Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in July - Southern Italy - Please advise thoughts on...

Nov 1st, 2004, 11:18 AM
Bel31

We are looking to travel Southern Italy for our Honeymoon in July. We would like to be on the coast. We are still young and would like a place with nightlife, a bit of history, and beautiful beaches. Can you please recommend some areas to stay/visit and hotels. What are your thoughts on Sardinia? Worth it? I appreciate all opinions, thoughts and responses!

Nov 1st, 2004, 11:31 AM

Sounds like fun, but any of the best beach locations will be crowded in July. How much time will you have?
I am told that Sardinia has the best beaches, but a combo of Positano and Capri sure is romantic and easier logistics. Do not overlook Taormina Sicily--a magical place.
Nov 1st, 2004, 11:48 AM
Bel31

Thanks Bobthenavigator! We are choosing to go to the Southern part for family reasons. I would love to see the NOrth, but it's just not possible. I just need some help planning the see the best areas for my needs!

Nov 1st, 2004, 02:26 PM

I do not understand--what is not south?
Nov 1st, 2004, 02:28 PM

If beautiful beaches are a priority, the best are in Sardinia. All resorts on the coast, including Positano, Capri and Taormina will be crowded in July. Positano's nightlife isn't all that great--a couple of bars and a disco down by the beach. There are more clubs and nightlife around the Costa Esmeralda. You might also check into Sperlonga which as a nice sandy beach and that stretch of coastline between Gaeta and San Felice di Circeo gets a good deal of nightlife in the summer because many of Rome's clubs and discos move to their "summer location" along that coast.
Nov 1st, 2004, 06:40 PM
Bel31

Bobthenavigator - sorry if I didn't make sense! In an earlier post, you recommended the north -Venice, etc. I just remembered your thoughts...and your current recommendations are greatly appreciated. I never took into consideration Toarmina - I am going to seriously look into it!!!

Grinisa - thank you for the recommendations also! A family member of mine has a condo in Sperlonga. Maybe if I am lucky enough, I can use it for a few days! I didn't know it was that popular.

Next question: Are there any resonable priced hotels at Costa Esmeralda? Any recommendations?

Nov 1st, 2004, 07:49 PM
Bel31

Forget it all!!!!!

Just spoke with FH and he perfers to see the history of Italy!!!! Which I believe means northern Italy (Venice, florence, Rome). Also, as many have recommended, the South will be too packed! Now I have to start all over and start researching Nothern regions! Please disregard this whole post! I am soo sorry for the confusion!

Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:33 AM

You could combine a trip to Rome with a visit to Sicily and have the best of both. However, if you or your FH haven't been to Venice, Florence and Rome, that is where I would recommend starting. We are considering Sicily for next fall and I keep being waylaid with my thoughts of Venice even though I have been there several times and have never been to Sicily.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:42 AM

It is not just north or south, it is coastal resorts versus art cities. If you do north, be sure to include a lakes destination for your fix on water and natural beauty. Remember, allow at least 3 nites per destination.