Hooray! We've waited so long!

Old Apr 25th, 2021, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooray! We've waited so long!

The New York Times just published a story saying the EU will allow Americans who are fully vaccinated (with Moderna, Pfizer or J&J) to travel to Europe this SUMMER!!!!!! Welcome back.
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 05:10 PM

It's a Reuters story, here it is in the Sydney Morning Herald:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...26-p57mbc.html

Lavandula
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 11:36 PM

Bad news. Not because of the fact that you, US tourists, would now be able to travel, but because a majority of EU countries is nowhere near "re-opening" and will be sacrificing the health of its own citizens to welcome you.
In any case, give NL a miss: our relative stats are worse than India's
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 12:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lots of caveats in that message, when, should, as far as i can see.....

also, I doubt the decision is der Leyen's
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 01:09 AM

'Ms. von der Leyen did not offer a timeline on when exactly tourist travel might open up or details on how it would occur'
'She added that resumption of travel would depend “on the epidemiological situation'
'Based on Ms. von der Leyen’s comments, the European Commission will recommend the change in travel policy, though individual member states may reserve the right to keep stricter limits. They might not permit citizens from outside the bloc to visit or might enforce restrictions like quarantines, even on visitors who have vaccination certificates.'

It's a bit optimistic to conclude that vaccinated Americans can visit Europe this summer.
And is there reciprocity? Can Europeans visit the US? I wouldn't book a ticket just yet.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 02:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"bad news" has this way of traveling in BOTH directions sometimes.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 04:12 AM

It is not all about European travel, but the update from Peter Greenberg last week is worth listening to (despite his info about Italy reopening today, it is not happening for travelers.) He believes Europe will be open in a few months, maybe weeks. https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/...atch_permalink
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 04:46 AM

I wouldn't be jumping for joy quite yet. We really don't want you here right now. And what do you plan to DO? Most things are still closed.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by StCirq
I wouldn't be jumping for joy quite yet. We really don't want you here right now. And what do you plan to DO? Most things are still closed.
Before you cast stones at us Americans, 50% of whom have received at least a partial vaccine, you might want to get your European vaccination incompetency under control.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 05:24 AM

After attending a funeral for a family member who passed because of covid yesterday, there is NO WAY I'm travelling anywhere this year. I live in a city, and the downstate attitudes toward vaccination and public safety were incredibly lax in the hotel and in the facilities we were forced to visit for gas and food. There are too many ignorant people in this world for me to enjoy traveling amongst them for the time being. We were nervous about the memorial service but tried to be as safe as possible and minimize our time indoors. Still, it was a risk. We weighed the decision to go or not, but this person was extremely important to my family, and we had to show our respects. And now, I'm nervous about my family's health and will be for the next week.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 05:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
That is how I feel about Fl, stay home. We had over 7000 new cases Friday and many testing sites are closed now. I know someone in her forties that died last week leaving two young children. COVID and no pre-existing conditions. We are vaccinated, have tickets for November but don't want to arrive and have to eat take out, and not get into a museum. Where I work we are all vaccinated and it feels good but so many won't get vaccines here. They are reporting many aren't showing up for second jab. WTH? My family sold their restaurant business last week, liquor license, building, contents down to pots, pans, reputation, and name. They had been closed for over a year. Ten hard years of making it a success gone. I think we are going to see many of our favorite places gone when we return to somewhat normal.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 06:19 AM

<<Before you cast stones at us Americans, 50% of whom have received at least a partial vaccine, you might want to get your European vaccination incompetency under control.>>

We KNOW that. That's why we think it's premature for you to use Europe as your playground. It's not MY personal fault I haven't been vaccinated yet, by the way. Just stay home and go to Florida or Las Vegas. Have at it, but there's no need to think you need to invade Europe again; as I said, there's precious little for you to DO here, anyway.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 06:35 AM

It is not summer yet! Hopefully the vaccinations do ramp up in Europe and things are much improved by then.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 06:54 AM

<<Before you cast stones at us Americans, 50% of whom have received at least a partial vaccine, you might want to get your European vaccination incompetency under control.>>

We KNOW that. That's why we think it's premature for you to use Europe as your playground. It's not MY personal fault I haven't been vaccinated yet, by the way. Just stay home and go to Florida or Las Vegas. Have at it, but there's no need to think you need to invade Europe again; as I said, there's precious little for you to DO here, anyway.
I’m coming with my vaccination card. Maybe to your country.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by MinnBeef
I’m coming with my vaccination card. Maybe to your country.
As long as you comply with local rules, vaccination card or not. There are no separate rules for those who have been vaccinated.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 08:14 AM

<<I’m coming with my vaccination card. Maybe to your country.>>

Your vaccination card means squatola here. Come with whatever you like, wherever you want to come to, but nothing's open, so good luck with that. And be prepared for the paperwork to just move around.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 01:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I read this today and confirms what we have been saying. Bases have mall like facilities that have the commissary and exchange owned by the US but also many shops and eateries owned by locals. You can be in the exchange and the T-Mobile store is four feet from the main entrance of the exchange but to go inside you need a rapid or PCR test. Most people have their vaccination cards but they still need these other tests. The comments were hilarious but people were commenting that live off base that the cases are very high in their villages.

A negative COVID Test is required at all German owned AAFES concessionaires (barber and beauty, TKS, T-Mobile, etc) shops effective Tuesday, April 27. Host nation restrictions require a Rapid or PCR test for these appointments (self-tests or vaccination cards are not accepted at this time). This brings these shops in line with off post establishments in our surrounding counties and will be in place as long as the 7-day average is above 100 per 100k residents.
USAG Bavaria is attempting to work with officials from local counties and the Bavarian government to gain acceptance of averages from the installations to determine these requirements in the future.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Wow

I am completely and entirely sorry I posted this thread. Nothing but negativity in response. OBVIOUSLY we are not traveling to an EU country if things remain as bad as they are now. I'm hoping that the EU will be in much better shape in 3 months. OBVIOUSLY travelers will have to make sure that there are things that are open to visit and it is safe. AND if you had read the article, you would have seen that each country has the right to remain closed to visitors if they choose. I chose to look at this story as a sign of hope for all of us. I don't want to travel to Italy only for myself, I have donated over 12K to Italy, to food banks and other organizations in the past 13 months. I want to visit Italy WHEN IT IS SAFE to spend more and help the economy, not to use it "as a playground." Let's move on to other topics where there will not be such acrimony.
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 04:46 AM

Susan...you are totally right. I agree with you!
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 05:58 AM

SusanG not everyone has been negative. I hope you can get back to Italy soon, when it is time.. and you will be welcomed then with open arms. This is for sure!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -