Honeymoon in the Greek Islands

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Jeremy

Honeymoon in the Greek Islands

Hello everyone my name is Jeremy and I am going to be travelling to the Greek Islands for my Honeymoon at the end of May 2001. I have been receiving a lot of confusing feedback from a lot of different people. I was just wondering if anyone out there had any recommendations for about a three week stay? Can anyone recommend good web sites or guide books? Thank you all for your help it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jeremy

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 01:06 PM
Susan

Unfortunately coming to this forum for advice will probably mean more confusion! There was a Greek island hosted forum last year - you might want to check that out. However, I don't think you'll find much consensus anywhere you look!

I know that lots of people like Santorini a lot and it's highly recommended for honeymooners. It's ok, but I wasn't really that impressed by it - sure it's quite stunning visually and I'm glad I saw it, but I thought it was overrated. I really like Naxos, but others have not been impressed. Rhodes is impressive, but lots of tourists.

See what I mean?

You're right about getting a good guidebook. I personally like Lonely Planet, even though it's sometimes too student or budget oriented for my tastes. I usually try to get several books from the library and do a lot of reading, then maybe buy 1 book.

Given that the Greek islands cover a fairly large area, you may want to narrow your choices down to the Cyclades or one of the other groups. You can also fly from one island to another.

Good luck! I know it's hard to narrow down it down. There's just too much to see!

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 01:06 PM
Patrick

Jeremy, I'm sure a lot of us here would love to help you, but first we need a little more information. What are your goals? (Yes, I realize it's your honeymoon so no need to overstate the obvious.) Do you want to relax at beach resorts? Are you both into exploring ruins? What kind of budget do you have for the total trip? Are you into driving in Greece, or would you rather use all public transport. Do you picture staying one place or would you rather really explore a number of islands and get a good overview? We did almost 4 weeks in June and stayed on 7 islands plus three nights in Athens. It was great for us, we're not good at relaxing and remaining idle. But others would prefer to stay a week each on a couple of islands. What do you think?

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Thyra

Hi Jeremy, as mentioned above alot of it depends on what type of people you are. We were just in Santorini and really loved it. The view was spectacular and it was very relaxing though there was plenty to do. I found that after the stress of my wedding I really looked forward to doing nothing! But it all depends on what you are interested in. There is a nice website at www.greektravel.com that has an alphabetical listing of all the islands and where there is to do/see on each one I found it invaluable when planning our trip last month. If it were my honeymoon I would shoot for Santorini, since it nearly felt like a honeymoon and we've been married for 4 years!

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 08:04 AM
Karen

Hi everyone,
I'm Jeremy's fiancee. I thought I'd give you a little more info on our plans in order to give you all a better idea of what we are looking for.
We are looking at the Cyclades definitely. We are also partial to Crete as we have heard lots of good things about it.
Neither of us is the 'lounging on the beach' type of person. We are very interested in exploring ruins, however, we are not opposed to having 2-3 days of being totally lazy. We are also interested in good food.
I don't think that we are into driving in Greece. Neither of us have any experience in international driving...therefore I don't think that Greece is the place to start! Public transit is fine with us. As for budget...well, we would like to do it relatively inexpensively. We haven't really discussed a number yet, but we are thinking that we would like to rent an appartment wherever we go so that we have the option of making our own meals if we so desire.
We will be there for about 17 days. We don't want to spend the whole time on one island. We would like a variety, however, we would like to do it at a fairly leisurely pace. I think at most we would want to see 5 islands, but perhaps that is even too much?
My main concern is going to Santorini and Mykonos. We have heard a variety of oppinions on it, and to be honest, I personally don't like being in very touristy places. I want to feel like I'm in a different country. Some have raved about it, and some have complained. As far as Jeremy is concerned, we should go, and if we don't like it, we can hop on the next ferrie and leave to our next destination. What is your opinion on this?
We have also heard differing opinions on ferries vs Olympic Air. My greek friends told us explicitely NOT to take Olympic air for a variety of reasons. On the other hand, I've heard some not so great things about the ferries.
I know it's all subjective, but all your opinions are appreciated.

thanks,
Karen & Jeremy

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 08:33 AM
Thyra

Well, regarding Olympic Air, I had heard nothing good about it, delays, and cancelled flights etc. We decided that for the money and the time saved it could not be beat. Well, I don't know if this is true for everyone, but Olympic was fine, Every single flight on time and one was, if you can believe it, EARLY! Also, it ended up costing us less then $200.00 for two people for three seperate flights. But we were fully prepared for delays and brought big books to read, so I guess it pays to be ready for anything. I think Crete, Mykonos and Santorini plus some time on the mainland (Delphi is amazing) and Naxos, (an island that people seem to adore, though we did not go there) would be fine to do in the amount of time you have, we ended up wishing we had more time on Santorini, (be sure and visit recently discovered Ankotiri which is a city older then Pompeii and really fascinating) We had to get back to Athens where we had a yacht chartered, which was an adventure all it's own. Feel free to email me with specific questions.Also I think you are very smart not to drive in Greece!

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 08:38 AM
Susan

Karen, personally I think 5 islands would be too much in 17 days. I prefer a slower pace. We ended up spending 2 days/3 nights on Rhodes (which wasn't really enough), 4 days/5 nights on Santorini (which was really more than enough), 4 days/4 nights on Naxos (good amount of time). We flew from Athens to Rhodes, Rhodes to Santorini and from Naxos to Athens. All the domestic flights on Olympic were fine (the international flights to/from Toronto / Athens were a different story!).

We were concerned about renting cars, but we rented on both Santorini and Naxos. The roads were quite easy to navigate, we're used to driving standard transmission and we were fine. However, if you don't drive a standard, automatics are harder to find and much more expensive, I think. We found public transit in Santorini wasn't that good. (Car rental was only $30 CAD, so really cheap.)

I guess what I found about Santorini was that it is too touristy. It's beautiful, but didn't feel very Greek to me. We took a hydrofoil from Santorini to Naxos and I much preferred Naxos. I first visited Naxos 24 years ago and it still seems "Greek". They aren't dependent on tourism to the same extent as Santorini. There's also lots to see there.

That's not to say that you shouldn't visit Santorini - maybe plan 2 or 3 nights there and you can always move on.

I haven't gone to Mykonos - it seemed too touristy 24 years ago and it definitely seems too touristy now for me.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip. We went to Rhodes, by the way, because it is so close to Turkey - now that's an area that I'd recommend! We spent a week in Turkey and it's fabulous. I can't wait to go back there!

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Liz

Hi Karen

I also like to feel that I'm in a different country, when I'm on holiday. I didn't enjoy Santorini as much as some of the other islands I've been to - and I wouldn't even consider Mykonos!

Santorini DOES have beautiful views. The hillside restaurants in Thira and the sunset in Oia are as good as they say. In addition, there is the site of Ancient Thera, and the Minoan excavations on the south of the island. However, if you don't like being around hordes of tourists, I would say that 2/3 days is enough time to see all you need to see on Santorini.

Personally, I always use the ferries rather than Olympic, just on the grounds of cost. However, the Cyclades involve quite long ferry trips, so you might want to use Olympic for to/from Santorini, and ferries between other islands.

My favourite islands in the Dodecanese are Halki, Symi, Tilos, Telendos and Nissyros. These are all very quiet, and I felt as though I was seeing the 'real Greece', although in each case, there was always 4 or 5 tavernas, and at least one hotel, so the necessary infrastructure is in place. In many, there were few cars, which added to the sense of life being at a slower pace, as well as cleaner atmosphere!

Halki has a superb castle and ruined village to visit, with a sandy beach 10 minutes walk from the only town. Symi has an amazingly beautiful harbour, and a good monastery, the nearest beach is about an hour's walk away (from Symi Town/Yialos). Tilos also has a ruined village and a good monastery, and marvelous views from the top of the island (beach is on the doorstep if you stay in Levkadia). Telendos is reached by TWO boat rides from the nearest airport - it was so quiet I was the only British tourist on the island! Pebbly beaches within 20 minutes walk. It's near Kalymnos (sandy beaches very close), which has a large Greek population (not involved in tourism) and a beautiful valley of flowers/butterflies, etc. Nissyros is off the beaten track for tourists (except day trippers from Kos). It has an active volcano, a beautiful monastary, a very beautiful town with narrow streets, and a black pebble beach 5 minutes away.

I also liked Hydra, in the Argo-Saronics (close to Athens). It has a beautiful harbour, lots of attractive churches, and motor vehicles of all kinds are banned!

I can also recommend the town of Molyvos on Lesvos (North East Aegean). This town is picture-postcard-perfect, with narrow streets, grey stone houses with red roofs built around the side of the hill, an attractive fishing harbour, and a Crusader castle at the top. The beach is not perfect (narrow and pebbly), but several hotels have swimming pools - quite a rarity in the less-touristy islands.

I can't advise much on prices, as I've usually gone 'package', but I paid 6000 drachmas a night on Nissyros (early May) and 8000 drachmas a night on Hydra (late September), for a single room with a bathroom. And this was without bargaining!

One final thing, eating out is relatively inexpensive in Greece, so you may not want to cook. A two course meal with wine costs around 3000-4000 drachmas per person. Also, for me, eating out is part of the cultural experience, as a lot of Greek people eat at tavernas. If you avoid the touristy areas, you will find only local specialities on offer - no 'chips and egg' here - and you'll frequently be invited into the kitchen to see what's good today! Another reason for eating out is that many resorts don't have bars (i.e. separate from tavernas), as the Greeks don't tend to drink except with a meal. Although if you can find a kafenio (coffee house) or zaharoplasteo (cake shop) where the locals eat, you can usually get beer, ouzo, brandy, etc.

Good luck, and have a great time. Email me if there is anything else I can help with.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Vic

We did our Honeymoon in Greece and Turkey and we were very happy with the way we did it. 14 days 3 days in Athens(ruin hunting etc-see delphi), then an 8 day cruise that hit Myconos(Yuppie version of Islands)Crete(with the Ancient Civ. and Thrown of King Minos-very cool)Rhodes(Interseting Castels and town)Pathmos(Nothing Remembered)Kushadasi& Istanbul, Turkey. We finished off at Santorini where we stayed for 2 days to enjoy a romantic end to our trip(Santorini is beautiful(Recomended:hotel Volcano View Villas). Want more let me know.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 05:23 PM
KEVIN

HELLO KAREN/JEREMY!

I JUST SPENT MY HONEYMOON IN MYKONOS, SANTORINI, AND ROME. ALSO SPENT A DAY IN ATHENS. MY WIFE AND I TRULY LOVED GREECE.
WE WENT ALL OUT - NO BUDGET- AND HAD A BALL. WE ALSO ARE EXPECTING A LITTLE ONE IN ABOUT 8 MONTHS!

ANYWAY, I WANTED TO SAY THAT I FOUND MYKONOS AND SANTORINI VERY TOURISTY.
DON'T GET ME WRONG, I'D GO BACK IN A HEARTBEAT. BUT IF YOU ARE TRULY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING OFF THE BEATEN TRACK, AS YOU MENTIONED IN YOUR MESSAGE, I'D TRY DIFFERENT ISLANDS.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 04:39 PM
Jeremy

Hello All,

Karen and I would like to thank you all for all of your help. For all of you who volunteered their emails never feer I will be in touch once I have ventured through a few more guide books. Thanks again.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Monica

We went there for our Honeymoon 2 years ago. flew from LA to Athens. We flew the NY to Athens part using Olympic...Boy was that a mistake..never again. We stayed the first night in Athens to get over jet lag and see some sights. We then flew using Olympic(delayed flights every time) to Santorini and stayed for 5 days and enjoyed every min. We aren't really the type to sit on the beach and hate really touristy places just like you do...However, the village of OIa where we stayed was in the most part sooooooo quiet you could hear absolute silence during the day. In the evening all the tourist from the main town of Fira come in bus loads to see the beautiful and famous sunset and leave right after its done. We rented mopeds which were great but next time I would get a car. Try not to drive at nights...very curvy roads. The driving is really not a hassle at all(and i'm a real chicken too). The transportation on santorini is not that great and I would highly recommend a car. You really get a chance to relax and have great food there. Our hotel was great...built into the hillside like a cave. That is common in Oia. We then flew to Mykonos for 4 nights and I thought it was way too hectic and touristy after Santorini. We stayed in a town Platos Gialos(spelling) it was much more quiet and had great beach with restaurants. We liked Mykonos but I wouldn't go there for a honeymoon. Back to Athens for 2 night and home. Delta airlines is now allowed to fly inter island from what I understand and I would suggest that instead of Olympic. Ferries take too long and you will get bored.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 07:49 AM
jhm

If you're interested in ruins, you are going to want to get to Knossos to see the palace of the minotaur, etc.. I've been to Greece a few times. Naxos is lovely. Santorini is very touristy, but beautiful town. I think you should give some thought to Lindos and Rhodes. Paros is supposed to be great, although I've never been. Iraklia is a small island which is a ferry from Naxos and has nice rocky beaches, great hiking and is very budget and "authentic" -- no one goes there, at least when I was there 4 years ago.

The day ferries are fine -- they eat up time, which is the only problem, but they work well enough. If you are going on an overnight ferry, I suppose that this is self-explanatory, make sure that you have your own cabin (on a honeymoon, I'd hope so!). I took an overnight ferry from Naxos to Athens by myself and somehow ended up sharing a room with many people I did not know, and basically spent the night with a pocketknife in my hand. Amusing in retrospect, not at the time.

Please e-mail if you have any questions; I'd be happy to help. Good luck to both of you!

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Karen

Jeremy,

You guys sound very much like my husband & I. We travelled through Greece (and a bit of Turkey) in June 2000 for 23 days. We loved it! We were always on the go... just a few beach days. I just quickly write down our itinery and if your interested for more info, please e-mail me.

We flew directly to Iraklio, Crete (went to see Palace of Knossos)
Then bused (2 hours) to Chania, Crete
Walked the Samaria Gorge (18 Km)..so cool!
Bused back to Iraklio and took a ferry to Santorini (although totally commericalized one of my favorite places..a must see!) Spent 3 days in Santorini.
Took a ferry to Naxos (for 2 days..not long enough..Great beaches)
Took a ferry to Paros (for 3 days...nice but should have spent more time in Naxos)
Then we sailed to Samos (overnight). spendt 2 nights there. Then jumped to Turkey for 2 nights (to see Ephaseus..WOW!) (If we were ever to go back to this region of the world..I would love to spend more time in Turkey! Tons of ruins..stunning beaches..and cheap!)
Then we sailed backed to Athens for 1 night. Took a bus tour to see Metero (mainland Greece). Then back to Athens and flew home.

I can't say how much fun we had. I am jealous of your upcoming trip.

Thanks for reading,
Karen

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Jaime & Rick

Aloha,
We too are going to the Greek Islands at the end of May 2001 for our honeymoon. Has anyone out there heard of the Hotel Sunset on the northern end of Santorini? Any other suggestions for Santorini.... we are looking for a quality place for the first few nights of our honeymoon (~$100.00 US$/nite) before the budget begins. From there we will also look to island hop until we land in Athens 8 days later. Any hotel suggestions in Athens also appreciated ($40 to 60/nite?). We'll keep checking your site here as it seems we're on the same plan! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
~~~ jaime & rick

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Monica

Hi Jaime and Rick...try to go to a website called "greekislands.com" you will see a picture of all or most of the hotels on the islands and get a virtual tour of the island. The hotel you want sounds like its in the village of Oia on Santorini. Great part of town..We went to Santorini for our Honeymoon and stayed in Oia. Less touristy and very romantic.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Bhaskar Thiagarajan

We're going to be there in the last week of May 2001 too! We found a place called Volcano Villas (not Volcano's View Villas) in Oia. It will cost us about $90 a night...from what I hear it's a bargain. I hope the place turns out to be decent. We decided to stay only in Santorini and make day trips to other islands. Thanks to others for your tips...
-Bhaskar and Aarthi