Honeymoon in Lake Como Advice

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Jennfer

Honeymoon in Lake Como Advice

We're going to Lake Como and the Amalfi Coast for our honeymoon in August and need some advice on where to stay in Lake Como. We're currently booked at the Serbelloni, but I've read some of the postings on here that it's a bit fussy and filled with older Europeans. Obviously we want to stay somewhere very special since it's our honeymoon, but I don't want to feel out of place as a young American! Just curious about what people think of it and if there are other suggestions of places to stay in the area. We will spend 4 days in Lake Como, 3 in Capri at Casa Morgano and 6 in Positano at Le Sirenuse (any thoughts on those hotels appreciated as well!) Thank you!

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:35 PM
David and JoAnn

We stayed at Villa Serbelloni two years ago. It is elegant, maybe a bit stuffy. But the location, atmosphere, service were superb. Its right in Bellagio, from where you can take ferries to the other parts of Lake Como. Cross over to Varenna for a beautiful boat ride.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 08:53 AM
GAC

Jennifer: congratulations. I personally would not hesitate to stay at the Villa Serbelloni (except for the steep price). It doesn't get any better. However, if you are predisposed for something much smaller and intimate, consider the cosy four-star Hotel Du Lac in Varenna, fully air conditioned, recently updated, and with extremely romantic views of the lake. Check out their website. The price is considerably lower and the rooms will be smaller, but it attracts a younger clientele. Varenna is a jewel, the best kept secret on Lake Como. The Villa Monastero and Villa Cipressi nearby are superlative. No crowds as in Bellagio and Menaggio. Very quiet, less commercialized and in some ways better suited for a honeymoon, particularly in the evenings.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Rex

I certainly didnt find Menaggio crowdedin September (2000).And Ican recommend the Grand Victoria there asquite suitable for a honeymoon stay, at a price way less than the Serbelloni.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:17 PM
GAC

I also stayed at the Grand Victoria in Menaggio and can highly recommend it, particularly room 402 with a full lake view. It is much less expensive than the Serbelloni (four star versus five star) and about the same price as the best room at the Du Lac in Varenna. However, August will be more crowded than September. And I still think that Varenna is more romantic than Menaggio, and the Du Lac more intimate than the Grand Victoria, although both places are superlative and you can't possibly go wrong either way.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:22 PM
coco

I think the Hotel du Lac is in Bellagio--or at least I know there is a Hotel du Lac in Bellagio but is there also a hotel by that name in Varenna?

Also, as to the Serbollini being stuffy: the only thing remotely stuffy might be the formal dining room. I've never eaten there myself with so many temptations outside the hotel but it is very stiff and starchy. Otherwise--the clientele runs the gamut from a to z and have met some fascinating people at the pool, on the terraces and in the lounge and bar.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:27 PM
GAC

The Du Lac in Bellagio (3 stars) is different from the Du Lac in Varenna (4 stars)! Both are excellent, with great views, but the one in Varenna is much more intimate, secluded and romantic. The Du Lac in Bellagio is directly across the street from the ferry landing, certainly convenient, but perhaps not the ideal place for quiet romance!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:58 PM
coco

Thanks, GAC--live and learn! I know that area very well, or so I thought, and just never noticed! While I've always stayed in Bellagio I am extremely fond of Varenna and get over there often (with my blinders on?). Something new to look forward to!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Kay

I stayed 6 fabulous days at Le Sirenuse. On my next trip I tried the Hotel San Pietro and although it was also very special and the food actually better, I was longing to be at Le Sirenuse! I am going back again and this time will stay at Le Sirenuse. The staff is friendly and you just can't beat the atmosphere - very romantic! I haven't stayed on Lake Como yet, but after some research decided to stay at Villa D'Este because of feedback from this site and rants and raves. It isn't any more expensive than Le Sirenuse. I think Bellagio is a better location, but I have a feeling the staff at Villa D'Este will get me anywhere I want to go! Be sure to spend a day in Ravello and see Villa Cimbrone. There is a great ceramics shop in Ravello. I have dishes and even a kitchen table from there. All delivered to Texas in one piece. Can't remember the name of her shop, but just ask for Margarite's shop. Also, be sure and splurge on a sea view room at Sirenuse. Kay

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Gaia

I would go to the lake Como for my silver wedding but not for my honeymoon.

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 10:19 AM
BillJ

Jennifer, let me tell you, you have a fantastic intinery for your honeymoon. Stick with it. And, congrats! Hotel du Lac in Bellagio is very good, we stayed there some years ago. You would be happy either place. Take the ferries around the lake, it will be wonderful. There is a beautiful villa and garden area open to the public across the lake. Take it in.
We did not go to Capri, but I know it's best seen like you are doing it, that is not a day trip.
Positano, ah! Positano. We could go back there in a minute and stay forever. There is a lot written here about the Amalfi coast. You will love it. Take a trip up to Ravello, have lunch or dinner in Amalfi. Lots of great restaurants in Positano.