Hop on & Hop off bus tours in Rome

Sep 27th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Hop on & Hop off bus tours in Rome

Does Rome have any hop on & hop off buses like we've used in Paris, London, Madrid, etc?
Sep 27th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Yes there is. However, I wasn't that impressed. You listen to a recording. My headphones kept cutting in and out, so I heard only half of the recording, which was pretty dry. However, it did give you a good idea of the layout of the city.
Sep 27th, 2005, 10:19 PM

Hi

Here is a website that provides details - http://www.romaturismo.it/v2/romatia...rtematici.html and some photos and details in Italian - http://www.trambus.com/servizituristici.htm

Cheers
Sep 28th, 2005, 08:52 AM

I took a four hour walking tour of Rome. Seven people and a guide. He explained everything to us and showed us where to get the best photos. Plenty of time for questions.
Sep 28th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I used these buses in several European cities and while they are good for getting a general feel for the area they are expensive. Plus in Rome several sites are concentrated in one area and they can easily take a full day.
Sep 28th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Like btewalt, I too was not impressed... (while I loved the one in Dublin)

We took the large green bus with the recording. Waited a long time after its published times for it to start in the morning - didn't seem to run on schedule.

We were pushed to do that one by the hotel. I felt it was sort of a scam between my hotel and them - perhaps there are other companies, but don't recommend the 'green' one - sorry I don't know the name!
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:24 AM

travelphile-- I agree about Dublin--the hop on/off bus tour there is great, which may be why I was so disappointed in the Rome tour.
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:45 AM
LJ

I am also dubious about the commercial offerings and suggest this alternative.If you are any good at map reading,you can put together your own hop-on/hop-off experience; just purchase an all day pass for the regular buses and check the routes from Termini. My husband and I did this and then coached a group of college aged kids from all over the world in how to do the same.

They all made it back to the hostel and none of the 20 had duplicated routes, yet all had seen many sites/sights (tourist and other!) No travelogue in your ear, of course, (though that may be a blessing) but with trusty Fodor's and citymap with bus routes, in hand you really can see a lot.