Honfleur or Areal Hotel

Apr 25th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Honfleur or Areal Hotel

I posted this on the europe board by mistake so this is a re-post to the France board.

I will be leaving Paris Sept 3rd and going on to Honfleur with a stop at Giverny and in Rouen so I will need a hotel somewhere between Rouen and Honfleur or I prefer Honfleur itself so if anyone has suggestions I'm listening.....

Thanks
Apr 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM

There actually isn't a France board; it's all Europe together. Confusing because of the format. Anyway, you're in the right spot.

We quite liked the Hôtel L'Ecrin in Honfleur. It's inside walls--good for paking--and about 2 blocks from the port. Very nice management.
Apr 25th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Underhill...I just submitted a request for availability and rates.
Apr 25th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Our favorite short-term lodging in Honfleur, which we have visited repeatedly for two decades, is now the Cour Ste. Catherine bed & breakfast inn:

giaglis.com
Apr 27th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Hi Dave, I like your rec. and have been following your posts. I even went to La Madonnina as rec. by you last year. It was very good but hard to find. I am planning a trip to Normandie next year. I don't want to rent a car and will rely on train. Is the above B&B in walking distance from the train station?
Apr 27th, 2006, 08:12 AM

I second the Hotel l'Ecrin. It has a very nice atmosphere.
Apr 27th, 2006, 09:05 AM

We followed Dave's advice and stayed at Mme Giaglis' B&B last summer - we *loved* it! Here is my review from slowtravel

http://www.slowtrav.com/france/hotel...ine&s=honfleur
Apr 27th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Hi Georgie,

The train from Paris goes to Deauville/Trouville (all the same station) and then there's a bus from just outside the station to Honfleur. The bus ride is about 20 minutes. The whole trip from Paris takes a little over three hours. From the bus stop in Honfleur its a walk of about 10-12 minutes to the Court St. Catherine bed and breakfast inn. The Ecrin is a nice hotel, but more pricey. Its most attractive feature, in my opinion, is the rare on-site parking. But having your car handy in Honfleur is of limited use, since you won't be able to go anywhere else in the historic district, like a restaurant, and park it. The town is compact and quite walkable.
Apr 27th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Thank you Dave. I will bookmark it. I might ask more questions when the time comes. Surfmom, thanks for sharing with me your report.
Apr 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Georgie,

Here's a report I did on a trip to Honfleur with some intermediate stops:
http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/triprepor...id=611&index=0

It's mainly the later pages that may be of interest to you since we went by car that time. We often go by train/bus, and sometimes we rent a car through the SNCF at the Deauville/Trouville station.

We're still prospecting Honfleur restaurants, and I'll be happy to share new information.

Dave

Apr 27th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the help..I checked on availability at the Hotel L'Ecrin and finally got a confirmation back. I'll let everyone know how it turned out after my trip in September.

Thanks again...I knew you Fodorites would come thru for me.