Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Scandanavia or France??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Bradamante

We are just beginning to make plans for our honeymoon in the middle of July. We want to go somewhere where the weather will be tolerable and we can have a nice and relaxing time. We are thinking that we will have about 14 days more or less and want to keep it around $6-7k.

We have done some preliminary research and are thinking that Scandanavia sounds lovely as does France (countryside, not Paris). We are a bit stumped as to where to go from here. Both places might not be possible, but one would be fine. We haven't traveled outside the US (except brief excursions into Canada) and would appreciate anything you have to offer, including suggested places to visit, things to do, etc. We like the idea of bed and breakfasts and off the path places, but would be game for about anything. I speak moderate French, but no Norwegian (I guess that shouldn't be a problem, though).

Thank you!

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 02:18 PM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bradamnte,

For two weeks: Paris and Venice.

Don't argue with me. I know what I am talking about. I am much older than you and I have been there.

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:06 PM

EVERYONE seems to speak English in the Scandanavian countries. Even the two 60 year old cops who pulled me over for a speeding ticket out in the middle of nowhere in Sweden.

As far as my preference??? It really is a tossup.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:42 PM

Why not do a side by side check list to decide? Climate (warm in France vs cool in Scandinavia) History? Architecture? Art? Wine? Natural beauty? Maybe that would help you decide. Either could be a great choice - as could any of many other options. (I found sailing through the Stockholm islands in the incredibly long evenings to be terrifically romantic - and Venice in July would definitely not be for me.)
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Depending on exactly where you go in Scandinavia of course, but in July it has the advantage of being warm, but not so bad you need air conditioning. And the light is fantastic (I know as I live in Oslo), in July you will probably have the sun setting around 23:00 and with 3-4 hours of twilight after that, then maybe 1-2 hours of darkness, and twiligt and morning from 5 and out. Which is really lovely if you like the outdoors and the nights... And we have good dark curtains for those that want a nights sleep as well

And I dare say that Scandinavia is less crowded than France in July. And as mentioned you will not have any language problems, they might sound funny, but you WILL understand what they are saying

Come with a few more details about what kind of vacation you are thinking of and I might be able to give some hints. I would not advise to do both scandinavia and france though if you want a relaxing vacation. As they are rather far apart...

Cobos
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 10:23 PM

Bradamante, one of the deciding factors might be the July timing. I assume that's set in stone because of your wedding. So how about taking advantage of the summer timing and going to Scandinavia? While I suppose Scandinavia can be visited at any time of year, the idea of going there in the summer appeals to me more than going there in any other season.

France, on the other hand, has a much broader window of opportunity (at least it does for me). Perhaps you could go to France another time when you can go in the spring or fall (unless one of you is a school teacher, and you're pretty much confined to summer vacations).

I also like Nytraveler's idea of drawing up two lists. There must have been some factors that drew you to Scandinavia and France in the first place. You might re-visit those factors.

I love Paris, so I'm reluctant to contradict Ira's advice re Paris and Venice, and am doing so only because of the July timing thing.

I've never been to Scandinavia, but my husband has been to Sweden, and he loved it (and that was in winter to boot).

Old Dec 31st, 2003, 05:04 AM

For me, there is no question. France! While France (and Scandanavia,too) had record heat last summer, France is normally quite moderate in the summer. I would spend a week in Normandy and Brittany and a week in Paris. If you have never been, Paris will delight you and you will want to return often.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 05:22 AM

Another vote for Scandinavia. I have been to Norway, Sweden and Finland and think the country and cities are wonderful. Stockholm is beautiful as is the countryside around it. Copenhagan is also a great city. Oslo, Norway is also a great city.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:44 AM

Have reread these responses and think you should define what "tolerable" is for you. I have been in France 4 times in the summer and each time there have been days that I consider unbearable (high 80's/low90's) - especially since very few places in Europe have air conditioning. On the other hand I found Scandinavia a delight (vs New York ) in August - highs in the mid 70s and in the 60's at night. But it really all depends on where you're from, what type of temperatures you enjoy and how dependent you are on air conditioning.

Suggest checking out exact temps in the locations you're most interested in.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 02:56 PM

Bradamante: We love Scandinavia and would never discourage you from going there. I could see a Honeymoon at Roisheim, a 15th Century farmstead in the hills not far from the fjords or Kirkenes with the views of the fjiords from your balacony at the hotel. But, and I think it is a big "but", July in Norway and Northern Sweden brings 20 plus days of rain (go to http://www.weatherbase.com/ to verify; twenty years of historic weather data go into their reports.
France would have about six days of rain in July on average. I could see a hilltown in Provence or a village in Languadoc or Normandy for a relaxing Honeymoon. We don't really know what you like to do, so we can only make suggestions in terms of weather and beautiful, relaxing areas. Anyway, something to think about and, perhaps, motivate more questions. Good Luck.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 03:47 AM

You say Scandinavia, but just mention Norway in your first post. Would you consider Denmark or Sweden also? Maybe two or three places?

No guarantees that Scandinavia will be cool in July - Scandinavia had the heat wave this summer too. But you can be pretty sure that most parts of Scandinavia will be much cooler than most parts of France.

In Scandinavia you will have the wonderful long, long days (almost 24 hours) in July. These are fabulous. But you might want to go to at least one location that's not known for being rainy at that time (e.g. Bergen will probably be rainy).

Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but my guess is that you would likely get better food on average, at a cheaper price, in the countryside of France than most places in Scandinavia. Not that you can't get good food in Scandinavia, of course.

Do you want to do hiking? What do you have in mind for sightseeing?

Personally, I would choose Scandinavia in your situation, just because I am such a wimp about heat and I don't like crowds that much either.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 10:47 AM

My suggestion would be to head for upper Provence and have a romantic stay at Les Hospitaliers, our favorite hotel in the whole world, in the tiny medieval village of Le Poët-Laval. Nothing could beat dining on the outdoors terrace at night, watching the stars come out above you in a night of quiet. From the hotel area there is much of interest, including the small town of Dieulefit, many local potteries for which the region is famous, and other hillside villages.

If you decide to stay there, ask for room 18. It's quite large and has loads of storage space for a week's stay.

BTW, the food in the restaurant is marvelous.

From Les Hospitaliers you could go south and spend another week either in the Luberon or the area around St.-Rémy.