some others who are going to stay at this hotel, so maybe it would be better just to post it here.

Thanks again.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:17 AM
ron

Amanda, je has pretty well answered your questions. Queensway, on the central line, is the closest tube stop, perhaps a five minute walk. Interestingly, I hardly ever used it. The extra 3 minute walk up to the Bayswater station, being on the district and circle lines, was usually more useful.

My plan at the hotel included full breakfast. It was all buffet style, with scrambled eggs and fried eggs and all the English breakfast fixings. I think they would do poached eggs on request. I think the breakfast, quality and service, was consistent with what one should expect from a mid-range business-oriented hotel.

I can’t help much with restaurants in the area. In London, there is always so much to do, I tend to eat when and where I get hungry, or not, in which case I grab some snacks at the mini-mart when I return to the hotel for the night. A pub in the area that I like is the King’s Head, on Moscow Road, near the Bayswater tube stop. It’s a friendly place, the landlord knows how to keep his beer and the food isn’t bad.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:26 AM
je

Amanda - We were given just the name of a restaurant "Cumo Lario" before we went to London and went a little nuts trying to find it. We actually went to a hotel (very ritzy) and the employee there was nice enough to find it and make us a reservation. She also then gave us directions and we walked over and ate.

I'll get the exact names and addresses of the restaurants from my charge card bill and post them over the weekend.

We were pleasantly surprised at how good the restaurants were since the English sometimes get a bad rap on their food.