Honeymoon - Seville? Barcelona? Toledo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm planning our honeymoon for late September of this year and we've narrowed it to Spain (well, that's better than the entire world, where it was before!) We've only got about a week, and I'm not too familiar with Spanish sights (I'm a travelphile, I'll go anywhere, anytime.) and my two main choices are Barcelona and Seville. Any commentaries on either?

We're looking for, yes, a little romance, museums, *maybe* beaches, historical sights, local sights...

Please help!! My friends are less well traveled! I've also heard of the castles you can stay in in Spain? But I can't seem to locate them online...

Thanks in advance for any tips/comments you have!

Lori
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 12:10 PM

I just got back from a trip to Spain in May. I enjoyed both Barcelona and Sevilla, for different reasons.

Barcelona has more shopping, and interesting contrasts between the architecture of the upscale Eixample district (which in some ways reminded me of the Grands Boulevards in Paris) and the narrow, winding streets of the Bari Gotic. Barcelona is also known for its nightlife, and has several top-notch museums.

For all that, I'd probably lean towards Sevilla for a honeymoon. The city itself is just beautiful to wander around, and to me felt more intimate and typically "Spanish". You can also break up your week by spending 4-5 days in Sevilla and a couple elsewhere in Andalucia; Granada and its Alhambra are amazing.

I suggest taking a look at some guidebooks that have lots of pictures, (such as the DK guides) to see which place seems more appealing to you.

Not sure about castles, but there are hotels in (mostly) historic buildings called paradors. Here's the website: www.parador.es/

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 12:43 PM

Hi Lori. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Spain back in Sept of 97 (Barcelona/Menorca/Madrid) and more recently spent a long week in Southern Spain (including Seville).

While it's a tough choice, I'd lean towards Barcelona with 2-3 days spent at a beach or an island. We had a wonderful time in Barcelona seeing the numerous sights, strolling the romantic Gothic quarter, eating lots of tapas, and enjoying numerous drinks in numerous little local bars. It was a happy, beautiful and fun place.

To get away from the city we took a quick flight to Menorca, the sleepier of the Baleric islands and stayed at Hotel Mahon in Mahon - a great town with a great waterfront. Rented a jeep for a day to drive all around the island to see prehistoric ruins. Found it to be a cute & romantic place. In late Sept, we seemed to have the place to ourselves.

Madrid was a bit too busy for us - we could have skipped it.

What ever you choose, you've made a great choice in Spain.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 12:54 PM
aj

Elisette,

We took our first trip to Seville in May and loved it. It is small enough to walk to most of the sights, the streets are narrow, winding and very "romantic". The evening is a good time to take a lovers stroll and you will not be alone. It seems all of Seville is out for a stroll in the evening arm and arm. It can also be very romantic to set at a street cafe and have a wonderful pitcher of Sangria and talk about your new life together. There is a wonderful art museum, and many historical sights and gardens. I can't wait to go back someday. Congratulations and enjoy.