Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon trip to Italy in December - How much money to carry for 1 week?

Old Nov 12th, 2019, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my honeymoon in Early December for 1 week in Italy. The accommodations & Intercity Travel will be paid prior to arrival. Generally how much money do we need for one week? and How much cash should I carry with me per day?

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Ninad07Kulkarni; Nov 12th, 2019 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 03:31 AM

Pay mostly by credit card, and get cash from an ATM as you need it. I usually have no more than 100 euro cash.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carry a no foreign exchange fee ATM card for cash when needed. Carry no more than 100 euro cash at a time. Carry a no foreign transaction fee credit card for every purchase that allows a credit card. Do not get cash with the credit card (very high fees and immediate interest charges). Do not pay for purchases with the ATM card (no fraud protection). Your spouse should carry the same pack from a different bank just in case one card is lost, stolen, or eaten by the ATM machine.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 06:24 AM

Not sure if this helps but I like to carry 100 euro, I pay for most things with a card, but in out-of-the-way places the credit card machines do not, hhhm, work. So assuming that there are two of you on this honeymoon I would just take that sort of money. In terms of food, it depends on your standards but I'd plan on about E15 to 25 for lunch a person including wine, supper maybe E25 to 35 and the odd snack/icecream comes in at about E5 per person. Museums and galleries tend to be paid for in Italy and they average E10 per visit per person.

Of course, you can pay more or you can pay less. Italy has great pizza slices on the street for E5 or less.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My husband and I each carry a different credit card that has no foreign transaction fees. We charge most things and always choose to pay in euros as it should be a better exchange rate. They will offer for you to pay in USD or Euros, choose euros. Notify your credit cards prior to travel or they will probably decline all charges. Much easier to set up, usually online before you go. Visa and Mastercard are much more accepted than Amex.
I have a checking account with Wells Fargo just for travel. I only have a debit visa and I use this strictly as an atm card. You should try to use your atm at a bank in europe and if it eats your card, the bank should be able to retrieve it for you. I chose Wells because it is usable over there but there are many banks that you can use your debit card at in europe. Make sure your pin on all cards is limited to 4 numbers. European banks do accept 6 digit cards.
All credit transactions are done in front of you at the table in a restaurant. Don't let someone take your card to the back to charge.

On money, most people will tell you your best exchange rate is at the ATMs in Europe. I always get some money prior to going because I like to have some money on me on arrival when I am tired and not so with it after the over night flight. I would bring 300 euros and each carry 150. in different denominations. That is what we do. It gives you a cushion to have some cash handy in the beginning of your trip. Your atm transactions will be limited to a certain number of euros per day. Also tell your bank you are traveling or the atm will decline.
Everyone spends differently on vacation. You can eat fancy or eat cheap. Most restaurants and shops will take credit cards.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 08:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulips View Post
Pay mostly by credit card, and get cash from an ATM as you need it. I usually have no more than 100 euro cash.
Agreed