Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymooning in Amalfi Coast, Capri, and Sicily--any advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 1997, 02:39 PM
Greg Sherman

My fiancee are planning to honeymoon in Italy during the first two weeks of October. Judging from all of the topics above, we're not alone. Our trip will have us staying 2 nights in Positano, 3 nights in Capri, 2 nights in Cefalu (Sicily), 2 nights on either Lipari or Panorea Island, and 3 nights in Taormina. I'm looking for some hotels with astounding views and private balconies ($150-$200). We're willing to spend a little more in Capri.

Any recommendations in regard to the Aeolian Islands and eastern Sicily? Judging from other responses, we can't go wrong with Positano and Capri.

*The Fodor's 1997 guide to Italy is excellent!

Old Mar 7th, 1997, 08:32 PM
Laura

My fiance and I are doing the same in September...starting in Rome and driving the Amalfi Coast. We booked what looks like a great hotel in Amalfi (which may not be as nice as some of the other cities in that region). It's called Santa Catarina, and hangs off a cliff overlooking the sea. Check it out...By the way, have you by chance heard of a hotel called Veneto in Rome? Our travel agent seems to be the only one who has heard about it...Congratulations on your engagement! Good luck!

Old Mar 16th, 1997, 03:00 PM
B. Kennedy

Taormina is soooooo wonderful and we stayed at I think the most wonderful place there - San Domenican Palace - an old monastary - overlooking both the sea from the top of the cliffs and Mt. Etna. It was expensive but we feel worth it. Climing Mt. Etna was a kick. If you are getting a car and hitting the road for a couple of days, we fell in love with a tiny medieval town called Erice (West of Palermo). It is worth spending a night and day if you have time and are driving around. I'd repeat this trip in a heartbeat! Sorrento was wonderful and if you can, don't miss the ride of your life, a SITA Bus trip down the Amalfi Coast from Sorrento to Positano. I could talk for hours...

Old Apr 9th, 1997, 04:21 PM
Barry Tissenbaum

In Positano we stayed at the Sirenuse (not sure of the spelling) - UNBELIEVABLE. Built into the rocks - you take an elevator down to your room, then further down to the beach. Beautiful rooms, but not cheap. We were there at the end of Sept and I recall that the prices drop on Sept 30, so your in luck. Don't miss the opportunity.

Old May 13th, 1997, 03:22 PM
Greg Sherman

Thank you to all of those who responded thus far. From what I've read and heard, I think we're going to use Sorrento as our hub for the Amalfi Coast and only day trip to Capri. Has anyone heard of the Excelsior Vittoria there in Sorrento?

In Sicily, we'll spend some time in Lipari thanks to some of your recommendations. Also, I heard of the place you mentioned in Taormina (San Domenico) and it sounds pretty amazing. Any recommendations on where to stay in Cefalu or Lipari? Congratulations to the other folks who are engaged. Hope you have a terrific honeymoon!

Old May 14th, 1997, 01:45 AM
CAT

We stayed at the Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento 2 weeks ago. The hotel is right in the center of town but its set back in a beautiful private park-like setting so there's no street noice. The public areas are quite grand & the staff is very nice. Our room was so-so but the balcony overlooking the Bay made up for it. The hotel has a private elevator that goes straight to the boat dock so its very convenient to catch the boat to Capri. I hope that you enjoy your stay as much as we did. E-mail me if you have any more questions.

Old May 14th, 1997, 12:36 PM
j

I'd cast my vote in favor of an overnight in Capri. The island is amazing---make sure you see the Villa San Michele---and have a glass of limoncello!

Old May 19th, 1997, 11:28 AM
Colleen

I was just in Sorrento about 10 days ago and fell in love with it. I was glad to see you've changed your plan and will be staying there. The Excelsior Vittoria is a grand place, as is the Grand Turantano. But I want to tell you about another option. We stayed at the Minerva, which is slightly "out of town," - by a very short walk past the last pub - built into a cliff -- the views are incredible! The elevator takes you to the 5th floor, where there's a fabulous terrance with a pool - and a view of Vesuvius! The rooms are large, tiled, and lovely - with balconies overlooking the bay. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, great breakfast, a nice bar and lounge areas -- all for 180,000, or approx. $110! I love the extravagant places, but I didn't feel the Minerva was second rate at all. I'd go back in a minute. But I didn't care as much for Capri (daytripped out there), although I'm sure there's more I didn't see. Positano is beautiful, but I think I like Sorrento better. E-mail me if you want to chat some more. Have a great trip. If you call or fax the Minerva, ask for Mary Ellena -- she's the most helpful hotel person I've ever met. But they're all great there -- they greet you as if you're royalty.

Old May 19th, 1997, 11:59 AM
Allison

Check out the Travel & Leisure magazine this month. They have some beautiful looking hotels i the places you'll be going! Congrats and have fun!

Old Jun 9th, 1997, 06:34 AM
Greg Sherman

Colleen, Thanks for your message regarding the Minerva Hotel in Sorrento. I was pretty close to booking with the Excelsior Vittoria and then I got your response. How far off the beaten track is it? Are there balconies that overlook the coast? Is it a walk from the bus/train station or would we need a taxi? Thanks again.

Old Jun 9th, 1997, 07:56 AM
Rene McDaniel

The Amalfi coast is a wonderful place for a honeymoon! I did this trip a few years ago, and it was just spectacular! I thought Capri was nice (I did alot of walking/hiking), but a day-trip there or an overnight would probably be enough. It's very small, and you can see it pretty thoroughly in a single day. Instead of staying in Sorrento I stayed in the city of Amalfi (via the SITA bus) which is a very small charming town with a beautiful cathedral. The pension faced the ocean, and every morning, I would open the windows and look out at the beautiful ocean view! It was divine! As Sorrento kind of a large city, I would vote for the hotel recommended above (just "beyond" town), and something with an ocean view, and in a tranquil surrounding. Also, if you are renting a car, make sure you (or your new spouse) are not afraid of heights! I remember thinking "thank God I am not driving here!"

Old Jul 8th, 1997, 09:55 AM
Greg Sherman

Has anyone taken the overnight ferry from Naples to Palermo, Sicily? We have heard that the ferry is pretty nasty and that we should consider the train via Calabria. Any advice?