Honeymoon in Mykonos vs. Caribbean

Old May 11th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Rebecca

Honeymoon in Mykonos vs. Caribbean

My fiancee and I are trying to decide between the Greek Isles and the Caribbean for our Honeymoon destination. Please help us decide!

Old May 11th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Susan

For myself, one of the deciding features would be when you're getting married. I would want to go to a place where I could be more or less assured that the weather would be good. I know that lots of people choose to travel in the off season, but I wouldn't go to the Caribbean in the summer months and I wouldn't go the Greek islands in the winter months. My wedding anniversary is in February. We usually try to celebrate our anniversary by going somewhere warm around that time.

Old May 11th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Robin

Wow-- you have a lot of issues to weigh!

One thought I had right away: among the Greek isles, Mykonos is not the romantic, away-from-it-all version of a Greek island that I would want for my honeymoon. Of course you might want night life and people, etc.

Another area I would give some thought to is to what degree a cushy resort matters to you. You will probably find more luxury, room service etc. in the Caribbean.

I realize these are small points that barely scratch the surface. I would suggest doing a "Ben Franklin": list the characteristics of each place as you understand them to be. Then decide if those are pros or cons for your honeymoon.

Good luck and congrats!

Old May 11th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Melanie

I am leaving in 3 weeks for my honeymoon in Greece. The reason we choose Greece, was becuase we wanted to go somewhere where the weather would be excellent, but not in the toughest of tourist onslaughts (Ie. July and August for Greece). We live in Texas and can go on a long weekend trip to the Carribean anytime, besides we didn't want an-allinclusive for our honeymoon (not our style). We wanted to take a long honeymoon (2 weeks) and didn't think going to the Carribean would be worth it for that long.

We are going to three islands in Greece highly recommended to us by friends and travel agents. We are doing Hydra (smaller romantic port city) for 4 nights, Mykonos for 3 (its suppossed to be beautiful- it was all over the NBC news today- (Matt Laurer) see their site, plus we like some nightlife), and Santorini for 6 nights - we'll probably do some daytrips from there while we are there as well.

Hope that gives you some ideas why we choose the Greece this time.

But - of course I love the Carribean too!

Old May 12th, 2001, 03:40 PM
e

Hi I would definitely go to The Carribean over the Greek Islands. I was in Mykonos last year. It was pretty but very over run with tourists. My choices are U.S. Virgin Islands, Barbadoes or St. Barths. Enjoy

Old May 12th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Sue

Hi,

The Greek islands would get my vote. The Caribbean has sun, sand, and sea and is a wonderful place to relax and do nothing, but the Greek islands have a charm that is magical. There are so many islands and all are a little different. It will be difficult to decide where to go. Try the web site www.symivisitor.com this is a little gem off the coast of Rhodes. You do not need to stay there for a long time, but a few days would be heaven, then proceed to other islands. Enjoy

Old May 13th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Adriana

Hi Rebecca!
We have not yet been to Greece, but if you decide on the Caribbean, St. John in the USVI is a fabulous destination. We stayed at Caneel Bay Resort in St John and it was wonderful.