Hop On Hop Off in Rome or Florence?

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hop On Hop Off in Rome or Florence?

Hello all, Just wondering if Rome or Florence have those fabulous hop on-hop off bus tours of the city? I have had such fun with them in other places but know that driving in Italian cities can be kind of crazy so maybe bus tours are minimal there?
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 08:22 AM

In Rome the tourist office runs a hop on/hop off bus in the central part of the city and also the archeobus which goes out of the central city down to the Appian Way and over to some of the major acqueducts on viale appio claudio.
there are lots of combined ticket options including ones for both hop on/hop off buses or one of the buses with the Roma Pass
http://www.trambusopen.com/index.cfm?Id=home
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Hi Shan - There are several Hop-on/ Hop-off bus tours of Rome - ATAC 110, CSR, Ciao Roma, Archeobus ... etc.

http://www.romeguide.it/index2.php?m...nt&p2=bus_tour

You can find details here:

http://www.romeguide.it/trambus/110openeng.htm

http://www.romeguide.it/trambus/archeobuseng.htm

http://www.initaly.com/ciaoroma.htm

These tours get mixed reviews.

Personally I prefer a one- or 3-day tourist pass.
Better value, and you can go when and where you please ...

An alternative is to get a bus/metro day-pass which gives you more flexibility ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 03:48 AM

A warning about the 'red' bus tour that can be picked up in front of St. Peter's. A number of friends who were on their first trip to Rome tried this and were very disappointed.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 04:11 AM

Hi

Yes, there is a hop on/hop off bus service but you can also see the city in a cheaper way by taking the small buses around town. The advantage of the sightseeing bus is that you get commentary along the way. Here is my Florence trip report with pictures, links and maps by the way: http://gardkarlsen.com/florence_italy_travelogue.htm . I hope that you can find some useful information there

regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 06:06 AM

The hop on-hop off bus in Florence can't get very close to most major sights since the central area with most of the points of interest is pedestrian only--and very walkable. I wouldn't bother with this in Florence--just start walking on your own.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 04:30 AM

Wouldn't recomend the hop on hop off services at all.Buses can get crowded and you can end up waiting for ages to get on one with space. The distance between stops is often so small that you could easily walk it. For specific sights you want to see which are more distant from your accomodation it's chaper and easier to get the ordinary buses Just buy some 1 euro tickets at news kiosks and validate them in a machine on the bus as you use them.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 04:46 AM

We want to take a ride around Rome one night next week. Don't care about commentary.

Is there a best option for seeing the most night-lit monuments? (Colosseum, Vatican, wedding cake, etc.) It will be dark by around 5pm.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Many historic centers are pedestrian only, including Florence and much of Rome.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 05:06 AM

Yes, I remember that. That's why I wondered if there's a good bus option for seeing the ones that are viewable.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Yes, Shanrae, there absolutely IS a fabulous hop on/off tourist bus system in Rome, the best of any I've found anywhere in Europe, and that includes the excellent hop/on/off buses in London and Paris.

In Rome you have your choice of three, and you can pick them up at their start at Termini, which I prefer, because then you can start out on the whole route.

They have the 110 city tour red bus, which stops at all the great traditional sites around Rome

The yellow "Christian Rome" bus-(my favorite) that stops at many of the most important churches in Rome

And last but not least, the "Archeobus" which takes you out the Appian Way and to the catacombs

This is the link to the official Rome tourist authority website-it gives you ALL THE STOPS for the red standard tour, the yellow Christian Rome tour, and the Archeobus tour.
The cost is 16 Euro for a 24 hour period, and I can state most unequivocally, it is the most well-spent 16 Euro you will have anywhere in Europe-on a beautiful day, at the top of this double-decker bus, you can see things in Rome I've never seen, and that you cannot see in a traditional bus or van or car, because you are up high with such a great view of everything: ancient fountain heads, doors, statuary, it's amazing. Do this for sure:

http://www.romaturismo.com/v2/romati...rtematici.html
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Hi Girlspy - Those hop on/hop off tours in Rome have had decidedly mixed reviews here, with complaints about long waits, crowded buses, non-functioning headphones ...

Yours is the most positive review I've seen of late ...

Steve

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Girlspy, I'm glad to hear you thought it worthwhile and we'll definitely give it a try when in Rome. I too think that the hop on/hop off tours are a great way to get an overview of a new city (just sit and ride for a loop!) then to use as a mode of transport around town. I have greatly enjoyed them in London, Paris, Barcelona and Madrid and hope for the same in Rome.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Oh, there's no doubt that in the height of tourist season, people get upset because they can't get on at a particular stop because one of the buses coming round is full-so what? In a perfect world buses would never be full, no? As for the headsets, just like on an airplane from time to time, the headsets won't work from a particular seat-you can wait and move to another seat in the bus if yours doesn't work. I didn't have that problem, but then, I don't really use them that much either. It's just so great to be up there, looking at Rome from on high, and getting the lay of where everthing is, making notes about places you see, and want to go back to, etc. There's no better value in Rome-and you really get a sense of the glory of Rome, rather than being on foot, or by regular bus, because you spend so much time figuring out how to get from one end of the city or from one church to another, which is both exhausting and very time consuming, it's more about the logistics rather than the enjoyment-you don't have to do that here with the Rome hop on/off buses, just relax and enjoy, take the circuit once fully around, and then the second circuit, hop off where you want to spend some time. As for commentary, I have a guidebook if I want to get some in-depth knowledge about a site. But when I got on the yellow Christian Rome bus this past September 2006-with that gorgeous weather-it was so much fun I made two full loops, and then cheated the next day, and went over my 24 hour period to use it once more to get to a particular church I missed. I think they are fabulous.