Honeymoon in Tuscany

Jun 25th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Ian

Honeymoon in Tuscany

I want to take my wife to Tuscany and Umbria in September. Where is a beautiful, romantic place to stay?

Jun 25th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Rex

Locanda dell'Amorosa (Sinalunga) or Siena or Florence or Assisi would be the easy lay-up answers. Some combination of two or more would also make sense.

But knowing more about your travel experience level and expectations might influence the answer a ton.

Any reason you are choosing those two destinations and not considering Bellagio or Venice or Amalfi, for example?

Whatever the factors influencing your decisions, congratulations on your new life in marriage.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jun 25th, 2002, 06:47 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Ian, There are dozens of wonderful places. It depends on your budget, if you plan to drive, and location. Usually, it is best to plan on 2 locations to see the best of both regions. Sep is very popular--do not tarry.

Jun 26th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Henly Gold

Casali di Bibbiano, www.albertowinery.com.

It is 25 minutes south of Siena, in a great location, very romantic and excellent food.

Jun 26th, 2002, 06:05 AM
xxx

Cortona - Il Falconiere (great villa in the countryside)
Florence - Excelsior (or any number of hotels)

Jun 26th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Alice Twain

I think that your best option is to drive throught the two regions and search for some nice agritourism where you can sleep and also have breakfast and dinner while staying in the middle of the beautiful countryside of these two regions. I think that the minimum stay vould be 1 week (3 days for each region + 1 day for arrival/departure), although 2 weeks would be much better. If you have alread been to Florence you might consider skipping it altoghether and finding a place to stay in Colline Metallifere (south of Pisa and near Siena). The area is rather similar to Chianti but it is cheaper. Finding a place to stay in Casole d'Elsa, Colle Val d'Elsa or some other place nearby you will be only 25 minutes from Siena, 15 minutes from San Gimignano and will have within easy reach (often closer than the two above) Chiusdino, San Galgano, Massa Marittima and several other interesting places (check the photos I made last year in the area at the Tuscany section of the site http://www.alicetwain.supereva.it/ph...toindex.html?p. This year's photos are not on-line yet).
If you haven't been to Florence yet, consider staying in the Chianti area or in the less famous but as fascinating and cheaper hills surrounding Pistoia or in the Casentino or Valdichiana areas, from which you will be abel to reach Firenze (go by car until the outskirts of the city, than leave the car in a parking lot and take a bus) as well as several other great places. you can visit sothern Chianti area (Montalcino, Pienza etc.) as you are on your way to Umbria. Check http://www.turismo.toscana.it/ for general informations on Tuscany and www.agriturismo.regione.toscana.it for a complete listing of Tuscanian agritourisms.
In Umbria, the area surrounding Perugia ha as many agritourisms as Chianti, although they seem to be a bit more costly. Also in Umbria staying in agritourisms will allow you to stay in the countryside but within reach of the major sites and cities. Check http://www.umbria2000.it/ for general touristic informations and http://www.umbria-agriturismo.com/ and http://www.agriturismoitaly.it/umbria.htm for a list of agritourisms.

Jun 26th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Helen Donegan

Ian, you didn't mention your budget or the time you want to stay in each place - you can find beautiful, romantic places all over, from apartments to 4/5 star hotels.
Have you ever been to Italy before? Are you intending to visit anywhere else? Driving? etc.

Jun 26th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Carin

topping for Frank

Jun 27th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Paul

Ian, My wife and I stayed at the Villa Pambuffetti, in Montefalco, Umbria last November, and found it to be wonderful. We were there in the off-season, so it was nearly empty and I think we got a break on the price, but I'd recommend checking it out. We usually stay in agritourism places, so this was a change of pace, but a nice one. Have a great trip wherever you go.

Jun 27th, 2002, 12:46 PM
ledbetter

I strongly recommend Castel Bigozzi in Strove, near Monteriggioni. It is near Siena so it is convenient to Tuscany and Umbria. You can read about it and view pictures at www.chiantiturismo.com. The pictures do not do it justice. Especially the large hilltop granite pool with a panoramic view of the Tuscan countryside.

I chose not to spring for this and to go to its sister hotel instead, Casalta. But I visited Castel Bigozzi and there is no doubt it would have been well worth it.