Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Venice and Rome-need a hotel, please.

Mar 20th, 2002, 09:57 AM
jdoyle

We're heading to Venice for 4 days in June, 3 days in Rome and a week in Capri and need hotel recommendations for Venice and Rome. I'd like to stay at the Danieli in Venice but it's outside of my budget so I'm looking for something spectacular for under $350 USD a night. Help, please. Thank you.

Mar 20th, 2002, 10:15 AM
elaine

"spectacular" is hard to say, but I can offer very very nice:
Look into the Ca' Pisani hotel in Dorsoduro, and the Colombina in San Marco. I have not stayed at either, but I've "inspected" them, and friends of mine just got back from staying at the Ca' Pisani. It's quite near the
Accademia and is only a year or two old.
Decor is hip/art deco/modernish, great looking as long as you don't want the traditional velvet drapes and foggy mirrors look. Service said to be excellent, and some of the rooms are largeish, and the junior suite has two bathrooms.
The Colombina has more traditional decor, but fresh, light and airy. Rooms larger than average for Venice.
Excellent location behind Piazza San Marco. Some rooms overlook a small canal, others a quiet courtyard.
Don't wait to book, the Ca' Pisani especially is "hot" because it has appeared in some magazines.
By the way, a very nice hotel quite near the Danieli is the Metropole, which many on this message board have praised. You can do a search on that one here, or for the others, for past comments, but a lot of the past comments on the Colombina are mine.

You can always go the Danieli for lunch (very nice!) or a drink.

Mar 20th, 2002, 10:16 AM
elaine

Sorry, just in case I wasn't clear, the hotels I was discussing are in Venice.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:36 PM
elaine

topping

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:40 PM
elaine

one more time

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Charyl

Try the Bonvecchiati. It's great and in a nice quiet area, but still very convenient to St. Mark's. Stayed there last year and loved it

Mar 20th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Lacristina

Try the Hotel Forum, $310+ euros per night for a double, 4 star hotel. (http://www.hotelforum.com) (Ask for a room with a view.) It is very centrally located. It literally overlooks the Imperial and Roman Forums but is on a quiet street. The top floor restaurant has an incredible view. You eat breakfast there, and it would be great for ordering a drink. But don't eat there.

Instead, try Ostaria Costanza, about a 10 minute walk, with fabulous food at a reasonable price. The restaurant is inside a portion of the carved-up remains of Pompey's Theater, the site of Julius Caesar's murder in 44 BC. They have a brochure on the story of the restaurant. Piazza Paradiso 63/65 Tel 06 68 61 717. Closed on Sundays.

The Hotel Forum also has a wonderful, elegant, comfortable lobby, with a bar.

Have a great time!

Mar 20th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Rex

You might want to also read this very similar recent thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1349630

"Venice hotel for honeymoon"

- - which I will also top for you.

But I quite agree with Cheryl's suggestion of the Bonvecchiati. There's an especially nice room on the very top floor - - if you don't mind, and are physically capable of a short flight flight of stair (the elevator stops one floor below).

they have larger rooms than this, but it seems kinda like your own penthouse - - and one of the few with a canal view (back side of the hotel -- the front side faces an Armani shop!)

Best wishes on your new life in marriage,

Rex