Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Honeymoon to London - Paris - Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/honeymoon-to-london-paris-rome-619821/)

Geihsler May 31st, 2006 11:14 AM

Honeymoon to London - Paris - Rome

Hey All,
Me and my Fiance are planning a 10 day trip to Europe. We are flying from Chicago to London staying 3 days, then taking Eurostar from London to Paris staying 3 days and taking Eurostar back to London, and finally flying from London to Rome staying 3 days and flying back to Chicago. It's a little ambitious, but we are young and on a very tight budget. I've been scouaring the internet for good cheap hotels and was hoping for suggestions on resonable hotels, where to eat on a budget, and if walking tours are really worth the money i.e. Icon, London wlaking tours, context rome. Hotels we are looking at include:
London : Crestfield Hotel
Comfort Tower of London
Paris: Hotel Wilson
Kyraid XVIII
Rome: Hotel Lirico
Welcome Home Residences

Also, we will be relying heavily on public transportation do any of you have suggestions for commuting from these cities ariports to there respective city centers?
I appreciate any help and/or advice you may be able to throw my way because I have been relying heavily on Tripadvisor.com and virtualtourist.com

P.S. > Me and my finace have never flown before - Not even kidding (so airport sggestions i.e. international flying suggestions would also help)

Thank you

ira May 31st, 2006 11:24 AM

Hi G,

Your fiance and you will not be on a honeymoon, you are planning an expedition.

With only 10 days, I suggest that you choose 2 of the 3 cities, better yet, one country.

((I))

janisj May 31st, 2006 11:33 AM

Congratulations on your wedding - now for a reality check. A <i>little</i> ambitious is an understatement. I 100% agree w/ Ira. All three cities are wonderful - but all three in 10 days is a killer. One day is probably totally lost to jet lag and one is lost to packing and flying home. Plus you lose 3/4 a day every time you move from one city to another.

Plus all the moving around costs a lot more than just doing one city/area.

I'd probably choose either London or Paris (plus maybe a couple of days in a nice contry inn) Or at very most 5 days in London and 4 in Paris (or vice versa)

Geihsler May 31st, 2006 11:36 AM

I believe you are correct it is an expedition , but my fear was What if this is the only chance we get to go to Europe? We have everything booked now but the Hotels. We (rather I) wanted to see and do as much as we possible could in the limited amount of time we had under the assumption that if we liked what we saw and had to do so we could take out time the next go around.

ira May 31st, 2006 11:36 AM

PS,

You can fly from Paris Orly to Rome Ciampino. You don't have to go back to London.

See www.whichbudget.com

Geihsler May 31st, 2006 11:38 AM

meant to say &quot;if we had the money to do so we could take our time the next go around.&quot;

AngelaS May 31st, 2006 11:39 AM

I agree with Ira - don't backtrack to London - see if you can swtich your tickets. Check out easyjet.com - super cheap flights within Europe. You'll be so tired running around (plus jetlag) you won't have time to enjoy!! Or - forget Paris this time &amp; just go to Rome. You will have more time later on another trip to see everything else.

janisj May 31st, 2006 11:45 AM

Unfortunately, you are not alone. Many first time travelers &quot;<i>want to see and do as much as possible in the limited amount of time</i>&quot; The problem is this schedule means you really aren't going to see/do all that much.

Exactly what all is booked? Intra-Europe flights and Eurostar? If so you are sort of stuck. Sorry to say you are spending a LOT of money on un-necessary travel (why back and forth to London to get to Rome for instance? )

And where are you flying home from -- Rome or London?

gard May 31st, 2006 11:48 AM

Hi

Sounds like a hectic honeymoon...sure you will have time for other important things :S- Paris and Rome are two of the most amazing cities in Europe. My wife and I just spent a week in Paris and it was great. We went to Rome last year and we stayed 5-6 days there. I know it is tempting to cover as much as poosible in one trip but it is better to try to focus on a city or two if you ask me. I just hope that you won't come back and all you remember is being on the move, on flights etc.

I have posted a trip report with pictures and links from our trip to Rome last year on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm ((Y)) Maybe you can find some useful information there. I will also post the trip report from Paris pretty soon on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com

Good lick with the wedding and the honeymoon planning :d

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway

Geihsler May 31st, 2006 11:49 AM

I was considering skipping Paris, but the idea of traveling on the Eurostar and making it to Paris in 2 1/2 hours seemed to great an adventure to pass up. Again, we have never flown so I may be bitting off more then I can chew but I think we can do it and have a bit of fun running &quot;the amazing race&quot; &gt; Haha JJ!

Geihsler May 31st, 2006 11:54 AM

Also Flying home from Rome!

janisj May 31st, 2006 11:58 AM

You haven't even flown before. I'm not trying to be rude - but you have no idea how time consuming getting out to the airport., security etc is. You are traveling that far to basically spend 2.5 days in each city.

London/Paris and even the Eurostar make sense - but adding Rome to the mix simply doesn't.

janisj May 31st, 2006 12:01 PM

OK - then why not skip Paris? Paris is the one city I would definitely want to include - but you just don't have time to go back and forth to Paris.

Or you could skip London - fly into London and immediately head on to Paris. Then travel to Rome and home from there.

AngelaS May 31st, 2006 12:01 PM

In Paris check out Hotel Diana - good clean hotel in the Latin Quarter - pretty cheap, less than 90E per night.

Geihsler May 31st, 2006 12:09 PM

Thank you AngelaS for the Hotel recomendation! &gt; Guys/Gals I am in pretty deep, but again it's hard to tell a guy that thinks he is always right that he may in fact be wrong. I may pull out on Paris (seeing as we would only be about $250), but again I believe that it can be done and would be enjoyable.

AngelaS May 31st, 2006 12:11 PM

Geihsler I know how you feel - we leave next week for our two week HM: Chicago - Paris (4 days there), then fly to Milan (eayjet), rent car, spend 5 days in Tuscany (this will be the relaxing part), then 4 days in Rome. People say that's a lot too, but if you plan your time well, I think you'll be OK - just do all your research at home before you leave!! It can be overwhelming &amp; congrats!! 8-)

Geihsler May 31st, 2006 12:21 PM

I am in fact one of those guys that has an itenary and agenda for every minute/hour of the day i.e. must do this or that at such and such time, but I've been told that this is no way to spend a Honeymoon in Europe. I would like to think that I could avoid doing this on my honeymoon, but I doubt that I will be able to. I have and will countinue to research the heck out of this trip (although I should have posted here sooner rather later). Which brings up another questions how much French/Itailian should one know when going into these countries because we have heard conflicting opinions on this.

AngelaS May 31st, 2006 12:25 PM

Ok (you can tell I'm bored at work, i'm sitting on this board!!) I think it can be helpful to get one of those language guide books - I think people always appreciate it when you try to speak their language. Check out the library - that's where I'm getting all of my stuff from!! but for the most part, in the bigger cities you will have no problem speaking English. But it's nice to say Buon Giorno, Ciao etc.

Geihsler May 31st, 2006 12:30 PM

I have been checking out all sorts of books from the library &gt; I was considering buying one of those computer CD-ROM;s for French/Itailan or a Pocket Translator from Sharper Image. Have you looked into these?

AngelaS May 31st, 2006 12:37 PM

Personally, I'm not crazy about pocket translators. I'm using a few books I got from the library - one French language book (it has various phrases, etc) &amp; an Italian one. You've got an 8 hour flight - I'll be reading mine then, try to learn at least a few phrases. On stuff like that I go really cheap &amp; just stick with the books from the library (just don't lose them over there!!)