Honeymoon: Italy in August?

Apr 26th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Kevin

Honeymoon: Italy in August?

Was planning to see Amalfi Coast, Siena, Florence and Venice but have been told the town shops, restaurants, etc. are closed in August. Is there reason to worry or will we still be able to see Italy alive in the streets? Thanks!

Apr 26th, 2001, 02:41 PM
hot and humid

Last time I was in Italy in August, I promised myself not to come back until the weather was cooler. However, I was driving in a car without AC. I've been to Italy at other times during the year and it's great. I'm sure you'll love it.

I am even more familiar with France. People say the same thing--that the country shuts down in August. With rare exceptions it has never been a problem for us at all. Have a great trip!

Apr 26th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Linda

A lot of Italy DOES close down in August. That is when the Italians take their vacations. However, they are on vacation, too, and need restaurants, etc. I wouldn't worry, you'll always be able to find someplace to eat, especially in the major tourist areas you are going to visit. Some places never close, others close just for two or three weeks, so there are always places open. The only problem may be if you set your heart on eating someplace specific--they may be on vacation the same week you are. And yes, Italy will be alive, especially in the south--they have too much "joie de vivre" to be anything else. Congratulations on your impending marriage, and have a ball.

Apr 26th, 2001, 04:42 PM
zz-top

If you could push back the honeymoon until September, the weather is ALOT better than in August.

Apr 26th, 2001, 08:48 PM
liz

Kevin, Congratulations! We went to Italy in August 2 years ago and are going again this summer. Yes it's warm but try to stay in places with AC and have a pool or ocean nearby and you'll be fine. I always carry along a little mist bottle of Evian for a nice refreshing blast ( get them at drugstores) A lot of shops do close down, but tons stay open and reep the August tourist dollars. I would never turn down August in Italy, actually I'd go anytime! Have a great time!

Search this Thread