Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Honeymoon in Italy, Oct 2002 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/honeymoon-in-italy-oct-2002-a-134342/)

Mike Johnson Jan 3rd, 2002 09:16 AM

Honeymoon in Italy, Oct 2002

Since my overseas travel experince is limited to Hong Kong, I need some help planning my honeymoon! I was thinking Rome, Florence, and Venice for about 3 days each but where else in Italy should we go? The Amalfi Coast, Tuscany, the Lakes? Any advice on tours, because after all, our Italian for Travelers course may not get us very far!

katherine Jan 3rd, 2002 09:23 AM

Mike go for the gold and rent a car. My husband and I did that and had a blast. If you want to take a tour why not arrange for one while you are in a particular city. I know that the cost of fuel might be high but it was definitely worth it. Plus if you get bored with a city you can leave at your convenience.

dick Jan 3rd, 2002 09:34 AM

If you rent a car be sure to check your credit card coverage. Some exclude coverage in Italy.

Betsy Jan 3rd, 2002 09:38 AM

Mike, how many total days will you have in Italy? You're on the right track with your three days in each city. Read up on the other areas to determine which area interests you and then come back to the board for suggestions. There are a many people who here who have traveled in Italy extensively. <BR><BR>You may be surprised at how much your Italy for Travelers class will help you! My husband and I took a class at our local community college and felt pretty comfortable with basic Italian phrases and customs. If you are willing to try to speak a little Italian, the Italians are very responsive and helpful.

hilary Jan 3rd, 2002 09:50 AM

Hi Mike,<BR>Good choice for a honeymoon trip.We honeymooned there in '97.Apart from going to the cities,as you plan,we then spent a week in Positano on the Amalfi coast and a week touring Tuscany.Positano is very charming and romantic with some nice restaurants and good hotels.The drawback is that the beach is small and stony,but lots of lovely boat trips to take-highly recommend it.(We found Sorrento to be,on the whole,busy and dirty).We stayed at the Hotel Bucca de Bacco.We then went to Florence by train,stayed a few days and then rented a car and stayed in some LOVELY villages around Tuscany-Montepulciano,Castellina in Chianti,San Gimignano.Great food,wine atmosphere.Try to get hold of the following brochures-Magic of Italy/Italian Escapapades.We chose what we liked and booked ourselves where poosble-less expensive.Enjoy!

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Jan 3rd, 2002 11:09 AM

Hello Mike. Lots of choices and they are all good. Here are some sample itineraires to consider. First, decide how much time you can spend and then do not try to do it all. You will return. The Bella Italia is a good starter itineray for about 2 weeks,but not during colder months. Good luck !<BR><BR> BOB the NAVIGATORS’ FIVE FAVORITE ITINERARIES<BR>___________________________________ _____<BR><BR>MAGICAL FAIRYLANDS:<BR> * Arrive and depart from Munich--14 nites--May thru Sep.--car travel<BR> * ITINERARY: Salzburg, Dolomites, Venice, Lake Garda, Bavaria<BR>======================================= =<BR>BELLA ITALIA:<BR> * Arrive Milan, depart Venice--15 nites--car & train travel--April thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: The Lakes, Ligurian coast, Tuscany, Florence, Venice<BR>======================================== <BR>CLASSIC ITALIA:<BR> * Arrive & depart Rome--12 to 14 nites--car & train travel, all year<BR> * ITINERARY: Florence, Tuscan & Umbrian hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================== ==<BR>LA DOLCE VITA:<BR> * Arrive & depart Rome--12 nites--car & train travel--March thru Oct.<BR> * ITINERARY: Amalfi coast, Tuscany hilltowns, Rome<BR>========================================<B R>OF ALPS & LAKES:<BR><BR> * Arrive and depart Zurich--12 nites--train travel--June thru Sep.<BR> * ITINERARY: Berner Oberland, Lugano, Lake Como, Luzern<BR>======================================== These are merely intended to be sample itineraries. Every TRIP PLAN is unique<BR>and is designed to meet your personal travel style, budget, and preferences.<BR>__________________________________ ____

Mike Jan 10th, 2002 05:08 AM

Sorry it's taken a while but I wanted to think everyone for their input. After looking at the prices for smaller tours (under 12 people) and from what you all have said, we're starting to lean towards doing it on our own. I really want to hit the big 3 for a week or so and then close it out with Amalfi, my fiance loves the pictures she's seen. So now I'm on to the next step, planning. Car or train? Can I fly into Venice and out of Rome without paying outrageous rates (I was thinking north to south)?