Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon to lake como,how many hours from milano Italy

Mar 4th, 2001, 04:43 PM
giovanna

hello my name is giovanna.Next year My fiance' and I will be going to Paris then to Lake Como Italy, for our honeymoon then a day trip to Milano italy.How long is it from Lake Como to Milano italy. What is a nice a but romantic hotel to stay at in Lake Como? Is there lots to do and see there. My fiance' has relatives live there. We will be staying there for 4 days. Well I hope someone can help us out.We will be going in the middle of september.We are from Canada.

giovanna

Mar 4th, 2001, 04:47 PM
jbering

Last year I drove from Milan to Como, it didn't take too long. I can't remember how long, but probably 2 hours or so.
You can drive around the Lake and visit the towns of Cernobbio, Bellagio, Menaggio, and more. You can take a ferry from one place to the other if you don't want to drive. The route to Bellagio from Como is very narrow and windy.
Enjoy!

Mar 4th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Rex

Place to stay: Grand Hotel Victoria in Menaggio

Places to visit: Bellagio and Villa Balbianello

You can find more info on these with the following searches:

Menaggio: over 50 matches
Balbianello: 9 matches
Giovanna: 24 matches (19 of which are your questions about this honeymoon - - one of the most thoroughly Fodors-researched trips of the year!)

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 5th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Howard

Depending on traffic and exactly which town on the lake you are staying in, it shouldn't take you more than 2 hours to drive to Milan. However, you can take public transportation there. There is regular train service from 2 stations in the city of Como to the 2 stations in Milan, depending on where in Milan you want go to. The train takes about 40 minutes. And, if you are staying in one of the towns where the ferries go (i.e., Bellagio, Tremezzo, Varenna), you can take the ferry to Como. The ferry ride from Bellagio to Como takes 45 minutes.
In Bellagio, I can recommend the Hotel Belvedere.
As for sites to visit, I can recommend the Villa Carlotta in Tremezzo, the Villa Monastero in Varenna (this charming town is also worth your time to walk around in) and the Villa Melzi and Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio.
All in all, a great place for a honeymoon!

Mar 5th, 2001, 12:05 PM
coco

I agreee with Howard that you really should not need a car. Travel between Milano and Como (city) is akin to a "commuter" run. In addition to the trains from Milano Centrale to Como San Giovanni, the FMN trains runs from all 3 of the Milano Nord stations to all 3 of the Como Nord Stations. There may also be a train or 2 per day that run into Milano Garibaldi from San Giovanni. In other words, the train service is fabulous!