Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Honeymooners first time in Paris...tips?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/honeymooners-first-time-in-paris-tips-594002/)

ilovejen Feb 24th, 2006 12:27 PM

Honeymooners first time in Paris...tips??

Hey, first time poster here. Im getting married this June and we'll be heading off to Paris for our honeymoon. Neither of us has ever been and we're extremely excited (well I am, she doesnt know where we're going...its a secret) I've read the boards for a while and would love to tap into the wealth of knowledge here. Any tips at all on how to get around the city, the best places to stay, the things we must absolutely do while we're there would be great.

I've checked out a few hotels already, namely the Artus Hotel and the Hotel le Tourville. IF you have any information on these hotels, it would be much appreciated. If you have any other hotels to recommend on a budget of around $400-500 a night(for a junior suite or superior room I guess), I would certainly welcome that.

Thanks in advance!!

Jason

john127 Feb 24th, 2006 12:39 PM

Two kinda "touristy" places that we still talk about from our honeymoon:
Chez Francis - on the corner of St. George, right on the Seine if I recall. We ate here our first night in Paris. Great outdoor seating with a view of the twinkling Eiffel tower at night(food was terrific also).

Eat at Jules Verne. Great atmosphere, food, overall experience. Perfect for your honeymoon.

ira Feb 24th, 2006 12:43 PM

Hi J,

Check the miniguide to Paris under "destinations".

See Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236

Have a great visit.

((I))

SAnParis Feb 24th, 2006 12:43 PM

If you need tips for your honeymoon, particularly in Paris, God help you. Please take a look at the plethora of other posts on this topic & feel free to ask any specific questions where you are lacking sufficient detail. For $400-$500 a night I would think you would have many options. I am not familiar w/the 2 hotels you have mentioned. The Metro is my desired way to get around. I would suggest the Marais area as a place to stay myself, although that will depend on the poster. There are many great areas to stay in Paris.

Guy18 Feb 24th, 2006 12:47 PM

You MUST see the roses in the Bagatelle Gardens. They will be at their best in June, and they will take your breath away. Have a picture of you and Jen taken in their midst. A perfect remembrance of a perfect honeymoon in Paris.

TexasAggie Feb 24th, 2006 01:00 PM

Welcome to the Fodors Forum :-)

How long is your honeymoon? If you have more than 5 days I suggest taking a daytrip or two... to see the Palace of Versailles and some of the nearby castles.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! My husband and I honeymooned in Europe in 2004 and had a magical time.

mvor Feb 24th, 2006 01:10 PM

Jason, congratulations to you and Jen on your upcoming marriage!

We have stayed in the Artus many times and can happily recommend their Junior Suite. The bedroom is not that large but the bed is divine. However, the large, round soaking tub is fabulous. (I believe the hotel is currently undergoing renovations so please check w/Sanjay, or another staff member, to confirm the room's appointments.)

We rent apartments now but continue to send friends and family to this hotel and we've only heard raves.

A book that is frequently mentioned here is <u>Romantic Paris</u> by Thirza Vallois. I got a copy for Christmas but haven't read it yet so can't vouch for it personally but it's available at bn.com.

Search on posts about proposing in Paris you'll find lots of good info on romantic sites. Good luck~

ilovejen Feb 24th, 2006 01:18 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Mvor, my french is a bit rough (having not spoken it at all for about 6 years). How accomodating is Sanjay (I've heard lots of great things about him) to this? Don't want to feel too silly asking to speak to him in English.

TarheelsInNj Feb 24th, 2006 01:21 PM

Definitely take an evening river cruise. My husband and I did this on our honeymoon (we spent a weekend of it in Paris), and it's so romantic to see the city in lights! Just be aware that it doesn't get dark until close to 10pm in June, so you'll want to plan on a later cruise.

Also, if you plan to do this, bring a jacket! In mid-June, we were a bit chilly sitting in the open air.

Enjoy, and congratulations! :)