Reload this Page >

Honeymooners Beware in Positano at Miramare

Notices

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After doing extensive research and gathering opinions from other Fodorites, we reserved Room 210 at the Miramare for 3 days of our Honeymoon. On September 18, I received confirmation for the 3 nights. Much to our surprise - Rosita at the Miramare apparently booked 3 different Honeymoon couples into the same Room 210 for the same 3 nights. Extremely disappointed and ready to wage a war for our reservation, I forwarded our confirmation email trail and information to Rosita along with the mistaken email to a Mrs. Groves that was sent to me by mistake a few days ago. The Miramare is "willing" to give us the same price of 300 euros for a similiar room. How convenient.... What's italian for does this happen often?

I'm writing to vent my frustration with Rosita and the Miramare (we have called the Manager as well) and to find out if this has happened to anyone else and for others to be aware in advance of ruining what was to be a pleasant stay in Positano. Any other hotel suggestions? We are considering switching to Covo or Bucca.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Miramare! It seems a shame because the hotel's gotten such good reviews.

If you're looking elsewhere in Positano, I'd highly recommend Hotel Poseidon. The Poseidon has some jr. suites with lovely terraces overlooking town. The service, the food, and the location made this one of my favorite hotels anywhere. I only hope to go back as soon as possible!

Best of luck with your plans!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This reminds me of our stay at Palazza Murat in Positano. We originally tried to book directly with the hotel and they said it was too early (about a year in advance). We reserved on the first day we could by phone and the person told us we were the very first booking for that date. However, although we requested one of the rooms in the "old villa" they told us it would depend upon availability at check in. We arrived mid morning at the hotel and were clearly the first ones checking in, yet they told us all those "old villa" rooms were taken. We strolled by and saw two of them being cleaned by maids and clearly no guests were still in them -- no sign of luggage or personal effects. It seems sometimes they hold the best rooms for those booked through agencies they need for continued business. So we were assigned to lower level rooms (almost like a basement) even though we had been the first people to book for that date!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or some times, if you only book for 3 nights and someone else comes along and want to book for a week, they will move you to the less desirable room.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weddinginitaly.

That is an outrage! If you want to know how to say "Does this happen much?" in Italian to little Rosita repeat after me...O Rositina, Vi a fare in c****! Pardon my momentary lack of composure, but I just have no patience for this, especially to honeymooners! Darling, you are lucky you found out prior to departure and are still in time to book a reputable accomodation. Count your blessings. Hopefully you will not have to rely on AMEX to refund your deposit.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 10:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or they sometimes overbook deliberately to allow for "no shows" - then shunt you somewhere else if everyone turns up.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest the Covo - we stayed there for part of our honeymoon and had a lovely room with a huge terrace with sun loungers, table and chairs and retractable awning overlooking the ocean. We were able to sunbathe on our own terrace and order room service for food and drinks - we never had to leave.
I would suggest booking a room one step above a junior suite if you do stay there - much as it pains me to say this - Positano is land of the 'hide the nice room' game. On several occasions in several hotels I have reserved junior suites for a price which seemed to be high enough to secure a decent room and yet have been shown to horrible, dingy little dwellings. then suddenly as if by divine intervention, to the concierge's absolute and total surprise - a perfect room appears available for just $50 to $100 more a night. Personally, I would rather they just say up front that I will have to pay the extra for the room I want - I would gladly pay extra just to save myself the entire charade. It is annoying whenever it happens - on your honeymoon however when you are exhausted and all you want to do is have the room you booked it is very upsetting - so if you do decide to stay at the Covo (which, despite this rather long story I feel is truly worth the money) I would suggest just booking the deluxe jr, suite or whatever the step above jr. suite is to save yourself any angst.

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest the Covo - we stayed there for part of our honeymoon and had a lovely room with a huge terrace with sun loungers, table and chairs and retractable awning overlooking the ocean. We were able to sunbathe on our own terrace and order room service for food and drinks - we never had to leave.
I would suggest booking a room one step above a junior suite if you do stay there - much as it pains me to say this - Positano is land of the 'hide the nice room' game.
On several occasions in several hotels I have reserved junior suites for a price which seemed to be high enough to secure a decent room and yet have been shown to horrible, dingy little dwellings. Then suddenly - as if by divine intervention, to the concierge's absolute and total surprise - a perfect room appears available for just $50 to $100 more a night.
Personally, I would rather they just say up front that I will have to pay the extra for the room I want - I would gladly pay extra just to save myself the entire charade. It is annoying whenever it happens - on your honeymoon however when you are exhausted and all you want to do is have the room you booked it is very upsetting - so if you do decide to stay at the Covo (which, despite this rather long story I feel is truly worth the money) I would suggest just booking the deluxe jr, suite or whatever the step above jr. suite is to save yourself any angst.

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yikes! sorry I posted that twice - slip of the hand I am afraid!
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest changing hotels as the rest of your experience may be equally disappointing. Last year my husband and I stayed at Buca di Baco and loved it. We found it through Karen Browns Guide and took her suggestion on room 10. We did get the room requested and they said we must be a Karen Brown fan as we checked in.Many of her readers request this room. The room was charming and our terrace was as large as most hotel rooms. The view was stunning. I can't think of a more perfect spot for your honeymoon. We found the staff to be extremely helpful.