Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hoof and mouth/mad cow-problems w/dairy products?

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 10:22 PM
Andrea

Does anyone in England know if they are banning certain dairy products currently-ie.cream or butter? There was a big report on US tv this weekend about MAD COW , and not knowing exactly how it was infecting the animals-except not to eat organ meats,or anything close to bone. But they didn't say anything about by-products of the cow-ie.the milk! Has that been banned or restricted?

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:50 AM
xxx

No. Milk not banned nor restricted. <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:19 AM
frank

Obviously the biggest bovine by-product of all is not in short supply....

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Jody

Foot and mouth is RARELY transmitted to humans, only 2 cases have been documented, so no worry ther. it is my understanding from frequent trips to Uk that mad cow is just about eliminated thereand beef on the bone is back on menus. I don't know why people even bother to order beef in UK when there is wonderful fish , lamb, and real poultry( not our cellophane wrapped garbage that's all that's available in most of US). The duck there is otherwordly and fish could not be fresher( I don't mean fish and chips!). Wonderful ethnic foods that are practically non-exsistent in most of US unles you are in a big city. with so much else to choose from don't worry. You could probably pick up a good case of E.Coli at your local fast food chain more easily than you'll get mad cow! <BR>Loved your post Frank!!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Deb

Andrea- <BR>My father is in the grain/grain by-products business where he sells feed to dairy farmers. He explained to me in depth what I will make brief: dairy cows & beef cows are fed *completely* different kinds of feed. In other words, the tainted (nasty) feed given to the poor beef cows was never near a dairy cow. You shouldn't have to worry a scoshe (sp?). Have fun... & eat cheese

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 08:24 PM
andrea

Deb-thank you and your dad for the best explanation--sincerely appreciate it.