Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

honeymoon in Paris on a budget -- restaurants in the 7th?

Old Jul 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son will be going on his honeymoon to Paris. They have rented an airbnb apt. on Rue Mouffetard. I am not much of a foodie nor am I terribly familiar with Paris restaurants, so I'm hoping some of you can help.

Can you recommend some places for the not so sophisticated European traveler, young, on a budget but an occasional splurge might be in the cards. They have planned for about $150-$175 a day for all expenses outside the lodging, so "splurge" for them might not be "splurge" for you! They have spent months planning everything and have guidebooks with lists of restaurants, cafes, etc, but I thought some fodorites might have some favorites to add. I have been searching through the threads and have a few names, but some of the posts are years old and I know how restaurants change.

Many thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 04:49 PM

You really need to give us a budget. If the amount listed is for transport, entrance fees, food and shopping (hopefully very little for the latter) there is definitely no room for a splurge - which would be at least $250 for dinner for 2 with wine.

It sounds more like they need a list of good budget places.

Although with an apt they can at least have breakfast and late night snacks at home to save money.

(We figure about $25 per person for a basic lunch and about $80 to $100 for dinner with wine in a pleasant but not upscale restaurant.)
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Well, they will not want to spend more than $100 for dinner for two, I am assuming. Breakfast they will do in the apt, lunch they will have a picnic or a sandwich in a cafe. I realize that's not much in Paris, so yes you are absolutely right, they need a list of budget places.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:31 PM

PLEASE, make a reservation for them at La Florimond for dinner. Tell them it is special. We have eaten there "often" and most recently for DH's significant birthday. It is small, intimate, but they will be "attended to". just my suggestion for a memorable meal.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:44 PM

I also loved Le Florimond. But Rue Mouffetard is the 5th Arr., not the 7th, in case you are looking for places in their immediate vicinity.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Ha, I told you I wasn't very familiar with Paris. Thanks for the correction on the arrondisement.

I see that Le Florimond has a 35 euro menu (assume wine is extra), would that be the way to go?

Food is not at all the main attraction for them, and I assume they'll have a few gyros dinners, but having a few "cute little budget places" for a real meal or two would be nice.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 06:31 PM

I'm still talking up Les Bistro des Gastronomes in the 5th. On another recent thread I recommended it. It is charming, very good, and more like what they might consider a splurge. I know we ate there for less than $100.

For less expensive meals, maybe a crepe restaurant would be nice.

Surely there must be some budget dining guides out there. Years ago, we used to use Sandra Gustafson's Cheap Eats books, which became Great Eats, but that was, as I said, years ago.

How about Time Out? They usually include some inexpensive options in their dining guides.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM

Posted by: lreynold1 on Jul 12, 13 at 8:40pm
My son will be going on his honeymoon to Paris. They have rented an airbnb apt. on Rue Mouffetard. I am not much of a foodie nor am I terribly familiar with Paris restaurants, so I'm hoping some of you can help.
They have planned for about $150-$175 a day for all expenses outside the lodging

I assume that $150-$175 a day also excludes the air tickets. Otherwise they won't be eating, period.

I consider myself a frugal traveler. On my last visit to Paris five years ago (already! - it seems like last week) my daily eating expense was $84 and my daily transportation in the City was $16. That's $100 for one person. There are many other expenses when traveling, especially in Paris.

I suggest that the kids beg, borrow, or pinch another $100/day if they want to enjoy Paris comfortably.

To economize they can cook in a couple of times. The market at rue Mouffetard is really quite a sight, and they can buy their groceries there like the locals. I used the market at Place Maubert on Blvd. Saint Germain to buy cheese, bread, cold meat, fruits, and wine to prepare dinner in my room a couple of times.

For a honeymoon couple I suggest the restaurant Montparnasse 1900. This has been one of my favorites for decades, especially back in the days when it was named the Bistro de la Gare. It is a beautiful place and the prices are reasonable. See the site at http://www.montparnasse-1900.com/. I suggest that they avoid the steak. It will be a big disappointment, especially for Texans. Montparnasse 1900 is over in the 6th, a short hike from Rue Mouffetard which is in the 5th as pointed out by Progol. Rue Mouffetard bisects the 5th.

The 5th is home to some universities, thus the term Latin Quarter. Therefore there are many low cost eateries in the LQ. The kids could also eat at one of the U's. I went to the Sorbonne cafeteria with some other students from the Alliance Française one day. It was probably the cheapest in town but also the worst lunch since I was in the Ukraine. The lunches at the Alliance Française are very good and cheap, and you don't have to be a student there to get in, at least that is the way it used to be. On the days when cous cous was on the menu it was a feeding frenzy.

The rue Huchette is home to many cheap Greek restaurants. That was the only place where I got sick in Paris, and I was REALLY sick for a couple of days. The Caveau de la Huchette is a really great jazz and R&R bar, http://tinyurl.com/p75t4fr. Go downstairs for dancing in the cellar. This is a late night place. I lived nearby and had a lot of fun there.

Looks like I am writing a book here. Stop.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 12:02 AM

What a wonderful honeymoon. Congratulations.

They can certainly make this budget work. My husband and I rarely take public transport as Paris is such a great walking city. The markets are, as previously noted, fantastic.

You can also save money by eating a restaurant meal at lunch vs. dinner. And when we were last in Paris, we drank tap water (and it was often chilled in a carafe and brought without our asking) so tell them not to feel shy asking for that vs. bottled.

They should read "the moveable feast" before they go - about Hemingway's time in Paris. He lived on rue moufftard. We took a Paris walking tour of this neighborhood called "Hemingway's Paris".

If they buy a museum pass and really use it (we once focused a trip around our museum pass), they can also save money.

As for giving up shopping, I think they can live without that.

Again, enjoy. In 50 years they will return and point to their little rue moufftard apartment and relive this trip and wonder where the time went.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 04:55 AM

Yes on the prix fixe menu at La Florimond.
I think they can do it, but will need to plan. They can buy a navigo for transport for their time, if it covers the days they will be there. It goes from MOnday to Monday, and is good for bus and metro.
They need to understand the ways of restaurants and cafes. If they eat breakfast at a local café standing at the bar for their coffee and roll, it is much cheaper than sitting down at a table and even less than sitting on the "patio", for example. So that could be about $5 each. If they can fix it in their place, it will be a little less probably.
They can get a sandwich of ham, cheese on a baguette for lunch and eat on a bridge for cheap. Or a crepe from a stand--again, don't sit down!! That would be maybe $15 for both.
Then have dinner--menus are posted outside of eating establishments so they can see how much. Tip is included--the price is the price.
SO if they are careful and pay attention, they CAN eat for about 50E/day (about $65, I guess) and have a "foodie" meal. If they take that big meal out of the equation for some days, they can eat for less.
If they do a museum pass, they need to maximize the use for the consecutive days.
AND do not order a Coke in a café!! It will be startingly expensive!!
Yes, on the carafe of tap water--no problem.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 05:09 AM
ira

>PLEASE, make a reservation for them at La Florimond for dinner.

Ditto

Old Jul 13th, 2013, 05:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
A splurge for two young people in Paris does NOT have to be $250 for dinner for two with wine. I have never had that big a splurge in Paris, and I am over 60. And there are lots of places in the 5th arrondissement for much, much less. They all have signs posting their prices outside.

The least expensive way to eat in moderately nice restaurants (the type of place that might be a splurge for a young couple on a budget) is the menu or formule, a set price for two or three courses.

A place I really like in the Latin Quarter is Le Buisson Ardent, near the Jussieu metro station. Modern French cooking, a small and attractive bistro atmosphere. They have a lunch menu at 24 euros for two courses and 27 euros for three courses. At dinner it is 40 euros for three courses. http://lebuissonardent.fr/

Another good choice is Le Pre Verre, on the rue Thenard near the College de France and the Sorbonne. Modern French cooking with some Asian accents, very popular, must reserve. Lunch formule for two courses including a glass of wine and coffee is a bargain at 14 euros. Dinner menu, three courses for 30 euros not including wine. http://www.lepreverre.com/en/paris/l...t-a-paris.html

And since you asked about the seventh arrondissement, even though they are not staying there, I really like the Café Constant on the rue St. Dominique. More traditional French fare than the other two I have mentioned, and I have absolutely loved everything I have had there over several visits. The website says a three course menu without wine is about 23 euros. They do not take reservations. http://www.maisonconstant.com/cafe-constant/en/
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate both the recommendations and the tips. I will make a call to Le Florimond to see about giving them a meal there as a treat. I assume I can just give them my credit card over the phone, I think my French is good enough to read out the numbers, but just barely.

I know that the food is unlikely to be the focal point of the trip, but an occasional nice meal would add to the fun, I think. They've been grad students for a few years now and are used to cheap cheap cheap, so even a crepe standing up will be special!

I'm taking lots of notes, thanks for the tips.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 06:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.thefork.com/restaurant/le...nt_reservation

The Fork has lots of discounts available.

Walking near The Seine around the Notre Dame area at night is full of activity and fun. We booked Le Reminet(across from Notre Dame on the left bank) and happily received 40% off our wonderful dinner.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...de_France.html

If they like salad,steak & frittes Relais Entrecote is always good. It's served family style, so all you can eat and they've been serving just this one dish for 150 years. There is usually a line to get in but it moves fast. The only other thing you can order is a choice of dessert and wine. We've been there many times in Paris and other cities in France. If your hungry it's the place to go. Yes, it's a chain in France and many people shy away from it but it's a nice room, good service and good food.

There is one just off of St. Germain, down the street from Le Flore cafe on St. Benoit---easy to find and they will enjoy walking on the lively streets back to their apt.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...ntrecote.fr%2f

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...de_France.html

Here's one of our favorites. It's on Ile St. Louis. Again near Notre Dame, a great area to walk before or after dinner.

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant...de_France.html

We've probably had dinner here 8-10 times through the years. The room is fantastic, small, cozy and cute. They have a price fix dinner with 3 courses for about 36 Euro. You can also order ala carte but that is usually pricier unless you choose only 1 course.

I realize that these choices are a bit out of their area, but not by much and being by The Seine is beautiful at night. Even when we stay away from the river, we find ourselves back there almost every night.

Good luck.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 06:47 AM

I will put one caveat on steak frites in France. French beef is not like American beef and can be quite chewy.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 08:09 AM

Both of these are in the 5th, but if they are going to be around there some evening (we didn't try lunch at either place):

Just south of the Pantheon, we had one of our best dining experiences in years at L'estrapade, 15 rue de l'Estrapade. It has only 22 seats, so do have the hotel make reservations for you. They offered 3 excellent courses at dinner for around 33 euros.

Just north of the Pantheon near the Sorbonne, we had 2 really nice meals at Le Coupe-Chou, 9,rue Lanneau. It is larger than L'estrapade, with several rooms. We preferred the old, stone rooms towards the entrance, but the food was excellent no matter the room.
Old Jul 17th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone, I'm compiling a list! Yostwl, it turns out I mixed up my arrondisements -- they have an apt in the 5th, so your recommendations are perfect!

A friend is going to call Le Florimond for me, since that seems to be the hands down favorite for a special treat.