Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in the Greek Isles - any suggestions?

Apr 19th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Jessica

My fiance and I are looking into a honeymoon in the Greek Isles next July (no harm in planning in advance!). Good food, scenery, beach and R&R are on our agenda (and maybe some hiking, snorkeling). Which islands would you recommend and why? any recommendations for romantic, yet reasonable hotels?

Apr 19th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Thyra

My husband and I returned last October from a 3 week trip to Greece. We few to Santorini and Mykonos, then took a yacht trip in between the islands in the Saronic Gulf Aegina, Poros, Spetses, Hydra. The yacht thing was a terrific way to see the islands especially fun for non-sailors like us. The most spectacular island we visited was Santorini.. really impressive and perfect for a honeymoon. We stayed at the Loucas Hotel, which is oft discussed on this forum, for only $77.00 per night it was the highlight of our trip and you definately are not doing things too far in advance, since your honeymoon is in July (Prime tourist season) you will need to book at least 6 months in advance, IMHO especially if budget and location are important to you.
For a good alphabetical listing of all the Greek Islands go to
www.greektravel.com
Matt Barrett responds personally to emails and is very knowledgeable, we personally had a bad experience with the rental car company which was posted on his website, so I don't recommend all of his endorsements, but for general info, he's a great source.

Apr 19th, 2001, 02:34 PM
jill

http://www.exasyachts.com/dodekanesa%20itinerary.htm. is a sailing charter company out of Athens- I am going this summer. A friend of mine just got back from her sailing honeymoon and was absolutely thrilled- in fact- sold me on going this summer! Check it out. Price is great as well due to currency exchange.

Apr 19th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Thyra

Exas was the company we chartered with I can't say enough about them
They are A+++++++ 150% THE best company I have EVER dealt with period.
BTW, sadly no, I don't work for them.

Apr 20th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Sue

Hi,

Besides the usual go the web site www.symivisitor.com This little island is off the coast of Rhodes and you have to go to rhodes and take a ferry to symi. It is charming. the web site tells it all. also Santorini is the usual that is great for a few days. Try the Katikies (sp) hotel in Oia. the pool is knock'm dead.