St Remy Provence suggestions

Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Remy Provence suggestions

I have just arrived in St Remy with my girlfriend - she is 21 and I am 23 - we will be here for four days and then we go to Gordes for a few days. We also have a car. Does anyone have any suggestions of nice things to do in St Remy or good places to eat, or good day trips we could do in the car? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the local towns and villages have markets on one day a week. You can check online or just ask at your hotel. We went to a few and they were good, the one at Isle sur la Sorgue was a standout, partly because of the lovely setting. Not sure what day that was though. Go early and stay for lunch. St Remy also has a good market.

There is a chocolate shop in St Remy which is expensive (all hand made and unusual flavours) but you can just buy one or two chocolates if you like. It's called Joel Durand.

There is a plaque on a house near the chocolate shop (from memory) with details of Nostradamus who lived there. There is also a connection with Vincent Van Gogh, can't remember but ask around if there is a museum or gallery. Also just enjoy wandering the streets of St Remy.

Kay
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 02:53 AM

The market in St Remy is on Wednesday. The one in Isle sur la Sorge is on Sunday but that is closer to Gordes where you say you are going next. There was also a smaller market in St Remy, I think it was Tuesday evening.

The St Paul Monastery is just south of the main part of St Remy and is a beautiful monastery/cloister/garden and has lots of Van Gogh info. This is where he lived for the last year before moving back to Paris (Auvers) and where he painted many of his most famous works. Right next to that is Glanum - roman ruins. There are two impressive ones right by the road that you can see for free, or pay admission to tour the more extensive area.

Les Baux is a ten minute drive south of St Remy - major tourist attraction (google it) but very worth while.

Have you been to Arles, Avignon, Uzes, Pont du Gard? All within an hour of St Remy. Just spent six days in St Remy last month and no shortage of things to do.
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Fantastic, thanks for your advise! We have decided to drive to the markets in Isle sur la Sorgue tomorrow (Sunday) morning and stay for lunch. Any suggestions of particularly nice restaurants that aren't too expensive there? Any tips for parking?

Also, any suggestions of particularly nice restaurants in St Remy?

Monday will be our last full day in St Remy and we drive to Gordes on Tuesday, so we can fit in two more towns - what would you recommend as the two best to visit in those days? We are really into our food and nice scenery (like everyone I suppose) - I really want to eat some delicious Provence chicken or duck.

Thanks so much for your advise, much appreciated.

James
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 05:21 AM

You should head to Glanum which is just outside St Remy.
http://mobile.monuments-nationaux.fr...e/bdd/monum/91

And for a unique experience -
Head to the Carrieres de Lumieres for an amazing art/lights/art:

Its Near Les Baux ( which is nice, but much like other hilltop, ancient ruins IMHO)

http://www.carrieres-lumieres.com/fr/home
Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM

agree that I think you should go to Les Baux. For towns to visit, might as well visit something over to the west as long as you are that way -- think about Uzes, it isn't that far, just go west on D99 across the river, then north at Beaucaire up to Remoulins, you can see the Pont du Gard if you care to, then a bit NW to Uzes.