Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Venice / Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 1998, 01:03 PM
Bill Kniering

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon the middle of April to Venice and Florence. We are looking at the Danieli and Europa & Regina in Venice and have not decided on a Florence hotel yet. Any reccomendations from anyone who has stayed at either hotel and reccos on Florence. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Sep 9th, 1998, 02:04 PM
kam

A really charming hotel in Florence where we have stayed several times is the Lungarno fax 011-39-55-268437. It is across the Ponte Vecchio from the city, on the river bank and if you request a room facing the river, the view back to the city is very charming. Plus it's a little quieter than some of the others. Lots of good restaurants in the area and one of the best gelatorias! I have other recommendations for Florence, but this is the one I would choose for a honeymoon.(you do need the "room with the view", however so book well ahead--even now if possible). In Venice I know both your choices. The Danieli is one of the best, but is in a more crowded location than the Europa. I would choose the Europa--slightly less expensive, right on the Grand Canal with a little bar for coffee and aperitifs on a small porch and the restaurant also faces the Grand Canal. It's an easy walk to San Marco and there's a Vaporetto right near. Harry's Bar is just down the way also. Big, old European hotel with linen sheets and huge bathrooms--some of the nicest staff I've met anywhere (I had a bout of food poisoning there(no fault of the hotel--my own for being too adventurous) and had my own "nursemaid" in the housekeeper to bring tea and water and look in on me---husband had to leave for meetings.) Some of the rooms face the Grand Canal but that's both a blessing and a curse---probably OK in April, however. Great time to visit Italy--congrats and let me know if you need more. <BR>

Old Sep 12th, 1998, 07:34 AM
Bill Kniering

Do you know the price range of the Lungarno? We have been looking also at the Grand Hotel and Excelsior which I know are probably higher priced. It appears that the Regina and Danieli are on either sides of the Palazzo. What makes the Danieli's location more crowded? Any help is appreciated.

Old Sep 12th, 1998, 09:55 AM
Richard Vicek

Good afternoon, Bill <BR>Can normally get hotel prices off of www.hotelguide.ch/, usually good with prices. the Lungarno is in a quieter area that those on the opposite side of the river, we normally use the Continental by the Ponte Vecchio and the noise is something, sometimes at night. <BR>For Venice would suggest the Europa @ Regina, it is one the Grand Canal and is less than a block from the Pza S. Marco. <BR>Here are a couple of web sites: <BR>www.venere.it/-----www.doge.it/----- <BR>http://www.traveleurope.it/----www.e.../tourism.htm./ http://www.aboutvenice.com/----www.c...nline.it/----- <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, Il..... <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 15th, 1998, 03:54 PM
Rod Hoots

My wife and I have stayed at both named hotels in Venice several times and recommend the Danieli. Both hotels are close to San Marco square. Don't understand the comment about the Danieli being in a more crowded area - our experience is the opposite. The Danieli's windows were soundproofed a couple of years ago. At either hotel, don't stay in their cheapest rooms but pick something in the middle or top price range.

Old Sep 16th, 1998, 09:39 AM
Steve the Guide

Hotel Lungarno web site (with prices and informations: http://www.lungarnohotels.it <BR>Another nice Hotels very nice are: <BR>H. Brunelleschi (next to the Piazza Signoria: http://www.dada.it/brunelle <BR>and Grand Hotel Minerva (next to the train-station) fax +055 268281, highly <BR>recommend. Ciao.

Old Sep 25th, 1998, 11:15 AM
Anna

Hi, congratulations! <BR>Florence has a lot of wonderful hotels. Check virgilio.it and then the alberghi section. Many of them have pictures of the rooms and of the locations. <BR> <BR>