Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Paris/Zurich--need travel advice

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Lydia

My finace and I will be getting married July 21 and are planning our honeymoon to begin the very next day. We would like to travel to Zurich for 4 days and then head to Paris for the next 6. We are looking for recommendations on where to stay, what to do, where to eat, etc.... can anyone out there offer us any advice?

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Shannon

The Hotel Opera in Zurich is centrally located, good breakfast included, and air conditioned.

As for Paris, what sort of accommodations and price are you looking for?

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Zurich

I hope you have a good reason for beginning your married life in the armpit of Europe.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:48 AM
Lynn

Can't imagine why someone would post that Zurich is the armpit of Europe. Please don't pay any attention to such a stupid untrue remark. Zurich and surrounding cities (especially Lucerne) are great and a wonderful way to begin your married life! Be sure to venture out to some off the beaten trail villages for the true Swiss ambiance. Lynn

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:55 AM
greg gallagher

I agree Zurich is beautiful and so is Paris. There is a small restaurant in St Germaine right behind le Deaux Magots called Le Petite Zinc that I higly recommend and is not that expensive.. My wife had never been to Europe. I took her to Paris for our Honeymoon and stayed at the the Tulip Le Cayre. She is hooked. Consequently I was born in Zurich, and couldn't disagree more with the previous poster. Probably just another "Ugly American". I am extremely jealous and happy for you! Please narrow down your questions and I would be happy to answer what I can.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:26 AM
Vivienne

Greg why do you assume that every negative comment comes from an American?
Swiss are not so innocent, lets see they kept money from many Jews. Nazi gold. You should be ashamed to be from Switzerland!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:34 AM
Eric

Hotel Mansart is where we stayed for our wedding trip in Paris. Located in 1st Adir. in the same building as the Hotel Ritz. Friendly staff and reasonable price in an excellent location. We returned for 14 days in 2001 and Mansart was booked. We stayed at Hotel Brighton on rue de rivoli. Part of same hotel chain. Excellent view overlooking tulieries garden and louvre. Also wonderful view of the eiffel tower from our room. Beautiful at night when lit.

What to do? We spent 20 days there and still have alot to see and do. Restaraunts...Cafe Foy...Also took day trip/tour to London via the eurostar train for 300USD for two people. Excellent tour of London in a day. Beautiful ride through Northern France.

Have Fun

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:36 AM
Sounds okay

Paris is great for honeymooners.

And Zurich is a good place to stay in bed for four days.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:56 PM
Rex

John and Yoko did something like this Zurich suggestion.

At the Amsterdam Hilton. Even though there's stuff to see and do there.

Man, they're only trying to get 'em some peace.

Man, you know it ain't easy.

You know how hard it can be.

The way things are going.

They're gonna crucify me.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:11 AM
Helen

Lydia-
Switzerland is wonderful. I was in Zurich in july 2000, and it was wonderful. The hotel you must stay at is Hotel Widder. It's unparalled. It's new, although in typical european style, the architecture combines old (town houses) with new (connected by glass). It's very luxurious and very much worth it! Do check it out... I'm not sure if you've got a budget or not, but this is worth it. The rooms are very lovely and the bathroom is extremely spacious (something to watch out for in europe). And the restaraunt is also very good. It's also a great location. You can take bus tours/ day trips of the sorrounding area that are great. I would recommend you buy a fodors guide and take that with you - it'll supply you with lots of thing to do. Happy honeymoon!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:29 PM

to the top