Search

Purchasing Vienna Opera Tickets Online

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing Vienna Opera Tickets Online

Hi, all...

I have registered with the online ticket site for the Vienna Opera. The show I want is May 14 so, apparently, it is too early to get the seats.

However, I can pick a range of prices and pay in advance.

My questions are:

How can I pick up the tickets...obviously at the box office...but can I have them mailed or emailed? It looks like they will hold the tickets at the box office till May 12...but I don't arrive in Vienna till May 13.

By paying now, does that guarantee seats? In other words, is the waiting list first-come-first-served, or lottery?

Thanks for this and any other insights you can give me.

I want to lock in the tickets as soon as possible.

SS
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 08:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
there are other people more experienced than me who may see this thread who may have more up to date information.

however when we did this a few years ago, we did what you are intending to do, and then when tickets became available, we got an e-mail offering us the precise seats, which we had to confirm within something like 24 hours.

we then picked up our tickets in Vienna when we got there. [make sure you take the c/card you used to pay for them plus the confirmation e-mail] My recollection is that they would hold them until we got there - you have paid for them after all. you can also have them sent to your hotel, I believe.

could you paste a link? what do you want to see?
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I booked online 5 years ago in October for a June performance but I see that the site has changed. At the time, I reserved actual seats & picked up the tickets just before the start. I would be inclined to phone them under your circumstances.

Ian
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 08:30 AM

ssander - the system looks very similar to the one we booked through.

i note that to a certain extent you can select the type of ticket you get - near the stage or not, for example, and by price. i think they then offer you what they consider to be the best available, once the season ticket holders have decided whether they want them or not.

as for picking them up, I found this information:

https://www.culturall.com/docs/545?catid=266

you can pick up from a no of outlets or from the Staatsoper ticket office- I can't find any suggestion that you can only pick up until the day before you are travelling.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a follow-up...

Everything seems to have worked well...we got a series of emails confirming our seats. We can pick up the tickets at the box office at any time.

The seats were in a very good location...assuming I'm reading the diagram correctly.

Thanks, all, for the help.

SS
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 02:02 PM

hurray - sounds like a result.

hope you have a great time.