Honeymoon Itinerary - Too Bold?

Feb 22nd, 2003, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Itinerary - Too Bold?

We will be flying to Venice in late May for our honeymoon. Is the following itinerary too crazy?

5-23 Arrive Venice 4:05 PM
5-24 Venice
5-25 Fly Venice to Naples @ 5:15 PM, train to Sorrento
5-26 Sorrento
5-27 Sorrento / Capri
5-28 Rent a car and drive to Pompeii, Rome
5-29 Rome
Depart Rome @ 7 PM on 5-29

Is there somewhere to park in Pompeii to take in the sights? Is it crazy to fly from Venice to Naples? Want to see as much of Italy as we can in a limited amount of time but also want to be able to relax. I know we will have very little time in Rome but I have been told that the Colisseum and Vatican can be done in a day and that Rome is not a very nice city worth spending more time in. Is that inaccurate? Any suggestions for making our honeymoon better? All of your comments are appreciated!
Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:29 AM

I love Capri, but I'd drop it. On a rushed trip to spend a day to get on a boat go to Capri to mingle with the crowds and return to Sorrento just isn't worth it in my opinion. I'd opt for a chance to go along the coast to Positano and Amalfi instead. If you were spending a night or two in Capri, then yes I'd go for it. I find that the vast majority of people who didn't really care for Capri only went as daytrippers.
As a further suggestion, I'd spend that day doing the Pompei trip by train from Sorrento, very easy. Then go by train on 5-28 directly to Rome so you have the better part of an extra day there. I wouldn't rent a car just to drive to Rome.

So you're really talking about:
2 nights in Venice
3 nights in Sorrento
2 nights in Rome.
If this is your first trip to Italy and you have your heart set on those destinations, I'd go for it. It will be fast, but give you a decent taste of three areas.
Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:13 AM

I count only one night in Rome. That definitely isn't enough time for Rome, though it would be enough time to see the Colosseum and the Vatican, and if it's otherwise convenient for you to fly out of Rome I guess it's ok.

I actually did enjoy a day trip to Capri, but I haven't been to the Amalfi coast, so I can't recommend one over the other - read up on both options and see which you find more appealing.

Overnight trains are not to everyone's taste, but you might want to consider taking the night train from Venice to Naples, and then visiting Pompeii the next day on the way to Sorrento.
Feb 23rd, 2003, 09:53 AM

Leave out everything but venice and rome
even then it is really to much.Listed itinerary looks like a race on planes and trains and automobiles.Rr
Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:34 AM

My opinion is this is definitely too rushed and agree with the suggestion to omit Capri. Also, whoever told you Rome isn't worth more than a day, must have spent only one day there. It is an incredible city with so much more than just the Vatican. If I were you, I'd see either Venice or the Amalfi coast but not both in this short amount of time. Consider the time and cost savings of flying Round Trip to Rome if you decide to cut out Venice.
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:35 PM

I often wonder what people who recommend only one day in a place like Rome or Venice leave out? On our first trip to Italy, we spent 4-1/2 days in Venice and 5 in Rome and still weren't able to see what we considered important sights. Rome is more than the Vatican, Colosseum, and Trevi Fountain. Venice is more than P. San Marco, the Grand Canal, and the Rialto Bridge. Rome is a major world city--besides all of the historical and artistic sights that take several days to see on their own, it has everything else you'd expect in a major city.
Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:30 PM

Might mention that after you arrive in Naples (@Napoli Centrale Train Station is the Circumvesuviana Train). Not sure if that is the train you were referring to. It is a local commuter train.....from Naples to Sorrento is at least an hour. Especially at that hour you might want to check on another source of transportation. I have been on this train several times and it is no Eurostar!
Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:35 PM

Our first trip to Italy many years ago was for 3 weeks..loosely planned..we never left Rome and have returned several times since. I cannot believe someone said you could do it in a day!
Feb 24th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Are you set on those certain cities? We have a 2 wk honeymoon planned and are just doing Northern Italy and we are active busy city people. We are leaving Rome and Amalfi for a trip in and of itself. Everyone I know and trust with travel trips says Rome can easily be a week all by itself. Have you looked into Florence? It's in between Rome and Venice and you don't sound that psyched about Rome (so I'm not sure why you'd even go with so many other choices available). For just a week you are spreading yourself all over Italy and missing key areas like Lake Como, Cinque Terre and Tuscany/Umbria.
Feb 24th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Unless your name is MarinaK, you can't come close to seeing Rome in a day (some will get the joke).

Seriously, I agree with the others, you're trying to do way too much. Also, it is your honeymoon. IMO, no honeymoon should be spent rushing around. Take your trip sloooowly, walking arm in arm like the Italians. Once you get there, you'll see what I mean.

IMO, I would do Venice or Rome. You could also see Venice and Rome and travel by train. You really only have 5 full days. The other alternative is Rome and Sorrento/Capri.

Good Luck.