Honeymoon in Paris - where to stay?

Jan 21st, 2000, 07:18 AM
Joe

Honeymoon in Paris - where to stay?

My brother is getting married in May and would like to honeymoon in Paris. I only backpacked through there, and I don't think he and his new wife want bunk beds.

He is looking for a clean, comfortable hotel near the center of Paris. He was talking about staying at the Hilton at CDG because he thaought it would be safer and I'm trying to talk thim out of it by offering better alternatives closer to the center of the city.

Thanks a bunch.

Jan 21st, 2000, 07:36 AM
s.fowler

I've been recommending Hotel Bersoly's since we returned from our December Paris trip. It's charming, in a wonderful safe convenient neighborhood in the 7eme, just steps from the 6eme with good restaurants and shopping as well as an easy walk to the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay. The rooms are named after and decorated in the style of various French painters. Here's the website: http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007bersolys2.htm It runs about 100-120 USD a night depending on whether you require a bathtub or just a shower. All the rooms I saw [about 5] were charming and the front desk is very helpful. We're sold

Jan 21st, 2000, 08:18 AM
Dr. Love

Hmmm, a chain hotel miles from anything--this spells romance to your brother?
If'n I were to need a hotel and could afford Hilton prices, I think I'd head to the Hotel Jeu de Paume on the Isle St. Louis--can't get mroe central than that, and unless they need big Amurrican rooms, they should be fine.

Jan 21st, 2000, 09:39 AM
Bob Brown

I suggest looking into the Hotel Muguet
in the 7th Arr of Paris. I don't see any logic at all of staying that far out. Paris is an exciting city; seemingly vibrant all the time. Why hibernate at the airport?
The 7th is a good district; plenty safe if there are concerns about that.
And, the Hotel Muguet has queen beds. Moreover, I don't think your brother wants a place with single beds, which are fairly common, particular in Switzerland. In fact there is something of a joke that the Swiss put single beds in honeymoon suites.

To return to the safety issue. Does the brother think riding the Metro at night is safe!! I don't think the Paris Metro is as spooky as the subway in New York, but stations like Le Halle give me the creeps.

Jan 21st, 2000, 10:06 AM
bill

Stayed at the Relais du Louvre, and as
the name might indicate a block from the
Louvre, quiet neighborhood, close to
ile de cite and ile St. Louis, two metro
stops with two blocks, left bank just
across the Seine. Hotel clean, staff
helpful and about $125 per night.
Great location for walking. Safe neigh-
borhood and per Paris wonderful restuar-
ants close by.

Have a wonderful trip and marriage.

Jan 21st, 2000, 10:24 AM
Lori

Safe from what? I cannot imagine staying at an airport hotel outside of Paris when the city is full of marvelous places to stay ... please encourage your brother to look into hotels in the city, there are many recommended here or he can do a search on the web -- an airport hotel is not the place for a honeymoon!

Jan 21st, 2000, 11:08 AM
Lori

I highly recommend the Familia Hotel in the 5th. Have stayed there twice myself and am planning on a 3rd stay. Convenient to all, and the metro is very safe, even at night. Don't stay out by the airport, you will miss so much.

Jan 26th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Joe

Thank you everyone. I think the point will be well taken by him.

Jan 30th, 2000, 09:36 PM
Kathy

I think it would be lovely to have a balcony with a view of the Eiffel Tower on your honeymoon. I would suggest they contact the Duquesne Eiffle Hotel and ask for such a room.

Kathy

Feb 5th, 2000, 09:45 AM
Diana

I would recommend the Duc de St. Simon on the left bank. It is in an old mansion and has lots of charm. In a quiet neighborhood with lots of restaurants in walking distance. The concierge speaks English. For a less pricey alternative, the Hotel des St. Peres near St. Germaine, but for a honeymoon, I would go with the Duc du St. Simon.

Feb 5th, 2000, 08:37 PM
Donna

Hotel Muguet has rooms for about $100/night with views of the Tour Eiffel. It's wonderfully located in the 7th. Don't worry about twin beds. We just shove them together, and it make the room seem a lot larger!

Feb 6th, 2000, 08:22 AM
Bob Brown

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/75paccue.htm
Try the above site. Look on the left side of the screen and scroll down to
an area that deals specifically with honeymoon hotels. Perhaps you will find something there of interest.

The idea of shoving the beds together is a good one. The only problem is that the hotel we were in last summer had the beds nailed (actually bolted) to the floor. Darn! Left my claw hammer at home.
And the Swiss Army knife would not quite cut it! The bolts that is.

Feb 16th, 2000, 06:57 PM
Joe

Well, I'm not sure about the double bed thing... however, we are still searching... thanks a bunch to all who have contributed so far and in the future.

Feb 16th, 2000, 11:00 PM
Jeanne

I would never stay at the Hilton if I were on my honeymoon. It's terrific if you're taking an early plane thenext morning but you might as well be in the U.S.

Take a look at www.bparis.com. After reading their hotel reviews, we opted for the Duc St. Simon and were very pleased. The rooms are small but it's in an extremely safe and lively (6eme) neighborhood. We'd book there again IF we could get a reservation. The hotel gets booked up well in advance.

Feb 17th, 2000, 02:54 AM
Donna

I'm sure you can convince your future sister-in-law that staying in Paris is much more romantic than at an airport hotel and "commuting" to the city and back every day. I have two tips, though. Book right away (and keep shopping if you like). Rooms in Paris these days fill quickly - particularly at the most popular places listed in all the tour guides and on all the travel forums. For the best selection, it's essential to book as early as possible (otherwise, by the time you narrow down your choices, they're likely to all be unavailable). And, if you are trying to decide between several places, pick the one nearest a metro stop. After a long day of seeing and doing, an extra block or two back to the hotel can seem like miles.

Feb 17th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Anthony

The Caron de Beaumarchais in the Marais District, near the Ile St. Louis, Notre Dame would be a good choice. The Marais area is a bit Bohemian like the Village and SOHO in New York. Very attentive service by Alain and his Dad.

Recommend it highly.

Feb 18th, 2000, 12:39 PM
elaine

I agree with everyone else...Don't let him stay at the airport Hilton !!! There are plenty of wonderful hotels in the city. For romance, I suggest the 5, 6, or 7 arr. We stayed in the Hotel D L'Abbey in the 6th. It was lovely and we had a double bed (small room) and a great bathroom. There were many other great hotels in the area. Just look in this forum and guide books. Paris is safe (if you remember to bring your brain along on vacation and use common sense !) and can't miss for romance !

Feb 18th, 2000, 05:48 PM
Joe

Thanks again folks for all your insights. BTW, when I said "safe" the first time I meant having more knowledge about what to expect rather than safety... I've been to Paris and it was as safe as anywhere else.

Feb 18th, 2000, 06:13 PM
MaryBeth

Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles-75 Rue Du Cardinal Lemoine they speak English and it is quite lovely and readonably priced. I think we paid 150/night

Feb 19th, 2000, 09:27 PM
Carol

I've stayed at several charming, small places in Paris, but when I travelled with my mother and sister, they insisted on something familiar. My sister had a corporate rate at the Hotel Sofitel in La Defense. It was very "safe," in the predicatable sense. It's not centrally located as many of the other suggestions are, but is is near a Metro stop. We took the Metro as far as the Arc du Triomphe, then hopped off to walk the Champ Elyesee. La Defense is a very business part of town, everything closed at 5pm or so, so we made sure to eat dinner before heading back. We always tried to walk at night, since it is, after all, the city of lights, but would hop on the Metro for the last leg. There's a mall with a large,US style grocery shop across from the hotel, so we ate picnic style in the hotel a couple of times. Your brother could do much better in Paris, but if he's looking for something sort of corporate and familiar, this may be the place for him. It was very quiet at night...

Search this Thread