Honeymoon tip to Italy in February?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning my honeymoon trip to Italy for 10 days in February(5-15th).
What is the weather like in early feb?

I am planning to visit Venice, Rome and Capri. What is the preferable iternary considering the fact that my flight will take me to milan first?
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Doble_Vergasser

What type of weather are you used to ?(North Dakota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Miami,...)

Venice in February might be warmer than home (or it might not).

Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely not be warmer than home which in Bombay, India. Any idea on what the temperatures are like?
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Alok--you can check here for historical high/low temperature averages and precipitation averages. Of course, averages are just averages--they are an indicator, but no guarantee.

www.weatherbase.com

Then check the 10-day weather forecasts on the internet just before you leave.
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:45 AM

I suggest you go first to Venice, simply because it's the most ideal place to relax from you trip. All you can do in Venice is either walk, or ride on water busses (called vaporetto singular or vaporetti plural). And you can do as little or as much of that as you wish.

In February it can be downright cold in the evening and early morning (low thirties on the old scale, around 5 degrees C), but days are much milder. Rain is possible, take a good long raincoat and hat. Flooding from the tides (called acqua alta = high water) is common, more of an amusing nuisance than anything else, but good footwear is recommended because it leaves puddles everywhere.

See if you can fly from Milan (Malpensa airport?) to Venice - getting out of Malpensa to catch a fast train is a pain, you're wasting time and energy for an hour or two, and then you spend three hours on the train. Flights only take an hour. Then you have a choice of water transport or ground (street-) transport into Venice.

I suggest you take a hotel not far from the train station, in the Cannaregio area, there are a few nice ones along streets like Lista Spagna and vicinity, it saves you the hassle of wrstling your luggage onto a vaporetto and across numerous bridges and down alleys - Venice is funny that way. Check the map at
www.doge.it/mappa_venezia/framemap.htm and others.

The train to Rome will take 4:33 hrs or more, or you can fly, of course.

You can do Capri as a day tour from Rome (it's not as appealing in February as in summer, with the shorter days and the lack of brilliant sunshine), or you can go stay the night, of course, there won't be that many people in February.

Enjoy

WK
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Ciao Alok - I can't think of a better place to honeymoon! February will be cold and rainy (but still romantic!) I would actually suggest scratching Capri from the list and considering something a little more "alive" for this time of the year as most things will be closed down in Capri at this time of the year. Places to consider: Florence, Siena or a lovely old villa/farmhouse in Tuscany. If you want to try something different, special and romantic, I suggest Baur B&B in Piemonte (www.baurbb.com).

Let me know if you need assistance with trip planning, excursions, etc...Have a wonderful & romantic time!
Old Nov 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM
ira

Hi Alok,

I also suggest leaving out Capri.

If the seas are rough you might not be able to get on or off the island.

Ferries will be on the off-season schedule. Weather will be iffy.