Honeymoon on a budget

Jan 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon on a budget

My fiance and I do not have a lot of money to spend on our honeymoon ($2500 excluding airfare is our limit). We'd love to go to either Italy or Greece but the hotels seem really expensive. Any suggestions for a great ~10 day vacation? We have done a lot of backpacking and do not mind plain hotels as long as they are clean and well located.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:26 PM

$250 a day not including air? Of course you can do it. Just forget about places like the Amalfi Coast and avoid tons of time in the big cities.
I think Greece will give you more bang for the buck -- if you're not overlapping the Olympics.

If Italy, think Tuscany and Cinque Terre with maybe a night or two in Venice for the romance.

Greece, think Santorini for the romance, and maybe Crete for the adventure -- spectacular hiking there, and wonderful seaside tavernas. The Loucas hotel in Santorini had neat cave rooms and the same million dollar views and private terraces of the expensive places, but is usually around $ 100 a night!
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM

I agree with Patrick that your money will go farther in Greece as long as it's not over the Olympics and as long as you can get decent airfare. I can suggest some cheaper but nice hotels when you know when and where you want to go.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Hi, congratulations Bakpakr!

Greece, definitely. I honeymooned on Patmos so I'm biased . . . get a traditional house for some privacy, quiet, and romantic meals when you don't feel like going out. I'd do 1-2 islands and rent a place on each - you will be surprised how reasonable the prices can be.

Check this for alternative islands:
http://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/

I'd fly via London or Amsterdam, then take a charter flight directly to whatever island you want to hop from . . . avoid Athens, if you're not Olympics-bound.

You will find that islanders will be happy you are there, welcoming as always (not trying to hawk you anything!!) - and - let it be known you're honeymooning, and the island will be your oyster.

Take it slow and decide which beach you want to scooter it to every day . . .
HTH, have fun and very best wishes with all your plans!!
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:16 PM

I'm pretty picky and by researching online including this helpful fodors board, I planned our 14 day honeymoon in High season (June/July) in N/central Italy with an average of 110euro per night for places to stay, all with private bath. Lake Como and VEnice were the most expensive (approx 140) All others were under 100 euro. Albergos, rooms for rent, apts, b&b's, agriturisimos. Search, you can find it and do it easily.
www.eurocheapo.com
www.lonelyplanet.com
ricksteves.com
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:32 PM

We're renting an apartment in Tuscany for 400 Euro a week and plan to take day trips thru the region, or just sit back, drink wine, and enjoy the ambiance.

If you would do something along those lines, you could splurge for the other 3 nights.

We honeymooned cruising the Greek Islands -- don't remember the costs, but you have picked two great choices to chose from -- either one you will be very happy. What time of the year are you planning?
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM

We too are planning a budget honeymoon to Italy and have had little trouble finding reasonable accomodations in Florence, Rome and Venice. Try the Peterson B&B in Florence (approx. 70 Euro), the Angels B & B in Vencice (aprox. 100 euro) and The Italia in Rome (110 euro). Although I've never stayed at any of these, they seem to have good reviews for basic accomodations.
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:03 AM
ira

Hi bakpakr,

$250 a day is a reasonable budget. You can see Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast.

We stayed at the B&B Peterson (www.bedinflorence.com) for about 65E/night and the Le Sirene (www.lesirene.it) hotel in Praiano for about 90E/night.

These threads might be useful to you

Ira?s Trip Report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34443340

Trenitalia Tickets Online
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34465647
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:18 AM
BDM

Dear Bakpakr,

Look into Portugal. You can live pretty large on a moderate budget. We honeymooned there 17 years ago and went again 3 years ago for BDay party for my Dad.

The beaches in the south (Algarve) are some of the best I've seen in Europe, the people are excessively nice, and you couldn't spend $75 on dinner if you wanted to (believe me, we tried) Unless you order lobster most entrees are 8-12E and most restaurants don't have any wines over 20E

Check it out.

Brian
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:23 AM

You can definately do Italy on that much. The hotels recommended on this board and by Fodors in general tend to be more than that price but check Rick Steves hotel recommendations-he usually has more lower cost recommendations. For the amount of time we are usually in a hotel, we usually opt for cheaper hotels too.
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Go where you want to go! My wife and I could do Italy INCLUDING airfare for $2500. There are some wonderful inexpensive B&B's in Venice.

Personally I would fly in and out of Rome. Checking to see if I could fly out of Venice without spending more that a $100 or so would be a wise investement. Spend several days in Rome, then travel to a quiter hill town for a day or two. Perhaps Siena or Orvieto. Then finish up in Venice.

If you stick with public transportation, stay in B&B's, have wonderful picnic lunches and avoid any $200 dinners you will not only have a fabulous Honeymoon and not have the added worry of huge bills when you get home.

This isn't to say Greece or other destinations may not be somewhat cheaper, but don't let a modest budget stop you from seeing Bella Italy.

If you do choose Italy I'l be happy to send you some of our favorite budget places to stay as well as the name of a great gondolier in Venice. (I had no clue that which gondolier you chose could impact the quality of your ride so greatly!)

Cheers, the turnip
Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM

IMO, Greece is one of the cheapest European countries, especially on the islands (not so much in Athens, but who wants to honeymoon there anyways). You can find wonderful hotels for 50 euros a night, and that's on touristy islands like Santorini. I've stayed at B&B type places in Paros for less than $20 a night. Currently, I'm planning a two week trip to Italy and am finding that hotels there are much more pricey. For example, a 3 star hotel in Florence is 100-150 euros. A C class hotel in Santorini is 50-70 euros. My experience in Greece has been that while the lower end hotels (B or C class) have less to offer you, they are always very clean and well presented. Also, you can eat in Greece for super cheap.

So definitely don't rule it out!

When is your HM? One other thing to keep in mind is that while Spain and Italy consider March-June and Sept on high season, Greek hotels do not. May is cheaper than June, which is cheaper than July. August is the most expensive, and then mid Sept to Oct is more reasonable again.
Mar 4th, 2004, 07:32 AM
ira

t
Mar 4th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Absolutely!!! My fiancé and I have booked an Italian honeymoon in high season. The total cost for our 14 days, plus travel days, for airfare, rental car, and lodging in Venice, Siena, Rome, and Positano is $3200. We could have done a lot of things much cheaper - trains instead of rental car, cheaper lodging or even forgoing a balcony in Rome or a canal view in Venice. Of course, this doesn't count spending money, but it did include our airfare. I think the key is finding a good deal on airfare, which we got when Alitalia had a great sale going on a few weeks ago.
Mar 4th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Hi bakpakr !

Could I add another choice to your wonderful list ? TURKEY

for 2500 Usd you could even do a luxuary honeymoon. Just wanted to give an idea. You could even consider Greek Islands and Turkey if its not feels rush.

Congratulations and have great time wherever you decide to go....

Murat